Failing to find a summer job?

Watch this thread
The Monk
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As it says in the title I`m struggling to find a summer job and I`m getting worried about whether this will damage my cv in the future and I can`t help but feel constantly guilty and anxious that I`m just sat at home whilst my family members all go off to work during the summer weekdays. I was in this same predicament last year and failed to get a summer job, this year has been the same although slightly harder as I didn`t finish uni stuff properly until mid June and had to do stuff at home so I`m only really been available for this month and august and not a lot of employers really want staff for just 2 months.
What makes it worse is that all my friends seem to find summer jobs easily however, they seem to have been at the same places (e.g. supermarkets) which take them back every holiday and know them. My only work experience so far was when I took a gap year before uni and worked at a law firm mostly full time for the best part of a year which I was really pleased with but have since not had a job in my two years at uni (I`m 2nd year going into 3rd). I`m just worried a lack of stuff to put on my cv will look bad and I don`t want to come across as lazy and I really just need some money.
So yeah, just worried how hard people usually find getting a summer job and how bad does it actually look if you fail? I was thinking it might just be easier to just get a job at uni next year but that`s very competitive and I will have a lot of work going on anyway.

Edit - Not sure whether this was the right section to post this in
Cecelia Tallice
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Monk)
As it says in the title I`m struggling to find a summer job and I`m getting worried about whether this will damage my cv in the future and I can`t help but feel constantly guilty and anxious that I`m just sat at home whilst my family members all go off to work during the summer weekdays. I was in this same predicament last year and failed to get a summer job, this year has been the same although slightly harder as I didn`t finish uni stuff properly until mid June and had to do stuff at home so I`m only really been available for this month and august and not a lot of employers really want staff for just 2 months.
What makes it worse is that all my friends seem to find summer jobs easily however, they seem to have been at the same places (e.g. supermarkets) which take them back every holiday and know them. My only work experience so far was when I took a gap year before uni and worked at a law firm mostly full time for the best part of a year which I was really pleased with but have since not had a job in my two years at uni (I`m 2nd year going into 3rd). I`m just worried a lack of stuff to put on my cv will look bad and I don`t want to come across as lazy and I really just need some money.
So yeah, just worried how hard people usually find getting a summer job and how bad does it actually look if you fail? I was thinking it might just be easier to just get a job at uni next year but that`s very competitive and I will have a lot of work going on anyway.

I had the same problem to begin with because I was being selective about where I worked. You basically just need to get on a job site like indeed and see what you can find. Most businesses in the hospitality sector/ retail want extra people over the summer. They will have employees that don't want to work full time over summer so part time positions will be available. It is difficult though. I found a job part time which I absolutely love with the national trust but I have to be free most days incase I'm called short notice. Then I'm just starting another job in the evenings at a hotel. I'd suggest applying to as many adverts as possible asap even if you don't really want to do the job. It's always good to just go into places in person as well and ask. Because like you say you are only available two months and time is ticking you can't really afford to be too picky about what job you go for.
Good luck! Working isn't as bad as I thought it would be Ive met some amazing people and I'm making money.
ImaDogWoof
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Monk)

Work is hard to find for everyone, you will just have to keep looking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (123)
68.33%
No (37)
20.56%
I didn't use it to prepare (20)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed