Wrong exam paper given and sat! Watch

ST96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In my June exam for music I was given the wrong exam paper. I am a QTS (Teaching) student so was supposed to be given a paper which accounted for the topics I had missed whilst on placement. I was told I still had to revise all topics, but that the questions would be different to the normal paper (But was not told how, hence why I didn't realise it was the wrong paper until after I sat the exam). The course year and exam code were still the same, just one was straight music and one was QTS.

No one from the university got in touch with me after the exam, not even to apologise. After a bit of digging and asking around, I was told they would be marking my paper anyway and I'd have to wait till results day and appeal or retake my exam.

I somehow managed to get a 2:1 in the exam (Including a 1st on one half, which pulled my grade up), but I found out the uni had not done an investigation or held anyone accountable for the mistake. They said it would not be investigated at all unless I appeal my grade.

I'm now going through the appeals process, but I'm really annoyed with the way the uni handled all this. I feel as though no one is shocked or bothered by what happened. Even the SU said a 2:1 won't effect my overall grade etc, but its not about my mark... it's the principle of them not even looking into what happened. Despite the countless emails and phone calls this week, I've still not had an apology off anyone!

Where does this leave me in terms of my appeal, and holding the uni accountable for what happened? At the end of the day, uni is a business. Im paying £9250 a year for their services and they mess up like this and try to brush it under the carpet... Surely I should get some kind of compensation, or mitigating circumstances to put my grade up... I don't understand why Im having to go through the same appeals process as everyone else when this is so clearly the uni's mistake. Any advice on where I stand and what to do, or where to complain?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ST96)
In my June exam for music I was given the wrong exam paper. I am a QTS (Teaching) student so was supposed to be given a paper which accounted for the topics I had missed whilst on placement. I was told I still had to revise all topics, but that the questions would be different to the normal paper (But was not told how, hence why I didn't realise it was the wrong paper until after I sat the exam). The course year and exam code were still the same, just one was straight music and one was QTS.

No one from the university got in touch with me after the exam, not even to apologise. After a bit of digging and asking around, I was told they would be marking my paper anyway and I'd have to wait till results day and appeal or retake my exam.

I somehow managed to get a 2:1 in the exam (Including a 1st on one half, which pulled my grade up), but I found out the uni had not done an investigation or held anyone accountable for the mistake. They said it would not be investigated at all unless I appeal my grade.

I'm now going through the appeals process, but I'm really annoyed with the way the uni handled all this. I feel as though no one is shocked or bothered by what happened. Even the SU said a 2:1 won't effect my overall grade etc, but its not about my mark... it's the principle of them not even looking into what happened. Despite the countless emails and phone calls this week, I've still not had an apology off anyone!

Where does this leave me in terms of my appeal, and holding the uni accountable for what happened? At the end of the day, uni is a business. Im paying £9250 a year for their services and they mess up like this and try to brush it under the carpet... Surely I should get some kind of compensation, or mitigating circumstances to put my grade up... I don't understand why Im having to go through the same appeals process as everyone else when this is so clearly the uni's mistake. Any advice on where I stand and what to do, or where to complain?
I havent read the rules for Liverpool Hope, but I expect your appeal is academic in nature and its scope is purely academic.

You should decide whether you wish to make a separate complaint through the official complaints procedure, which will force them to consider your grievance. the details should be on the website or go and see an advisor at the SU.

If you get no joy and remain unhappy then once you complete the internal complaints procedure you can take it to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator once they have issued a completion of procedures letter.

http://www.oiahe.org.uk/making-a-com...complaint.aspx
http://www.oiahe.org.uk/media/93718/...ual_letter.pdf

You can also sue the university in the courts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Liverpool Hope University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19
    Sat, 2 Nov '19
    Wed, 4 Dec '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%