The Student Room Group

Masters housing over summer?

I'm starting a masters degree in September, and I'm looking for housing for next year. I'll have to write my thesis over the summer, but does anyone know if it's a good idea to have housing at my university until September 2018? Because a house I'm looking at will end in July 2018, and obviously if I still need to be going into uni it would be good to still have a house there until the end of my course.

Any insight would be much appreciated
Original post by londer32
I'm starting a masters degree in September, and I'm looking for housing for next year. I'll have to write my thesis over the summer, but does anyone know if it's a good idea to have housing at my university until September 2018? Because a house I'm looking at will end in July 2018, and obviously if I still need to be going into uni it would be good to still have a house there until the end of my course.

Any insight would be much appreciated

You need to contact your uni. Contracts are normally 42 weeks , but they may have postgraduate housing which can cater for a longer stay.

Alternatively a house in the private sector is almost certainly going to be 52 weeks.

Alternatively students on a 52 week contract are normally desperate to sub let or assign their remaining term after they leave in July and you could look to pick up a cheap short term let that way.
Depends where you are - most houses in my town are a 38 or 40 week contract. However, there's also a ton of landlords who are looking to fill rooms for short term lets over the summer, so there's no shortage of housing. My PG accommodation is 52 weeks; the university also allows people on 40 week contracts to apply for an extension in uni accommodation over the summer.

So - it's probably a case of, do you want to keep your options open and take a contract until June/July, so you can go home if you want to and extend if you don't, or do you want to have it wrapped up from the start? Personally I'd recommend the latter - having to move during your dissertation or other assessment periods at the sharp end of the year isn't worth it IMO.

Either way, there will very likely be options whatever you want to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest