The Student Room Group

Should my parents pay me to walk the dog?

A year and a bit ago my dad got a Springer Spaniel, he needs walking. Previously, I couldn't even leave the house due to health issues, now I'm better and offer to walk our dog. I didn't ask for the dog and my dad just pounced it onto us, my mum didn't want it-my brother and sister and him did. I didn't, sorry. I decided to try and be less reliant on my parents for things and wanted to walk our dog in the morning and evening, how much? I don't get pocket money or anything and I am selling things I don't use with their permission. I walk thinking between £4-£7 a day. My parents aren't rich at all and I want to be fair, what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studyyiing
A year and a bit ago my dad got a Springer Spaniel, he needs walking. Previously, I couldn't even leave the house due to health issues, now I'm better and offer to walk our dog. I didn't ask for the dog and my dad just pounced it onto us, my mum didn't want it-my brother and sister and him did. I didn't, sorry. I decided to try and be less reliant on my parents for things and wanted to walk our dog in the morning and evening, how much? I don't get pocket money or anything and I am selling things I don't use with their permission. I walk thinking between £4-£7 a day. My parents aren't rich at all and I want to be fair, what do you think?

Honestly I don't think you can ask for much, you know how bad your parents situation is so only you know if it would be rude to ask for a certain amount. As you say you don't get pocket money so I wouldn't ask for more than an hour of minimum wage for your age if anything at all
Reply 2
You offered. Don't offer if you want to be paid for it
Reply 3

Do you live with your parents? Do they ask for rent?
Tbh the dog is part of the family, everyone should do their job and happily walk the dog without problems.
If you want money then why not find a part time job?
Reply 5
Original post by SGHD26716
Do you live with your parents? Do they ask for rent?

I'm 15 and I do still live with them, I do not pay rent.
Reply 6
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Tbh the dog is part of the family, everyone should do their job and happily walk the dog without problems.
If you want money then why not find a part time job?

I have no clue how to go about it, I'm only 15 so no where will probably hire me-and I use crutches, can you think of anywhere?
Reply 7
Original post by Allie4
You offered. Don't offer if you want to be paid for it

My mum is more than happy to pay me, it's just some extra money-a part of me offering was that I was going to be paid.

Wow, look at you, taking advantage of your parents every chance you get. Taking care of the dog is the whole family's responsibility - why should you get paid to do it? Did you pay your parents for looking after you while you on crutches? If you're desperate for money, go find a part time job at your local supermarket.

You're out of your mind for asking seven pounds for 2 walks down the street.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Honestly I don't think you can ask for much, you know how bad your parents situation is so only you know if it would be rude to ask for a certain amount. As you say you don't get pocket money so I wouldn't ask for more than an hour of minimum wage for your age if anything at all

I think that's a really fair point, thanks. They're quite poor...like we don't do holidays and my dad earns about £20K a year and my mum earns less than £4K a year...
I don'rt think you should get paid. You say you have offered to do this but I don't think you should necessarily have to be the one that walks the dog twice a day in perpetuity unless this is your share of the jobs - with other people doing the washing up, the ironing, the cooking etc, If you don't do any of the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking or gardening then walking a dog seems like quite a good deal.
I have no clue how to go about it, I'm only 15 so no where will probably hire me-and I use crutches, can you think of anywhere?

It'd make more sense if you got paid walking other people's dog like your neighbours so you could try that. Or you can do babysitting?
Reply 12
Original post by honour
Wow, look at you, taking advantage of your parents every chance you get. Taking care of the dog is the whole family's responsibility - why should you get paid to do it? If you're desperate for money, go find a part time job at your local supermarket.

You're out of your mind for asking seven pounds for 2 walks down the street.

I do understand your point, I'm only 15 (well not only) so it was just a bit of side money. I didn't ask for the dog, my dad is lazy and looks for any opportunity to get out of doing anything. Why are you so keen to make me sound so entitled? I doubt the supermarket would hire someone with crutches. My mum is happy with it, my dad isn't keen at all-he refuses point blanc stating it's our dog and he'll give me money when he feels like it-which I don't want-it has no meaning that way.
Guys what the hell? 7 pounds for parents is not that much, and for him to be walking the dog on crutches is amazing. It is not rude to ask for money.
Reply 14
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
It'd make more sense if you got paid walking other people's dog like your neighbours so you could try that. Or you can do babysitting?

Babysitting isn't a bad idea, it's just that all the local kids are unbearable brats and I JUST would end up smacking them to be honest, I don't have the patience.
I think that's a really fair point, thanks. They're quite poor...like we don't do holidays and my dad earns about £20K a year and my mum earns less than £4K a year...

I think perhaps you might not be in a situation you can ask in that case. You possibly don't get pocket money because there's not much spare to go round
Reply 16
Original post by Compost
I don'rt think you should get paid. You say you have offered to do this but I don't think you should necessarily have to be the one that walks the dog twice a day in perpetuity unless this is your share of the jobs - with other people doing the washing up, the ironing, the cooking etc, If you don't do any of the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking or gardening then walking a dog seems like quite a good deal.

I do most of the cleaning in the household, I deep clean the living room once a week (wiping down everything and vacuuming everywhere) and vacuum once a day minimum on Saturday and Sunday. After exam period calms down I will go back to ironing, which I did every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday evening-sometimes even Monday too.
Reply 17
Original post by Leocodron
Guys what the hell? 7 pounds for parents is not that much, and for him to be walking the dog on crutches is amazing. It is not rude to ask for money.

Thanks for defending me, everyone seemed to think I was acting so entitled. Thanks, it's difficult but gets me out.
Reply 18
Original post by claireestelle
I think perhaps you might not be in a situation you can ask in that case. You possibly don't get pocket money because there's not much spare to go round

If I am entirely honest, my dad isn't *poor*, he's a manager of a high-end bathroom appliance/refurbishment company in Fulham and he's moving to a job that pays something like 30,000-he earns somethings around the low-mid 20's at the moment and my mum earns something around 4-6K a year. We aren't in the position to do loads of things, but my dad broken two iPhone 7's I got at Xmas because he got angry at me and he ran over my replacement about 2 months ago that I NEVER got to use. He bough a £240 Segway and purchases £200 suits for work. My mum is so different, she bought Ugg boots in the sale and returned them because she felt she was being selfish.
I do understand your point, I'm only 15 (well not only) so it was just a bit of side money. I didn't ask for the dog, my dad is lazy and looks for any opportunity to get out of doing anything. Why are you so keen to make me sound so entitled? I doubt the supermarket would hire someone with crutches. My mum is happy with it, my dad isn't keen at all-he refuses point blanc stating it's our dog and he'll give me money when he feels like it-which I don't want-it has no meaning that way.

Fair point, don't really understand why your dad bought a dog without letting you know first and then leaving all the jobs to everyone else! In that case, I think you're perfectly entitled to earn some money, maybe £3 for a walk whilst you're on crutches, and no more than £1.50 when you're all recovered.

But tbh I really don't recommend that you walk the dog whilst on crutches, it might make your injuries worse. Can't your brother or sister do it instead?

Quick Reply

Latest