Should I quit my waitressing job? Watch

lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya - I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to do about my part time job so thought I'd come on here for maybe some insight or advice.

I've been working as a server at my local pub for quite a few months, I used to love it and now I sort of hate it. Essentially, I began to hate it once my amazing boss left to start up another restaurant. The atmosphere used to be super friendly and laid back, I never felt anxious about going into work and really enjoyed spending time with my colleagues and stuff. However, once he left, we got a new boss who really hasn't been the kindest. He's never worked in management before - he's kind of lazy and makes you do all of his jobs as well as your own and then berates you for not being fast enough or good enough. I've left a couple of shifts now in tears because I'm really not enjoying it.

Plus, the girls I work with and love will all be leaving in September for uni and I'm worried about the fact that I do about 16 hours a week and really need to start focusing on my A-Levels. Oh, and the head chef is leaving which means the only management above me will be my less than lovely new boss.

The only reasons I want to stay is because of A) money, B) I still love my colleagues and do enjoy my shifts some times and C) its so convenient - i literally live a 4 minute walk away and my parents are regulars.

I'm not really looking for a solid answer just any sort of advice or something because I'm really unsure what to do.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lowza)
Hiya - I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to do about my part time job so thought I'd come on here for maybe some insight or advice.

I've been working as a server at my local pub for quite a few months, I used to love it and now I sort of hate it. Essentially, I began to hate it once my amazing boss left to start up another restaurant. The atmosphere used to be super friendly and laid back, I never felt anxious about going into work and really enjoyed spending time with my colleagues and stuff. However, once he left, we got a new boss who really hasn't been the kindest. He's never worked in management before - he's kind of lazy and makes you do all of his jobs as well as your own and then berates you for not being fast enough or good enough. I've left a couple of shifts now in tears because I'm really not enjoying it.

Plus, the girls I work with and love will all be leaving in September for uni and I'm worried about the fact that I do about 16 hours a week and really need to start focusing on my A-Levels. Oh, and the head chef is leaving which means the only management above me will be my less than lovely new boss.

The only reasons I want to stay is because of A) money, B) I still love my colleagues and do enjoy my shifts some times and C) its so convenient - i literally live a 4 minute walk away and my parents are regulars.

I'm not really looking for a solid answer just any sort of advice or something because I'm really unsure what to do.

Well you just have to do a pros and cons, which seems to be what you are doing.

Option A is to stay despite all the negatives. You dont sound that happy.

Leave and focus on your A levels., which will be more important long term.

Why not start looking around or ask your old boss for a position? If there are any alternatives then you can leave, but until then you will find it easier to get a job if you are currently working. Maybe your horrible boss will leave or calm down?

If you go home in tears again you should be looking to leave for an alternative imo.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
could you go and work for your old boss at his new venue ?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lowza)

How about having a word with your boss?
If you think it will help, then have a word with him. Explain what you arent happy with/whats bothering you. Its worth a try.

How about looking for new jobs?
If you dont think having a word with your boss about any issues you have will help, or if you do speak to him and things dont improve (or get worse), then it might be time to look for something else. Surely there must be something in your area. That way, you still have the money (and all the other benefits like a reference, something on your cv etc), and if you find something close ish to where you live it can still be convenient. You can still stay in contact with your colleagues. Its not right that your coming home in tears. Keep this job until you find something else obviously- its easier to find a job whilst currently employed, and also you can use your boss for a reference etc if need be.
lowza
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Well you just have to do a pros and cons, which seems to be what you are doing.

Option A is to stay despite all the negatives. You dont sound that happy.

Leave and focus on your A levels., which will be more important long term.

Why not start looking around or ask your old boss for a position? If there are any alternatives then you can leave, but until then you will find it easier to get a job if you are currently working. Maybe your horrible boss will leave or calm down?

If you go home in tears again you should be looking to leave for an alternative imo.
Thank you so much. I might try and stick it out until the end of summer - but I really do want to focus on my education. A group of us complained to my old boss and so, thank goodness, he came in and had a strong word with my new boss and he has been nicer recently. Well, essentially he just doesn't say anything to me - which I suppose is better than being mean. He never apologised though, which annoys me, despite him being aware that he has brought me to tears twice. Its probably a good idea to have a little search for some alternatives - as I'm reluctant to go from 16 hours to 0 hours. Thank you
lowza
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
could you go and work for your old boss at his new venue ?
I wish! His new job is 90 miles away from where I work
lowza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
How about having a word with your boss?
If you think it will help, then have a word with him. Explain what you arent happy with/whats bothering you. Its worth a try.

How about looking for new jobs?
If you dont think having a word with your boss about any issues you have will help, or if you do speak to him and things dont improve (or get worse), then it might be time to look for something else. Surely there must be something in your area. That way, you still have the money (and all the other benefits like a reference, something on your cv etc), and if you find something close ish to where you live it can still be convenient. You can still stay in contact with your colleagues. Its not right that your coming home in tears. Keep this job until you find something else obviously- its easier to find a job whilst currently employed, and also you can use your boss for a reference etc if need be.
Its probably a good idea to talk to him - but I'm a little scared to. I know the feeling of unhappiness is mutual with my colleagues so we could join together to talk to him, possibly. I think the idea of finding a new job is really wise, to be honest. The only problem is that I live in a tiny village (theres no other jobs apart from the pub here) and the nearest town is about 3 miles away and I can't drive. I'm learning though, so maybe I could stay at my job until I pass my test which should hopefully only be a few months. I know my new boss doesn't like his job either and has expressed an interest in leaving, so I'm putting some hope on that. Thank you so much for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
22.73%
No (34)
77.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise