Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

MAT Prep Thread 2017 [2nd November 2017] Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've seen a few threads about this year's Mathematics Admissions Test floating around and thought it might be time to start the official thread for everyone who plans to begin preparation over the summer. The key dates for the exam are here.

Good luck everyone!

Credit to Euclidean for the following OP.

Mathematics Admissions Test 2017 Preparation Thread
    Thank you to Gome44 for the thread inspiration

Advice:

\star It's worth studying C3 and C4 before beginning MAT preparation for a better understanding of the concepts behind trigonometry/calculus

\star Start with the earliest papers you can find and ideally try and complete them all by the exam. The papers before 2007 are of an older style and do not follow the same specification as current papers but are good practice nonetheless

\star The earlier papers are somewhat easier than current papers so be careful to not become complacent when scoring highly on early papers

\star Aim to do as many past papers as possible as timed mocks, exam technique is essential to success in the MAT

Resources:

Exam Syllabus
    2015 MAT Preparation Thread
    2016 MAT Preparation Thread
    MAT/AEA/STEP Past Papers
    Official Webpage
    MAT Preparation Powerpoint
    MAT Section B Tips PDF
    MAT 1992-1995 Solutions

Exam Information/Layout:

\star The exam is 150 minutes (2 hours 30 minutes) long

\star There are 5 specific questions to be completed depending on your course

\star The first question consists of 10 multiple choice questions all worth 4 marks each

\star All answers to questions are submitted on plain paper

\star Formulae sheets and calculators are not permitted

\star Compasses are permitted

Graph Sketching:
    Spoiler:
    Show

\star Find the asymptotes of the curve

\star Determine if and where the curve intercepts the coordinate axis

\star Determine if there exist turning points/points of inflexion for the curve

\star Find the limits (if they exist) of the curve

Things to Look for:
    Spoiler:
    Show

\star Opportunities to use the discriminant conditions for a quadratic equation, for example:

\Diamond Any equation representing the x or y coordinate of the point of intersection of a tangent to a curve must have one repeat real root:
     \therefore b^2 - 4ac = 0

\star It is also worth noting that the gradient of the tangent and the curve at the above point are the same

\star The shortest distance between a point and a line is found by taking the normal to the line which passes through the point

\star When asked to find the correct graph for a function, try substituting important values into the function to rule out possibilities. For example, 2013 Q1D.

\star Be aware of useful inequalities:

(a-b)^2 \geq 0 \Rightarrow a^2 + b^2 \geq 2ab

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,
    I am an American student who is planning to do Math for undergrad. I will be applying Oxford, Imperial, etc. Can any of you who have taken the MAT test (Mathematics Admission Test) recommend some good prep books for this exam or give me an idea of what you did to prepare? It would be especially interesting to know if you were an international student

ReputationRep:
    DrFrostMaths.com

I'm doing it this year, the resources on this website are great.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any good way to revise for MAT? Like any videos online out there which help with techniques, how to approach, what to think etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Alessandro and i come from Italy, i want to study at Oxford in Computer Science i know that i do a Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT), my question is there exist online test preparation and topics to study for this test? And i've another question, when is time to do a application for 2019 in Computer Science? Thanks for the responses

ReputationRep:
    What are your grades?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Just tagging previous posters to let you all know that we now have an official MAT thread. alexquarto2310, if you're a 2019 applicant (so am I! ) you won't be applying until near the start of the 2018-19 academic year and you'll sit the MAT in November 2018, so it's quite early for you to start worrying about all this stuff at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Just tagging previous posters to let you all know that we now have an official MAT thread. alexquarto2310, if you're a 2019 applicant (so am I! ) you won't be applying until near the start of the 2018-19 academic year and you'll sit the MAT in November 2018, so it's quite early for you to start worrying about all this stuff at the moment.
    Okay Thanks for this informations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexquarto2310)
    Hi, my name is Alessandro and i come from Italy, i want to study at Oxford in Computer Science i know that i do a Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT), my question is there exist online test preparation and topics to study for this test?
    Start at <http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/how_to_apply/MAT_test.html>.

That page contains a link to the test syllabus. The syllabus is based on the first two core modules of Mathematics A Level. I don't know how that compares to the Italian syllabus, but I hope most of the topics are familiar; you might need to do some self-study using textbooks. You should make sure you know all this material thoroughly.

That page also contains 13 past papers or sample papers. Do as many of those papers as you can. You will probably find the questions difficult: we need to set difficult questions to identify the best students. I suggest that at first you don't worry about speed: just get used to tackling the problems. You'll get faster with practice.

And i've another question, when is time to do a application for 2019 in Computer Science? Thanks for the responses
    The deadline is likely to be October 15th, 2018 (at least, the deadline has been October 15th for some years, so I don't expect it to change). Note that you have to register separately for the MAT, and that involves finding a test centre: your school should be able to register as a test centre, but don't leave it to the last minute.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    Start at <http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/how_to_apply/MAT_test.html>.

That page contains a link to the test syllabus. The syllabus is based on the first two core modules of Mathematics A Level. I don't know how that compares to the Italian syllabus, but I hope most of the topics are familiar; you might need to do some self-study using textbooks. You should make sure you know all this material thoroughly.

That page also contains 13 past papers or sample papers. Do as many of those papers as you can. You will probably find the questions difficult: we need to set difficult questions to identify the best students. I suggest that at first you don't worry about speed: just get used to tackling the problems. You'll get faster with practice.

The deadline is likely to be October 15th, 2018 (at least, the deadline has been October 15th for some years, so I don't expect it to change). Note that you have to register separately for the MAT, and that involves finding a test centre: your school should be able to register as a test centre, but don't leave it to the last minute.

Gavin

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone
    i am considering oxford so i feel like i need to prepare for the MAT.
    i tried a paper and failed spectacularly.
    any advice? i read somewhere that they are designed so you cant prepare for them. i feel incredibly unprepared and would appreciate any response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowkeymaths)
    hi everyone
    any advice? i read somewhere that they are designed so you cant prepare for them. i feel incredibly unprepared and would appreciate any response
    Okay i can help you with the maths section, with the computer science part i guess the past papers are your best bet. Anyway for maths part, firstly you need to do theory, i guess watch some khan academy video on Trigonometry and calculus then go on with the past paper, if you want a reference book the i can suggest

Algebra : Hall and Knight higher Algebra
    Calculus : I A Maron Problems in calculus
    Trigonometry: SL Loney Trigonometry

If you do practice from these books after watching all the video lectures from khan academy I am pretty sure you can ace the maths part.

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone
    Which MAT paper did you try? Some are definitely harder than others Probably the two sample ones are the gentlest by way of introduction.

And why did you feel it went badly? Lack of experience with the style of question? That will come with some practice. Did the solutions make sense? Also remember very few students will score very highly - the MAT is designed to be difficult for most of the people who take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Which MAT paper did you try? Some are definitely harder than others Probably the two sample ones are the gentlest by way of introduction.

And why did you feel it went badly? Lack of experience with the style of question? That will come with some practice. Did the solutions make sense? Also remember very few students will score very highly - the MAT is designed to be difficult for most of the people who take it.
    thanks for your response.
    i sat the 2007 MAT in exam conditions and got around 35%
    i heard that the 2007 paper was the easiest and i heard that it was based off C1 and C2. the problem was i couldnt work out what the question was asking, as once i had worked that out i usually came to the right answer. i guess ill just have to keep practising

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your response.
    i sat the 2007 MAT in exam conditions and got around 35%
    i heard that the 2007 paper was the easiest and i heard that it was based off C1 and C2. the problem was i couldnt work out what the question was asking, as once i had worked that out i usually came to the right answer. i guess ill just have to keep practising
    You definitely want to do some papers under exam conditions, but I think it's probably best just thinking about/mulling over some of the questions first and worrying more about time management once the style and format of the papers becomes more familiar.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.