Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    What do you want to do?
    I don't know for sure yet. Maybe consultancy, or town planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Why are you doing a geography degree if you want to do consultancy.

ReputationRep:
    Would that be like doing real life decision making papers for a career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKS)
    Why are you doing a geography degree if you want to do consultancy.
    Because I love Geography, and want to study it a higher level.

ReputationRep:
    Would that be like doing real life decision making papers for a career?
    "As you'd expect, town planners oversee the development of an entire town or region. This means thinking big! They must understand the needs of a local environment, economy and population and how to make it gel into a pleasant place to live and work. Planning can be very rewarding as it has a major impact on the environment in which everyone lives and works."

ReputationRep:
    "As you'd expect, town planners oversee the development of an entire town or region. This means thinking big! They must understand the needs of a local environment, economy and population and how to make it gel into a pleasant place to live and work. Planning can be very rewarding as it has a major impact on the environment in which everyone lives and works."
    So on a large, much more complex scale.... yes?

ReputationRep:
    So on a large, much more complex scale.... yes?
    Pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much.
    Sounds fun.

ReputationRep:
    hey u shud also look into financial careers. with all the advanced data handling and statistics interpreting we do in geog it makes us great candidates for a job in accounting or something similar. in fact, a REAL statistic about ppl with geog degrees is that they are often recruited by insurance companies as they are needed to help estimate damage claims from natural disasters. by far this sort of thing makes insurance companies pay out billions to cover the costs of the damage. so they are willing to pay top dollar to geog ppl who know how to help them.
    good luck with ur ps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbane)
    hey u shud also look into financial careers. with all the advanced data handling and statistics interpreting we do in geog it makes us great candidates for a job in accounting or something similar. in fact, a REAL statistic about ppl with geog degrees is that they are often recruited by insurance companies as they are needed to help estimate damage claims from natural disasters. by far this sort of thing makes insurance companies pay out billions to cover the costs of the damage. so they are willing to pay top dollar to geog ppl who know how to help them.
    good luck with ur ps.
    Thanks very much! Where do you study geog?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much! Where do you study geog?
    lol sorry i dont study it im about to start A2 but im thinking of doin geog. everyone in my family is a doctor of sumkind so when i said i wanted to do geog instead of medicine it was like a joke. still is. and to everyone else. but i'll have the last larf when a giant volcano explodes or a asteroids hits us. THEN WHOS GOIN TO GIVE THE ESTIMATE????? MOO HOO HAR HAR HARRRRR!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol sorry i dont study it im about to start A2 but im thinking of doin geog. everyone in my family is a doctor of sumkind so when i said i wanted to do geog instead of medicine it was like a joke. still is. and to everyone else. but i'll have the last larf when a giant volcano explodes or a asteroids hits us. THEN WHOS GOIN TO GIVE THE ESTIMATE????? MOO HOO HAR HAR HARRRRR!!!!!!!!!
    It annoys me how a lot of people see it as a joke subject. I thinkit's probably the most challenging and relevant subject I study. You're in my year too then I defo think you should do geog!

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me how a lot of people see it as a joke subject. I thinkit's probably the most challenging and relevant subject I study. You're in my year too then I defo think you should do geog!
    well im not sure anymore. its just that we can only write a UCAS ps for one subject, and i'm more inclined to do economics. the whole hunger for a geog degree has been a recent development. i'll see how it goes.
    anyhoo u shud keep on with geog. it is a demanding subject, as the AS course was tuff for me. and as i said the employment aspects are fabulous!!! even if i do economics or geog i'll prob end up with the job i want.
    BUT GEOGRAPHY IS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    well im not sure anymore. its just that we can only write a UCAS ps for one subject, and i'm more inclined to do economics. the whole hunger for a geog degree has been a recent development. i'll see how it goes.
    anyhoo u shud keep on with geog. it is a demanding subject, as the AS course was tuff for me. and as i said the employment aspects are fabulous!!! even if i do economics or geog i'll prob end up with the job i want.
    I used to want to do economics too, but at degree level it becomes very mathematical, which is what put me off. Good luck with your decision though

ReputationRep:
    Wooooooo! Go you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    Wooooooo! Go you!

ReputationRep:
    I used to want to do economics too, but at degree level it becomes very mathematical, which is what put me off. Good luck with your decision though
    well i suppose the simple option is to do a joint in geog AND economics. then its the best of both worlds innit?!?!

ReputationRep:
    well i suppose the simple option is to do a joint in geog AND economics. then its the best of both worlds innit?!?!
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    indeed, us geog ppl must stick together. for when the asteroid strikes we will be the only ones left to bare the burden of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    indeed, us geog must stick together. for when the asteroid strikes we will be the only ones left to bare the burden of humanity.
    Hehe, couldn't agree more

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.