Rugrat95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I know that vet school has a high work load and weekdays are typically 9-5, but I just wondered how realistic it is to fit in any kind of part-time work? Also, how much holiday time do you actually get inbetween EMS placements, revision etc?

Any insight from existing or previous students would be appreciated
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had one job during the first year of vet school, this year I had two and next year I'll have three :lol: Yes, it's entirely possible to fit in part time work.

Most people, myself included, are on zero-hours contracts rather than, say, doing one day per week or whatever. I liked this because it offered me flexibility, which was important especially around exam time. I sat and worked it out and over second year of vet school I did the equivalent of working one day per week, but it felt like much less because I had so much control over when I worked. I rarely missed classes because of work, and if I did it was because I'd chosen to skip that class rather than because I was forced to.

There are loads of student-friendly work options. The university itself may be able to hire you as a student ambassador to work careers fairs etc, or you could work in the SU shops or bars. Pet sitting is a job that is really convenient and quite well paid (plus... well it's a great job for a vet student ). Retail is obviously another popular option. I know someone who works part time in a vet clinic as well. Other than that you could tutor GCSE/A level students, or look into agencies, that offer waiting/hospitality gigs. One of my friends also works as an extra. There are loads of options out there

As for holiday time in summer etc, admittedly that's a bit of a sore point for vet students. The first couple of years aren't too bad (I did most of my husbandry EMS in first year so that this summer is almost entirely free for me to work), but from third year onwards your holidays are very limited. Length of summer varies but is from July - October in your first couple of years (shift that forward a month or so for Scottish unis), and you'll get at least three weeks off at Christmas and Easter. This is where things like pet sitting come into their own, as you'll be free during the times that most people go on holiday/away to visit people.
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did casual work too throughout vet school, although unlike Tail Chaser I did most of my work during vacation period. A placement offered me work and I used to fit this between EMS placements (I worked at my local cattery). You roughly need to do 8 weeks of EMS per year although some years you will do less and others more. Off the top of my head I think we got 3 weeks of at Christmas/Easter and during the summer time I think we had at least 2 months off, perhaps more but some of that xmas/easter time was spent revising for exam. So there is time to do work then if you can find the right place. During final years I got paid some money from two companies to be a rep and organise some talks from them - a nice sum of money for very little effort!

I think it is about balancing you time and planning everything ahead, as well as being organised. You don't want to be the student who failed exams because you worked too much over the revision period!
izipony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've had a summer job in first and second year. I work with kids during the school summer holidays so just schedule my EMS for June and September around this so I can still earn. I've also done EMS in Easter holidays both years but do this with caution as exams come round faster than you think! Same applies at Christmas. You can get some placements that pay especially if you already have experience e.g. Lambing.

I think the ideal job to have is a pub with flexible hours as this means you can even do it in the evenings of some placements. Also means you can't go out and drink and spend more money this way😂

Though, I've only done my preclinical years though and I think it's pretty different with clinical EMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can I ask where are good places to look at applying for jobs, especially in Bristol? I've looked at Subway and it looks like they're quite flexible with hours.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did a job in my first two summers, as the course progresses, chances for part time jobs reduce greatly
bristolvet94
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by horsewithnoname)
Can I ask where are good places to look at applying for jobs, especially in Bristol? I've looked at Subway and it looks like they're quite flexible with hours.
Bristol student here - for the last year and a bit I worked in the McDonalds in Cabot Circus. They were always very flexible with my hours - they didn't have any issue with me having lots of weekends off (every other weekend at one point) to do society trips and then over summer they didn't even blink at letting me have most of the summer off to do EMS. Only thing that was a bit annoying logistically was that Cabot is a half hour walk from where I was living (Clifton Village) but depending on where you live that may not be an issue
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bristolvet94)
Bristol student here - for the last year and a bit I worked in the McDonalds in Cabot Circus. They were always very flexible with my hours - they didn't have any issue with me having lots of weekends off (every other weekend at one point) to do society trips and then over summer they didn't even blink at letting me have most of the summer off to do EMS. Only thing that was a bit annoying logistically was that Cabot is a half hour walk from where I was living (Clifton Village) but depending on where you live that may not be an issue
Thanks! I've just been looking at various places in Bristol for finding a part time job. Did you mainly work on weekends, or did you have time to work during the week?
bristolvet94
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by horsewithnoname)
Thanks! I've just been looking at various places in Bristol for finding a part time job. Did you mainly work on weekends, or did you have time to work during the week?
I'd do two shifts a week. One was a close (6pm-1ish am) and then a shift on either saturday or sunday at pretty much any time. The 6pm starts could be a bit tricky sometimes because inevitably, the day I had a shift would be the day we'd finish at 6pm randomly (pretty rare), or they'd have given us a random extra day in Langford. That didn't happen too often, I just had to keep an eye on what my timetable was doing a couple of weeks ahead. But mostly they were fine - if I was finishing lectures at 5pm in Bristol, then work was only a 15 minute walk from the lecture buildings which gave me plenty of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads