Taking 4 A2s as apposed to 3 Watch

This discussion is closed.
mistiquehk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
How much harder do you think it would be to take 4 subjects as apposed to 3? I thought i was going to drop my English Lit. but I fear that in future I may not be able to cope with the chemistry (which i need for my current university course choice) and end up having to drop it. The other subjects i can't drop either because one i really enjoy and the other is also needed for my future.

What are your experiences in taking 4 A2's?
Did you have any time for yourself?
Was it difficult to maintain your grades from AS to A2?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought it was going just fine but then I got AABB so I can hardly recommend it.
Aimée123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I thought it was going just fine but then I got AABB so I can hardly recommend it.
What did you have at AS?
Resonance
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I took 4 A2s and although throughout the year it seemed to be very hard work, I actually got better marks for my A2 exams. If you plan your revision and you start said revision very early on, then four subjects can be OK.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aimée123)
What did you have at AS?
AAAAAB
Aimée123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AAAAAB
Wow! Clever fishpaste!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow! Clever fishpaste!
For a year, sure
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey...

My advice to you would be that if you want to apply to a 10 ten University, I suggest you do take 4 A2's. I was originally going to take 3 A2's but due to recommendations and the amount of competition I am now going to take 5.

But people we disagree with me.

Hope that helps.

Jason
Aimée123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For a year, sure
And your A2 results were good too! And you're off to Cam! Double Wow!
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
try taking 4 until u apply to ucas. its up to you how u cope- i didnt find a huge deal of difference between amounts of work for AS and A2 (except german) if u put the work in, and manage your time u can do just fine. depends entirely on your work speed/motivation/how good you are at absorbing things in class and remembering them 6 months later
Airport Fairy
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
I took 4 A2s. It was a very stressful year, but in the end I managed AAAB, plus AEA English. (I got AAAB at AS.) Just go for it. You can always drop one if it gets too much, but you can't pick one up again if you regret it.
Aimée123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
try taking 4 until u apply to ucas. its up to you how u cope- i didnt find a huge deal of difference between amounts of work for AS and A2 (except german) if u put the work in, and manage your time u can do just fine. depends entirely on your work speed/motivation/how good you are at absorbing things in class and remembering them 6 months later
Hey I'm trying to decide whether to do German at A2. I got a B at AS (223/300) and I'm with AQA. Is there a lot of step up again?
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also... I forgot to mention.

If you mess up one exam at A2, you still have another one to full back on to make your condition offer.

Jason
priya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey I'm trying to decide whether to do German at A2. I got a B at AS (223/300) and I'm with AQA. Is there a lot of step up again?
depends how much grammar you were taught at AS. the main things are reinforcing case endings learning the subjunctive, and redoing the passive tense. apart from that all i can say is LEARN the rules till you're dreaming them, and learn as much vocab as possible. that's all to it really- some of the topics are kinda dry, but brilliant for pulling vocab out of. and we only spent a few lessons on them anyway- u don't HAVE to learn a topic inside out, as long as you learn vocabulary and grammar
priya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
Also... I forgot to mention.

If you mess up one exam at A2, you still have another one to full back on to make your condition offer.

Jason
unless the uni are cruel and give u a 4 alevel offer :rolleyes: (only oxbridge and other elite unis would do this though)
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
unless the uni are cruel and give u a 4 alevel offer :rolleyes: (only oxbridge and other elite unis would do this though)
What?

He he... Are they even aloud to do this?

I thought that no uni could ask for 4 A2's, but maybe A2 and AS....

Blatantly that is going to happen to be, bloody communists!

Thanks

Jason
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not saying anything new, but I like the sound of my own voice...

If you end up with anything less than AAA? when taking 4 A2s, then you've wasted your time.

If we discount the people who are workaholics and/or orgasmic about all four subjects (who are quite probably in the minority) - then it becomes a tough choice to make.

No matter what anybody says regarding "AAA being the most that an institution will ask for, any more is overkill" - I think that [in a saturated marketplace, getting more competitive year-on-year] an AAAA prediction is better than an AAA prediction. Ignore all the **** about "it makes you look like a workaholic [and will therefore count against you or be inert]" - it looks bloody good!

Whether you carry on with four subjects after you get your offers, is entirely another issue...
mistiquehk
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Well i am no genius. I got ABBB for AS. One of my B's I think i could easily push up (as i just screwed up my january module and am retaking that) but i'd be looking to maintain the B in my chemistry and English. I Don't particulary need the english but I like the idea of having something to fall back on (plus i enjoy it)
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mistiquehk)
Well i am no genius. I got ABBB for AS. One of my B's I think i could easily push up (as i just screwed up my january module and am retaking that) but i'd be looking to maintain the B in my chemistry and English. I Don't particulary need the english but I like the idea of having something to fall back on (plus i enjoy it)
I only know the basics of your situation - but I would probably do three.

The goal has to be AAA and anything else is around the edges really.

What is your prediction likely to be? And what kind of grades are your chosen courses asking for?
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
I only know the basics of your situation - but I would probably do three.

The goal has to be AAA and anything else is around the edges really.

What is your prediction likely to be? And what kind of grades are your chosen courses asking for?
I agree with Rob. I think that if you have less than AAAB or maybe AABB at AS-level and you want to carry on to 4 A2s to a reasonable standard (by which I define as AAB/AAA), you're more or less asking for trouble.

Plus, three A-levels is definitely nothing to be ashamed of, I don't know why you would be. I was all set on doing 3 A2s until I came up with some silly idea of teaching myself A-level Maths.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
30%
No (42)
70%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed