The Student Room Group

Realistically, can I get into these universities for Economics?

I'm in year 12 and I've got predicted grades of A*AA (maths, economics and Spanish respectively).
I got A*AAAAABBBBC at GCSE.

I'm thinking of applying to the likes of LSE, UCL and Warwick for economics. However, I'm quite worried about my GCSE grades, as other people that I see on TSR that go to these universities for Economics have all A*s but I only have one.

Can I realistically get into these universities? And if so, what must I do to impress them?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by winwin2000
Can I realistically get into these universities? And if so, what must I do to impress them?Thanks

Yes, you can. Your GCSE grades are not bad by any means, in fact, they're very good - it is a myth that you need a string of A*s at GCSEs to get into top universities for economics. As long as you're predicted to meet the entry requirements and you have a very good personal statement, you have as much chance as anyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by winwin2000
I'm in year 12 and I've got predicted grades of A*AA (maths, economics and Spanish respectively).

I'm thinking of applying to the likes of LSE, UCL and Warwick for economics. However, I'm quite worried about my GCSE grades, as other people that I see on TSR that go to these universities for Economics have all A*s but I only have one.

Can I realistically get into these universities? And if so, what must I do to impress them?

Thanks

Original post by Snufkin
Yes, you can. Your GCSE grades are not bad by any means, in fact, they're very good - it is a myth that you need a string of A*s at GCSEs to get into top universities for economics. As long as you're predicted to meet the entry requirements and you have a very good personal statement, you have as much chance as anyone else.

As per Snufkin :smile:

And have a look at https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury

Original post by Snufkin

I got rejected by 2/3 of these universities with their reasons being that my GCSEs weren't as competitive as other applicants.
I think you do need a string of A*s to get into these unis...
Original post by adam_winterb
I got rejected by 2/3 of these universities with their reasons being that my GCSEs weren't as competitive as other applicants.
I think you do need a string of A*s to get into these unis...

You don't.

Thanks

You aught to do further maths too, as economics at these unis is very mathematical
Reply 6
Original post by JMtheking
You aught to do further maths too, as economics at these unis is very mathematical

I've already applied and got decisions from them
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
You don't.

Well I got rejected from 2 of them because of that
Well I got rejected from 2 of them because of that

They said "we rejected you because of your GCSEs"?
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
They said "we rejected you because of your GCSEs"?

Yeah, they specifically said so
'The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as a consequence of the highly competitive GCSE (or equivalent) performance of other applicants this year.'
'Your GCSE grades were not as strong as other applications that we have received for the Economics course. For this reason, we can confirm that we are not able to offer you a place on this programme.'
Reply 10
'The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as a consequence of the highly competitive GCSE (or equivalent) performance of other applicants this year.'
'Your GCSE grades were not as strong as other applications that we have received for the Economics course. For this reason, we can confirm that we are not able to offer you a place on this programme.'

Which universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is unfortunate, perhaps there was a particularly high standard of applicants this year (admission tutors will sometimes use GCSEs to distinguish between applicants if they are the same in all other respects). But that's not to say one can't get into these unis with 'bad' GCSEs because you can.
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
Which universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE and Warwick
You said you're in Year 12 and thinking of applying, and then say you already got rejected? EDIT: NVM, just saw the dates haha.

Anyway realistically it would be unlikely. For LSE most people either do further maths as a fourth subject and are predicted well above A*AA, and for UCL/Warwick they still tend to have predictions of above the requirements as these are competitive courses and they have a ton of applicants below A*A*A* predictions they can reject. Then again I go to a grammar school and the people I know who applied to economics in the last three years also went to a grammar school, and unis weight you/ adjust their expectations based on your school too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
LSE and Warwick

LSE doesn't surprise me. Warwick... I guess they have relatively low offer rate for that course (52%) so yep.
Original post by Snufkin
You don't.

Actually for LSE they do take gcse grades into consideration when assessing applications:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements
"If you have taken GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, these will be taken into account when we assess your application. All applicants are expected to have at least grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent, although exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances. As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), particularly within the context of their school. Some programmes require grades higher than B in GCSE Mathematics and these are outlined in the individual programme pages."

Considering that OP's predicted grades are the bare minimum which all realistic applicants will have, and his GCSE grades are below the average for successful applicants, he has got to stand out in some way. Perhaps if his personal statement is outstanding, he will be able to get an offer.
(edited 5 years ago)

Thanks

I think the most important thing for you would be to write a top personal statement. Make sure to do a lot of reading over the summer, particularly in economics. Remember to read books that are unique and interesting and not Undercover Economist/Freakonomics. Also, if you can do any projects/essays like the RES Essay competition or anything at school then that would also be a good thing to put on your personal statement. Also, if you can do something like the UKMT maths challenge, or something else that is quantitative, that could be something to write about since the econ courses at these universities are quite quantitative.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17

what did you get for gcse and what unis? I’m really worried cos i only got 2A*, 5A 2B and C

Even with good predictions, PS, interview 4 A* pred (inc EPQ) I would get rejected???? Thanks
Original post by timif2
what did you get for gcse and what unis? I’m really worried cos i only got 2A*, 5A 2B and C

Even with good predictions, PS, interview 4 A* pred (inc EPQ) I would get rejected???? Thanks

I know somebody who got into oxford this year with literally exactly the same grades as you, as long as the rest of your application is competitive i think you will do great!
Reply 19
Original post by ProbablyJade
I know somebody who got into oxford this year with literally exactly the same grades as you, as long as the rest of your application is competitive i think you will do great!

Really? Thanks Thats so good did they have some extenuating circumstances and what extra stuff did they do? Thanks a bunch

Quick Reply

Latest