Turn on thread page Beta

How healthy is dark chocolate? Not sure whether to eat it. watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad bought me some 99% dark chocolate today, telling me it's good for you as it has 'health benefits'. I don't eat chocolate, the last time I ate any was about 8 years ago at Christmas, because my gran insisted I had some (I didn't like it).

I've read a few online articles about its benefits, but I don't know whether to eat it or give it back to my dad. Eating chocolate every day doesn't seem healthy, like the articles suggest. I know it's only 2-3 squares a day, but that still seems a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Go back to swallowing tablets OP, food is too unhealthy for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    My dad bought me some 99% dark chocolate today, telling me it's good for you as it has 'health benefits'. I don't eat chocolate, the last time I ate any was about 8 years ago at Christmas, because my gran insisted I had some (I didn't like it).

I've read a few online articles about its benefits, but I don't know whether to eat it or give it back to my dad. Eating chocolate every day doesn't seem healthy, like the articles suggest. I know it's only 2-3 squares a day, but that still seems a lot.
    Everything in moderation, but if you don't like it, don't eat it. It's that simple.

I'm pretty sure that chocolate with a higher % of cocoa solids is meant to be healthier, though.

ReputationRep:
    Cocoa beans are from a plant, so there's nothing unhealthy there. The unhealthy part of chocolate is the large percentage of milk/cream/sugar which westerners add to make what we call a chocolate bar. The 99% stuff will probably be a great source of iron and all sorts of other vitamins so I don't see a reason not to eat it. However if you don't like it, then you will be able to get vitamins and minerals from other sources and there's no point in eating something you don't enjoy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Cocoa beans are from a plant, so there's nothing unhealthy there. The unhealthy part of chocolate is the large percentage of milk/cream/sugar which westerners add to make what we call a chocolate bar. The 99% stuff will probably be a great source of iron and all sorts of other vitamins so I don't see a reason not to eat it. However if you don't like it, then you will be able to get vitamins and minerals from other sources and there's no point in eating something you don't enjoy.
    That's the science behind what I was trying to say

who doesn't eat chocolate? weirdo...

ReputationRep:
    Dark chocolate is disgusting anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    who doesn't eat chocolate? weirdo...
    You had to go anonymous to call me a weirdo? I don't like chocolate, I don't like the taste or the fact it's bad for you. I see people eating Mars bars and Maltesers every day, it makes me feel sick. Appearently dark chocolate has health benefits in moderation, I have some in the fridge, though the most appealing thing about it at the moment is its nice looking gold wrapper.

ReputationRep:
    The supposed effects are that it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, but I wouldn't consume it daily for this reason. The sources for this are over extrapolated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    Dark chocolate is disgusting anyway
    like u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanel_666)
    like u
    Who repped you

ReputationRep:
    Who repped you
    I did.

ReputationRep:
    I did.
    I appreciate your honesty

ReputationRep:

The darker the chocolate, the more calories it has. This whole "Dark chocolate is healthier for you" only works because it doesn't taste as nice so you end up eating less - i.e. it's not something to push yourself to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Who repped you
    i got 2 reps not 1

ReputationRep:
    i got 2 reps not 1
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    Ok
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, dark chocolate is decent. But it really depends on the actual chocolate though.

ReputationRep:
    Mate he offered you chocolate, not drugs.
    Man up and eat it. You ain't gonna be hospitalised by having a bar of chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    like u
    Your own boyfriend dumped you two weeks before prom and you came to cry on TSR. You're disgusting, even worse than chocolate, and trust me, I hate the disgusting chav-snack junk that is chocolate. You're a hypocrite, stop trying so hard to be funny, you can never overcome your utter mediocrity, trash.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.