The Student Room Group

How to get back to just 4 hours at Greggs?

I started working at Greggs 2 years ago, signed up for a '4 hour contract, (4 hours Saturday or 4 hours Sunday)' bearing in mind the rota goes sun-sat, so sometimes I would be in both days one weekend (8hrs), but off both on others. All was fine for the first year, only doing overtime when I was asked (Easter, Christmas etc) whilst I was off college. Over the summer I was doing 30+ hours whilst other people were taking holidays and whatnot and I didn't mind.

So September comes and I started university, and the other '4 hour' girl becomes full time after dropping out of uni. I looked at the rota week after week, seeing 10 hour Saturday and 6.5 hours on a Sunday (more than the part timers), as I had every weekday at uni, and I was assured it was only for a while. After 6 weeks of it I was curious to see where it was going, and uni was getting harder, so I asked my managers to reduce my hours back to about 6-8 only on one day? In the office straight to my face they horribly said "no" as I am "a contracted 'weekend' worker" which I just took, but I knew I signed up for 4 hours. Basically worked like a mug all through the academic year not having a single day off, now I've literally hit my limit, and don't need the money any more. It's now summer I need some time to myself, we are very short staffed and I don't mind the occasional weekday if they ASK (they rota'd me in for oct half term which uni doesn't get off, then were pissed off at me?). I am going to ask again for 4 hours, if the same thing happens I am going to hand in my notice.
I don't really want to leave for good.
How can I get through to them? :angry:
First point of call is to check your contract. Does it say in your contract you are only contracted for fours hours a week on either Saturday or Sunday. If that's the case then any hours over the four is overtime and overtime can not be forced on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending