The Student Room Group

Work experience at a hospital - outfit

I am in desperate need for an answer as to what I should wear for work experience at a Hospital. It says we will be given a tunic top so a shirt isn't the issue. It's what to wear with that shirt that's keeping me up. "wear black trousers (no jeans)", are ;leggings okay? (providing they aren't see through). We will be on our feet all day and so I though about leggings as they are comfortable however my friend says that's a straight no! Help!!
Reply 1
Original post by caitlinmmca
I am in desperate need for an answer as to what I should wear for work experience at a Hospital. It says we will be given a tunic top so a shirt isn't the issue. It's what to wear with that shirt that's keeping me up. "wear black trousers (no jeans)", are ;leggings okay? (providing they aren't see through). We will be on our feet all day and so I though about leggings as they are comfortable however my friend says that's a straight no! Help!!

At my work experience I wore black trousers. You need to be bare below the elbow so no watches or jewellery etc. Go with the trousers. The doctor is taking time out to give you this opportunity. The least you can do is wear smart trousers. Good luck

I have work experience in a hospital this year too but we don't have a uniform so i just wear smart office attire. I personally would just go with the safer option of black work trousers. You can get really comfy ones in New Look which are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

Leggings are not acceptable, you will be in a professional, clinical environment, not a fashion show. My sister is a nurse in A&E, she'd be severely reprimanded for turning up in leggings. You must wear trousers as per the uniform policy you quoted, you may wear slim fit trousers if you want to.
Reply 4
Original post by SGHD26716
At my work experience I wore black trousers. You need to be bare below the elbow so no watches or jewellery etc. Go with the trousers. The doctor is taking time out to give you this opportunity. The least you can do is wear smart trousers. Good luck

Original post by evalilyXOX
I have work experience in a hospital this year too but we don't have a uniform so i just wear smart office attire. I personally would just go with the safer option of black work trousers. You can get really comfy ones in New Look which are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

Original post by Glassapple
Leggings are not acceptable, you will be in a professional, clinical environment, not a fashion show. My sister is a nurse in A&E, she'd be severely reprimanded for turning up in leggings. You must wear trousers as per the uniform policy you quoted, you may wear slim fit trousers if you want to.

Thank you to all of you who replied so quickly! I wasn't sure on them at all, I have both available and was leaning toward the 'smart trousers' but I just wanted to double check! I am aware of how lucky I am to get to do this as only 2 people in my school got the places; I wanted to be certain I came across as someone who was interested in the field and also a smart and dedicated student. Once again - thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest