Anyone listen to Jazz?

Watch
elzrose123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Would be interesting to see if anyone else is a fan of jazz. I feel out of touch in
regards to the current music scene. Not really into pop/chart/rap music.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alannahrose)
Would be interesting to see if anyone else is a fan of jazz. I feel out of touch in
Me - mostly Django Reinhardt, (and his relatives - David and Lulo - I've seen Lulo) Rosenberg Trio, etc. Basically, Gypsy Jazz type stuff.
day 481516
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like a variety of music including jazz.

Not sure if she considered being proper jazz but I love the music of Norah Jones. Also, I like Esperanza Spalding and Diana Krall and some of Jamie Cullum's stuff. Amy Winehouse and Melody Gardot are artists I like but I don't they're proper jazz since they change(d) their styles from album to album.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I listen to every genre of music under the sun apart from Bhangra!
I love my Jazz music and, for people who know me and can confirm (Cliffhanger349 ), my rock and metal!
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like jazz, but I've only just been introduced to it really. I spent a lot of time in love with blues and have recently started listening to a bit of jazz too - Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, (Nina Simone), Wynton Marsalis, Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday, mostly! But if you have any recommendations, I'd love to listen
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really like jazz, but I tend prefer to listen live rather than listening at home. I have to be in a really particular mood to listen to it at home., and the jazz club vibe is just sooo nice. I used to spend an unreasonable amount of time at Ronnie Scott's, even more so when I worked in Soho..! I do loovvee Art Blakey though. Also some of the old strong female voices like Sarah Vaughan <3 <3 <3, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee. I studied jazz singing for a little while too...
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Trad? Swing? Bebop? Hard-bop? Post-bop? Soul-jazz? Doom jazz? Noir jazz? Modal? Third Stream? Bossa nova? Smooth? Acid? Fusion?

Nope; never heard of it, sorry.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Doom jazz?
WHAT is this I MUST LISTEN TO THIS THING IMMEDIATELY
RockSteel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jazz is amazing!!!!! In my ears it will always be the best genre of music ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
WHAT is this I MUST LISTEN TO THIS THING IMMEDIATELY
Tremble:

Cliffhanger349
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
I listen to every genre of music under the sun apart from Bhangra!
I love my Jazz music and, for people who know me and can confirm (Cliffhanger349 ), my rock and metal!
Of course, but you always put your headphones on max volume in class; I'm surprised you haven't gone deaf! xD
To answer the question, I like all sorts of music, including jazz and rock/metal. It really depends how the song is personally for me.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cliffhanger349)
Of course, but you always put your headphones on max volume in class; I'm surprised you haven't gone deaf! xD
To answer the question, I like all sorts of music, including jazz and rock/metal. It really depends how the song is personally for me.
I do not!
I just have powerful earphones!
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Tremble
That Bohren tune is gorgeous, I think I'm in love:love:

If you hadn't referred to it as doom-jazz I would have just labeled it as post-rock/post-doom.

Ed: Listening to more Bohren. it is indeed more jazzy less rock, still incredibly chilled and pretty. You are my new favourite person for introducing me to this :lol:
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
That Bohren tune is gorgeous, I think I'm in love:love:

If you hadn't referred to it as doom-jazz I would have just labeled it as post-rock/post-doom.

Ed: Listening to more Bohren. it is indeed more jazzy less rock, still incredibly chilled and pretty. You are my new favourite person for introducing me to this :lol:
I'd perhaps aver post-metal more than post-rock given the 'sludge' and 'doom' overtones of "66 Breath"—if not so much "Karin"—but there is, to be sure, a fervent cross-pollination between the former and doom-jazz; especially here:

Melding the percussive sensibility of something like hard-bop with the visceral, kinetic intensity of metal. Whereas this next example, by contrast, is quintessential noir-jazz, channelling an altogether less abrasive (yet similarly pervasive) post-rock aesthetic whose lineage encompasses Charles Mingus and Red Snapper in about equal measure—along with a heavy dose of melancholia:

Through the former you've then a potential conduit to the industrial, cinematic and atmospheric end of the IDM spectrum, e.g.:

Whilst the latter segues quite tastefully into early post-rock—although I'll let you chart that particular course for yourself.
username1801065
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
does anyone reccomend it?
rebeccatierney3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jazz is my spirit animal!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads