Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeh, im planning to get a monthly bus/tram pass, theres a bus that goes from a stop a couple o mins walk from ranmoor down to just past the union i av been told altho thats another cost i prolly cant afford .. could take a bike but then u av to pay insurance.. so spose ill end up walkin... ill av to invest in an mp3 player to keep me amused along the way.... its a 30ish min walk... the exercise will to b gd.. so ppl keep telling me but im not convinced

ReputationRep:
    Stephenson >> im running baby! 10 minutes b4 the lecture begins i cud sleep in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFunkMaster)
    some say its like a prison aswell
    and when the wind blows u can hear the voices of the people who were executed there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiseh)
    I'm staying in Victoria House which wasn't my first choice but hopefully it'll be alright.
    Not a bad area in the city section, near to the Tesco's mini store which is very useful.

(Original post by seafood)
    Ranmoor.

Went to sheffield today to have a proper look at all the halls, forgot what a nice area the whole university is in. Must get busy as hell on moving in weekend around the Sorby/Earnshaw/Halifax area though, looks like a jam waiting to happen.
    The Fulwood Road towards the city DOES get particularly busy in a morning, especially when it meets up with the Manchester Road at Broomhill.

(Original post by ickleangel)
    i went today as well! sorby looked grubby on the outside but reception area looks pretty good...and if we're using the earnshaw bar, tht looks AWESOME!! lol.
    ENDCLIFFE Bar, located in Earnshaw Hall, was newly installed last Summer, and is very cheap, and runs a good quiz on a Sunday night.

thts a point...how are ppl gona get to lectures from halls such as earnshaw, sorby, etc.? bus or walk??
    The walk DOWN to Uni isn't too bad. It's the walk back up after a long day that starts to hurt, and it's then that 85p for a single back up from the Union to Broomhill sounds like a good deal.

(Original post by Straits_214)
    yeh, im planning to get a monthly bus/tram pass, theres a bus that goes from a stop a couple o mins walk from ranmoor down to just past the union i av been told altho thats another cost i prolly cant afford .. could take a bike but then u av to pay insurance.. so spose ill end up walkin... ill av to invest in an mp3 player to keep me amused along the way.... its a 30ish min walk... the exercise will to b gd.. so ppl keep telling me but im not convinced
    The bus you are interested in from Ranmoor to Uni is the Number 60 bus.
    The stop is round the back of the Union near Bar One, they run every 10 minutes or so in a morning.
    Management / Economics / Engineers should stay onboard and go one stop further down to West Street/Mappin Street corner.

As for the joint SY train/tram/bus pass; only worth the money until you turn 19, and even then only if you are going to be using Public Transport for more than just the run to and from Uni every day.

Stephenson >> im running baby! 10 minutes b4 the lecture begins i cud sleep in
    Good luck on that one. Takes you 10 minutes to climb to the top of the road that Stepho is on ! Minimum you need to give yourself is 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    well my mums made me buy walkin shoes!!!! umm like hell am i gonna walk its the bus all the way!!! its like a mile to lectures!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xwannabbadx)
    well my mums made me buy walkin shoes!!!! umm like hell am i gonna walk its the bus all the way!!! its like a mile to lectures!!!

Lazy ass !

It's a mile DOWNHILL to lectures, it doesn't take long at all.
    20 minutes, its a nice casual walk and you don't have the troubles of having to rely on the bus making it through the busy roads.

The vast majority of us walk it down, and a few less walk it back up.

ReputationRep:
    some say its like a prison aswell
    According to legend, it's based on a Swedish women's prison.

ReputationRep:
    hello, sorry to kinda hi-jack the thread, but i've got into sheffield as my insurance so don't know where i'm going to live yet. Anyone know the least popular halls/flats, and whats so bad about them. i'd like to have some idea where i'm going to live.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    hello, sorry to kinda hi-jack the thread, but i've got into sheffield as my insurance so don't know where i'm going to live yet. Anyone know the least popular halls/flats, and whats so bad about them. i'd like to have some idea where i'm going to live.
    Cheers

Vast majority of the Halls and Flats are very nice, set in pleasent leafy Sheffield suburbia.

Sorby Hall looks ugly from the outside, but inside is nicely decorated, though is the only hall that doesn't have network access in all bedrooms, instead making use of Sorby computer lab downstairs.

Tapton Hall is set a little further away, and up (another) hill, though is within reach of the student dominated areas of both Broomhill AND Crookes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    As for the joint SY train/tram/bus pass; only worth the money until you turn 19, and even then only if you are going to be using Public Transport for more than just the run to and from Uni every day.
    Well im not 19 til june next year.. im still a youngen and the trams+buses n wot not go everywhere in sheffield just bout dont they? im always gonna b goin back an forth from halls to union to meadow hall to train station etc... will av to investigate sum more

ReputationRep:
    Well im not 19 til june next year.. im still a youngen and the trams+buses n wot not go everywhere in sheffield just bout dont they? im always gonna b goin back an forth from halls to union to meadow hall to train station etc... will av to investigate sum more

Having your Birthday that late in the year may be to your advantage then.

The pass doesn't just allow travel in Sheffield though, but all across a certain area of South Yorkshire.

Sheffield is bigger than you think too - that pass though allows you to explore.

TravelMaster monthly (the ticket in question) costs £33 a month to Under 19's (instead of £63.75), and allows travel on all modes of public transport within the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive region.

So trips to Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc are all possible, as well as the tram and buses within the city of Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    kewl, cheaper than driving and u can hardly walk to those other places.. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    Cheers
    Sorby seems to b the least popular cos it looks a bit poop and its lacking sum of the extras that other halls have (like a bar + the all important network connection in ur room), having said that i know sum1 who stayed there and he got on fine cos u can use the other halls facilities if u want to

Ranmoor is the biggest, so if u apply there, there might stil b sum room and that has all the extra stuff

Thats the feeling i get anyway... altho i av no personal experience....

ReputationRep:
    Sorby seems to b the least popular cos it looks a bit poop and its lacking sum of the extras that other halls have (like a bar + the all important network connection in ur room), having said that i know sum1 who stayed there and he got on fine cos u can use the other halls facilities if u want to

Ranmoor is the biggest, so if u apply there, there might stil b sum room and that has all the extra stuff

Thats the feeling i get anyway... altho i av no personal experience....
    Sorby looks awful from the outside.

I'll reiterate something - the BAR does not belong to Earnshaw - it's located in Earnshaw.

It's there for the use of residents from the entire Endcliffe Student Village.

Sorby, from what I understand, normally has a decent atmosphere anyway - might be something to do with the altitude !!

ReputationRep:
    isnt there a pub nearby the fox and duck or sumt.. thats cheap 4 students as well?

ReputationRep:
    The Fox & Duck is one of the two Union-owned pubs, and its in Broomhill. Decent pub though I prefer the Broomhill Tavern.

ReputationRep:
    is the fox&duck the one kinda opp boots?

ReputationRep:
    is the fox&duck the one kinda opp boots?
    Yup.

And as Chrism says, is own by Sheffield Union.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.