The Student Room Group

boyfriend had broken up with me because i failed my exam

Scroll to see replies

wow sounds horrible, feel sorry for you :frown:

in answer to ur question, no boys/men arent all like this.
You were just unlucky and got an outright d***head. You know just how hard you have worked so dont give a toss as to what he said and move on :smile: gonna hope you do better than him so u can laugh in his face when ur older. >:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
I'm actually so shocked by the amount of support and great advise I'm getting here. I was starting to think there was something wrong with me. thank you guys so much I feel good now xxx

There is nothing wrong with you. I am sure you will be able to do well next time. Don't stress yourself over this.
Of course I wouldn't break up with someone just because they failed an exam. He broke up with you over text, rather than manning up and actually having the courage and decency to tell you in person. It sounds like he wanted to break up with you for some other reason, and he was just using this as some ******** excuse.

Sounds like you've dodged a bullet, to be honest. You don't need people like that in your life, especially as a partner.
Reply 43
so me and my have been together for 3 years. I must say I'm hard working and I have got really good grades at GCSE and a levels. I'm now a first year uni student recently got my results and to my shock I failed. so I'm gonna have to repeat the year. but you know it's not the end of the world

however I was obviously upset and feeling low and i turned to my boyfriend for support. he was trying to cheer me up and tell me it's gonna be okay etc. 2 days later after being very distant he broke up with me over text. he said he can't be with someone who isnt willing to work hard etc. he said he doesn't wanna be with someone who isn't ambitious etc. but this is all false. I really do work hard and this was a shock to me. I wanna be a teacher in the future but i know it's not the end of the road

now I'm feeling so depressed and low. I feel like I'm not worth it and wouldn't be good enough for anyone. are boys really like this? would you break up with your girlfriend if they fail an exam?

I'm so upset guys and feel so low..

You need to build yourself back up after getting knocked. You did really well at school and for whatever reason there are many people now who are in the same situation and will have to resit the first year.

The best thing you can do for yourself is put the boyfriend issue to one side and concentrate on your future and your career/ambitions/goals in life.

By the sounds of it you have the determination and drive to succeed. Don't let this ex ruin your future. (It sounds like he wasn't very kind or nice to you at the end and who wants to be with someone like that, who after 3 years sends you a text to break up?)

I think you've had a lucky escape :wink:, you're not an extension of him you are your own person.

And you sound a great person too.
You've been together for three years. Obviously, he's using your failure as a false excuse to dump you and there's something going deeper underneath that mess.
be happy you have the chance to know him. This is his real face. He does not deserve you. Move on. You are free now and work for you not to satisfy his requirements. Just laugh, not cry!!!!!!
I really do work hard and this was a shock to me.

Look, this one thing doesn't make you worthless, you're right that it's not the end of the world, you're still perfectly able to pursue what you want to do, other posters are probably right that it's just a pretext for him to break up with you, and obviously his behaviour has been *****y in any event.

That said, in his position, quite honestly it would worry and bother me that you don't seem to be willing to confront honestly what went so wrong. If you insist that you really did work hard, you need to figure out the problem so you can avoid it next time around.
Don't be depressed, you don't need such boyfriend, it is better that he dumped you now then tomorrow - sooner = better.
so me and my have been together for 3 years. I must say I'm hard working and I have got really good grades at GCSE and a levels. I'm now a first year uni student recently got my results and to my shock I failed. so I'm gonna have to repeat the year. but you know it's not the end of the world

however I was obviously upset and feeling low and i turned to my boyfriend for support. he was trying to cheer me up and tell me it's gonna be okay etc. 2 days later after being very distant he broke up with me over text. he said he can't be with someone who isnt willing to work hard etc. he said he doesn't wanna be with someone who isn't ambitious etc. but this is all false. I really do work hard and this was a shock to me. I wanna be a teacher in the future but i know it's not the end of the road

now I'm feeling so depressed and low. I feel like I'm not worth it and wouldn't be good enough for anyone. are boys really like this? would you break up with your girlfriend if they fail an exam?

Sounds like you've had an escape there. Putting someone down when they're already bound to feel a bit insecure about things themselves? Not on. Sounds like an excuse if you ask me! Perhaps it'll be the making of you and your next year - focus on your studies and chase your dreams for you! <3
Original post by SGHD26716
I never knew boyfriends had entry requirements

:rofl::toofunny:.LMFAO.ur a funny guy.
The best way to move forward in my opinion is to use this against him. Even if you work hard now as you say, work harder, ace that Uni course so much that you get the best grades that you can possibly get and then he'll come running back begging for you and you can finally say no and let him down like he let you down by breaking up with you because of a grade. This really shows he was never with you because of who you are as a person, he was with you for others reasons (i.e your grades) so one day you'll meet a guy who will appreciate you for who you are personality wise, not on how clever you are :smile: all the best for the future
Either this guy is a complete f'ing weirdo, or he is lying to you. I think it's the latter, I refuse to believe there are guys that misguided.
Status climber. You dodged a bullet.
You can use this to really motivate yourself to work harder, you'll prove him wrong in the long run 😊
Reply 54

you might not like my input but how i see this, he would end up being one of those guys who would sponge money off from you in the future if he's saying that. A boyfriend is supposed to help you, give you study support for when you next take the exam. Please don't feel down, millions of others go through the same situation worldwide. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
So sorry to hear about this, OP. Not only did you get a nasty shock about failing your first year but then what your boyfriend did and how he reacted was just the lowest of the low. Maybe mummy and daddy have drummed some s hit into his head all his life about being "a winner" or something and he looks down his nose at anyone who doesn't meet his lofty expectations. In any event he sounds like a thoroughly nasty b astard. Trust me, you are well rid. Be thankful you found out now what he is really like before your relationship maybe became even more serious. Five years from now when you have your degree and have maybe met someone who is suitable for you, you will be able to look back at this horrible time and realise [ hopefully] it was actually the making of you.
I really hope your ex boyfriend uses this website, reads this and realises it's him we are all talking about. [ I know that's a long shot].
He sounds like the douchebag boyfriend at the beginning of Legally Blonde.
Reply 58
♪whatever kills you makes you stronger! Stand a little taller!♪
If you've tried your best, then it's terrible that this fellow has done what he's done. I realise that this is simply what most people have said, however it is still a valid point: if your significant other gives their all to something, you don't leave them if they fail after that.

I'll be honest, I've semi-done what your boyfriend has done in the past, i.e. 6 months ago. Not in the same context however: my ex freely admitted having given up on studying for school/etc and it wasn't a matter of her working hard to pass rather than finding an excuse to spend her days enjoying herself playing games, plus some other stuff, either way just trust me on that.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending