The Student Room Group

Mac software for mature student

I am about to start an MSc at Portsmouth, and apart from the obvious MS Office, what software can you recommend for items such as researching / referencing as there seams to be so many options. (Im Mac based)

Many thanks
A good citation manager. Your uni may provide a subscription to a commercial one like Endnote. There are also free ones like Mendeley. There is also ReadCube, but I've not used it myself.

Beyond that, any other software is specific to your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
A good citation manager. Your uni may provide a subscription to a commercial one like Endnote. There are also free ones like Mendeley. There is also ReadCube, but I've not used it myself.

Beyond that, any other software is specific to your degree.

I have looked at Endnote, but all the online connections look to be US centric and not UK based.
Reply 3
Original post by WBJ42
I have looked at Endnote, but all the online connections look to be US centric and not UK based.

Many universities recommend/use Endnote (KCL, Imperial, etc).

And your university may offer a discounted (or even free) version.
(edited 6 years ago)
Refworks is a good referencing site

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by WBJ42
I am about to start an MSc at Portsmouth, and apart from the obvious MS Office, what software can you recommend for items such as researching / referencing as there seams to be so many options. (Im Mac based)

Many thanks

Reference manager I use Mendeley. It's got built it reference searching through Google scholar and other providers, backup and easy export to bibtex.

If you're doing a science, I also recommend learning how to use latex, and bibtex, before starting and downloading a latex editor. I personally use TexStudio since it can give live previews. For practise I would suggest converting your undergraduate thesis into latex. That way you can learn how to use all the features you'll need.

Install Dropbox or Google drive, and save all of your documents there. It's saved me a ton, especially when I forgot my laptop, so could still have access to my work on uni machines.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending