The Student Room Group

Essentials for starting sixth form September 2017?

Hey, this is my first ever post on TSR!!! this year in September I'll be starting sixth form at my school after doing the new 9-1 gcse, and was wondering what are the supplies I'll need, in terms of pens, pencils, hand sanitizers, ringbinders, etc? If it helps I'll be taking Product design, Psychology, and Geography A levels and maybe Government and Politics depending on my results in August. So far I've bought some pens and tipex and stuff but is there any specific things I would need?

Other things that would be useful as well:
-organisation
-tips and a level hacks if you have them
-If you've done these subjects is there anything I need to know
-motivation?

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheLyricalZombi
Hey, this is my first ever post on TSR!!! this year in September I'll be starting sixth form at my school after doing the new 9-1 gcse, and was wondering what are the supplies I'll need, in terms of pens, pencils, hand sanitizers, ringbinders, etc? If it helps I'll be taking Product design, Psychology, and Geography A levels and maybe Government and Politics depending on my results in August. So far I've bought some pens and tipex and stuff but is there any specific things I would need?

-organisation
-motivation?

Thanks.

Hello :smile:

Personally, I found that one ringbinder with file dividers separating my notes for each subject was sufficient, rather than taking separate folders for each subject. I kept a lever arch file at home, and transferred my notes to that when the ringbinder got full, then continued to use the ringbinder. I also kept a plastic wallet in the front of the ringbinder, containing fresh lined paper (rather than taking a whole pad), and to store any loose sheets until I could hole punch them.

Stationery for A Levels is very much the same as for GCSE: pens, pencils, rubber/ruler/sharpener, coloured pencils (for diagrams and maps in Geography). A scientific calculator will also be useful. The only subject I also did that you will be doing is Geography, and one thing I would say is that there will be fieldwork involved, and for this things such as a clipboard, waterproofs, a rucksack and so on will be invaluable!

In term of tips, make sure that you stay on top of all your work and ask for help if you're unsure of anything - it's easy to fall behind if you miss a lesson or don't understand a topic. Writing/typing out good notes as you go along is important, so that you're not panicking about writing revision notes close to the exams. Also, regularly review what you've learned so that you don't forget things. Try to appear friendly and approachable, and chat to the people around you in your first lessons (this helps with making friends). Finally, don't go overboard with revision, as you'll get demotivated quickly - make sure you take breaks and relax too.

Best of luck :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hello :smile:

Personally, I found that one ringbinder with file dividers separating my notes for each subject was sufficient, rather than taking separate folders for each subject. I kept a lever arch file at home, and transferred my notes to that when the ringbinder got full, then continued to use the ringbinder. I also kept a plastic wallet in the front of the ringbinder, containing fresh lined paper (rather than taking a whole pad), and to store any loose sheets until I could hole punch them.

Stationery for A Levels is very much the same as for GCSE: pens, pencils, rubber/ruler/sharpener, coloured pencils (for diagrams and maps in Geography). A scientific calculator will also be useful. The only subject I also did that you will be doing is Geography, and one thing I would say is that there will be fieldwork involved, and for this things such as a clipboard, waterproofs, a rucksack and so on will be invaluable!

In term of tips, make sure that you stay on top of all your work and ask for help if you're unsure of anything - it's easy to fall behind if you miss a lesson or don't understand a topic. Writing/typing out good notes as you go along is important, so that you're not panicking about writing revision notes close to the exams. Also, regularly review what you've learned so that you don't forget things. Try to appear friendly and approachable, and chat to the people around you in your first lessons (this helps with making friends). Finally, don't go overboard with revision, as you'll get demotivated quickly - make sure you take breaks and relax too.

Best of luck :h:

Thanks so much! It sounds a lot easier just to carry one ringbinder instead of all of them. Will definitely be bringing a scientific calculator and stuff too. The fieldwork information is also really handy :smile:
Original post by TheLyricalZombi

-organisation
-motivation?

Thanks.

I think the best thing to do is to get a lever arch for every subject, that way every time you finish a topic you can neatly file it away which is perfect for revision. I found this really useful, and then simply took what I needed in a plastic envelope wallet thing. Organisation is key for a levels, im telling you this! Also in terms of being an efficient student, use most of your frees to consolidate what you've learnt. So perhaps but a nice notepad to get you started on note making, as this is key to getting good grades. Highlighters are important too. Very. You will often get asked to read articles and highlight things so make sure you have plenty. If you do government and politics it's really important to be up to date with current affairs as the more contemporary examples the better marks you'll get, so download some news apps onto your phone! (Guardian, BBC etc)
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
I think the best thing to do is to get a lever arch for every subject, that way every time you finish a topic you can neatly file it away which is perfect for revision. I found this really useful, and then simply took what I needed in a plastic envelope wallet thing. Organisation is key for a levels, im telling you this! Also in terms of being an efficient student, use most of your frees to consolidate what you've learnt. So perhaps but a nice notepad to get you started on note making, as this is key to getting good grades. Highlighters are important too. Very. You will often get asked to read articles and highlight things so make sure you have plenty. If you do government and politics it's really important to be up to date with current affairs as the more contemporary examples the better marks you'll get, so download some news apps onto your phone! (Guardian, BBC etc)

Thank you! I was thinking keeping notes in the same ringbinder for each subject, but I'm not sure if that will work out. If I'm taking politics I'll keep that in mind! :biggrin:
I've just put up a blog post on what you'll need for starting Sixth Form, with a few product recommendations as well as just general items to get hold of. It might be useful - http://imnotcatherine.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/a-levels-what-youll-need.html

I'm also looking to do a few posts on things like work layouts, organising yourself, those sort of study advice things if that sounds interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest