Public Sector wrokers pay NO tax

Watch
MeYou2Night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As public sector workers are paid by the government whos only means of rasing money are through taxation, they DO NOT really pay tax right?

Their salary comes from the tax system so them payng 'tax', is just giving some of it back.

Whereas private sector workers who are paid by private enterprises who have to create money or go bust DO pay REAL TAX unlike public sector people

Thoughts?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MeYou2Night)
the government whos only means of rasing money are through taxation
The government makes money through plenty of different means, not just tax. Fines, fees on certain services (e.g. prescriptions, passports), NI (though you can feasibly consider that a tax too), private donations, interest through loans and investment, profits from publcly-owned businesses (not many of those left of course), and so on. Tax might make up the bulk of our public purse, but it's not the sum whole of it.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MeYou2Night)
As public sector workers are paid by the government whos only means of rasing money are through taxation, they DO NOT really pay tax right?
While I see what you're getting at, by every conventional means of what you've said they certainly do pay tax - simply adding in "really" to a blatantly false statement doesn't make it more credible.

Public sector workers do not provide additional private wealth to the state, that much is true. The same could of course be said about the many thousands of private sector workers who work on public sector contracts and so on too.

The issue is of course the wider economy and where the wealth in it comes from. Yes, the private sector more directly provides it - but the public sector is laying a lot of the foundations. A teacher may be a public sector worker, but of course an education system is vital to the national economy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads