The Student Room Group

Eating disorders concerns

I've never been happy with my body image, a few years back I heavily restricted my intake of food and lost a fair amount of weight. I've put it back on now, although my breasts have never really developed, possibly as a result of the undereating. I didn't feel able to talk to anyone about my situation so was never diagnosed with an eating disorder but just recently I've started to slip into the same mindset of increased excersise and restrictive diet. I've also been purging every day for the past month, which i had never done before. It started out that I was on antibiotics that were making me feel slightly nauseous anyway, so I made myself sick to try to feel better. But I've been fairly bloated and feeling sick after eating just recently and if i feel I've eaten too much then I'll make myself sick to try to feel better or 'empty' again. I appreciate it's not been a long time that this has been happening so I'm not really sure whether to talk to the doctor about it or not. I'm hoping I can sort of nip it in the bud and deal with it quickly but unfortunately in a sick sort of way I like having the power/control of purging or restricting my diet. I guess I'm just asking for advise really if I'm just being silly because it's only been a month of purging and I'm sort of aware of the situation and know I need to stop it so I don't know whether to bother a doctor or not...
I would certainly make an appointment with a doctor regardless of whether it's going on for a long time or not. Early intervention is so important with eating disorders. You can always visit the B-eat website for more information and support as well.
Reply 2
Original post by pheehenrietta
I would certainly make an appointment with a doctor regardless of whether it's going on for a long time or not. Early intervention is so important with eating disorders. You can always visit the B-eat website for more information and support as well.

Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I just don't want to seem like a fraud or wasting anyone's time, but I think it's best to try and get it sorted so I'll book an appointment and look at the website you recommended! ☺️
Original post by Phoebesvc
Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I just don't want to seem like a fraud or wasting anyone's time, but I think it's best to try and get it sorted so I'll book an appointment and look at the website you recommended! ☺️

Don't feel like you're wasting anyone's time because I promise you you're not, eating disorders can be so serious I was lucky that when I was diagnosed with an eating disorder it was caught early.

If you need any support I'm only a DM away x
Original post by Phoebesvc
I've never been happy with my body image, a few years back I heavily restricted my intake of food and lost a fair amount of weight. I've put it back on now, although my breasts have never really developed, possibly as a result of the undereating. I didn't feel able to talk to anyone about my situation so was never diagnosed with an eating disorder but just recently I've started to slip into the same mindset of increased excersise and restrictive diet. I've also been purging every day for the past month, which i had never done before. It started out that I was on antibiotics that were making me feel slightly nauseous anyway, so I made myself sick to try to feel better. But I've been fairly bloated and feeling sick after eating just recently and if i feel I've eaten too much then I'll make myself sick to try to feel better or 'empty' again. I appreciate it's not been a long time that this has been happening so I'm not really sure whether to talk to the doctor about it or not. I'm hoping I can sort of nip it in the bud and deal with it quickly but unfortunately in a sick sort of way I like having the power/control of purging or restricting my diet. I guess I'm just asking for advise really if I'm just being silly because it's only been a month of purging and I'm sort of aware of the situation and know I need to stop it so I don't know whether to bother a doctor or not...

Definitely make an appointment to see your GP, as soon as you can. Ask specifically for an extra long appointment, so that you can just let it all out and explain everything in as much detail as possible. In the meantime, reach out to friends and family for support.

My ex had an eating disorder, and for a very long time she didn't seek professional help, for various reasons. So lost so much of her life to that illness, when she could've sought the help she needed as soon as she knew she needed it. Please don't make the same mistake.
Reply 5
Original post by MyMagicEyebrow
Definitely make an appointment to see your GP, as soon as you can. Ask specifically for an extra long appointment, so that you can just let it all out and explain everything in as much detail as possible. In the meantime, reach out to friends and family for support.

My ex had an eating disorder, and for a very long time she didn't seek professional help, for various reasons. So lost so much of her life to that illness, when she could've sought the help she needed as soon as she knew she needed it. Please don't make the same mistake.

Thank you so much for the support and advise. I've booked an appointment so will hopefully be able to talk it through with a doctor. I just don't want to concern friends or family if it's not necessarily a 'problem' yet if that makes any sense at all so maybe I'll see what the doctor says before I say anything to them
Reply 6
Original post by pheehenrietta
Don't feel like you're wasting anyone's time because I promise you you're not, eating disorders can be so serious I was lucky that when I was diagnosed with an eating disorder it was caught early.

If you need any support I'm only a DM away x

Thank you! The appointment is tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to make a step in the right direction. Thank you for the support! Do you mind me asking how long it was before you were diagnosed?
Yes speak with your doctor as you recognise the signs and it's great you are open to support. Eating disorders are a lonely illness and limit your life. Speak to gp who can refer you to the right people to help. CBT and counselling can help you change your mindset. Letting a friend or relative know will be good too.

Quick Reply

Latest