The Student Room Group

What did you do after receiving a 3rd?

I am interested to see what people(that actually received 3rd) did after finishing the course.
I do not want anyone saying that you have to be lazy or dumb to get 3rd so please avoid that.
I want to know if majority went on to take more courses to cover it up, or got an entry level job, or anything of the sort.
Original post by Lisaeesti
I am interested to see what people(that actually received 3rd) did after finishing the course.
I do not want anyone saying that you have to be lazy or dumb to get 3rd so please avoid that.
I want to know if majority went on to take more courses to cover it up, or got an entry level job, or anything of the sort.

i am interested to know too
Reply 2
There must be something people do with their degrees, however bad they are. But thanks for the input.
Reply 3
There must be something people do with their degrees, however bad they are. But thanks for the input.

You apply for a proper job (not a graduate scheme).

If you don't have experience, get a temp job at a newsagents or takeaway or similar.

This may help

https://www.graduate-jobs.com/blog/post/541/So_you_ve_got_your_degree_grade_-_now_what
Reply 4
Original post by study beats
i am interested to know too

Ok so here what I did (in case you or someone you know is panicking about their 3rd).
As expected I did receive 3rd but while awaiting for results (last exam resit date was 6/07/17, though the rest of studies I finished last year) I've been applying to masters. It was what I wanted to do I just didn't think I'd get in.
I did.
In fact, I got 2 offers.
I applied to my own university partly because I hoped they would look favourably on their alumi, and of course for the alumni discount (20%). I also hoped that the 'mitigating circumstances' of my undergrad will be taken into account, considering there was (brief) record of them in my school.
I contacted one of my coordinators from UG and asked him to write me a reference letter (he was very supportive to all his students, I figured he was the right choice), yet again explaining those mitigating circumstances. Then messaged the course co-ordinators of the MSc degrees I was interested in, explaining that I will not meet the entry requiremts (which are minimum 2.1) and why I basically failed to graduate with a good degree.
They were actually supportive and told me that if the application will be rejected I should appeal, then the application will be sent straight to them for reconsideration.
I had to nail my personal statement (I was not only applying for masters but also changing the department) and also contact every single person I could who would deal with my application but it didn't take too long.
It took them a week to reject the application and then request missing information (get in contact with my referee, school etc). I didn't have to appeal, because I've contacted them before sending application and explaining everything, they looked out for my application themselves.Then it was another couple of days to send me an unconditional offer (even before I received exam results, all we knew was that I passed).

The stress only lasted about 2-3 weeks. I since rejected my offer for PGDE which I really didn't want to do but it was my backup choice (depending on uni they don't really care for degree classification you get, I did Spanish and French for undergrad and they only asked me to complete all credits required for honours degree)

I should mention that my school only had record of my mental health condition (countless letters from doctors confirming my treatment), the rest I only ever spoke to staff in private, not sure it was ever written anywhere. I did have to explain why my final exam was taken a year later but I had a very-very good reason for missing it the first time round.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
My friend got a third and she's now a primary school teacher. She did her PGCE back in 2008 though, so it might be harder to get onto one with a third now.

Did a resit of one paper and got a better grade
Carol Vorderman got a 3rd and she is never off the telly :h:
Reply 8
Original post by LauraBMS
My friend got a third and she's now a primary school teacher. She did her PGCE back in 2008 though, so it might be harder to get onto one with a third now.

For primary yes, but secondary schools are so short of staff that they aren't very picky. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jonathanemptage
Did a resit of one paper and got a better grade

I had an exam last month but didn't do as well as I have hoped. I was a few grade points off to be on border with 2.2 but now it doesn't really matter because I've got an unconditional for masters :smile:
my friend managed to do a masters and get into a better paying job to make up for her third.
Look into apprenticeships and entry level jobs
Sacked off IT and started writing novels.
I'm hoping I'll be taken onto Masters anyway seeing as I missed out on a 2:2 by 2% and there are extenuating circumstances regarding my summer exams (that the university I just graduated from have acknowledged) that I'm disputing although that may take awhile to resolve. Really hoping I get onto the MSc, will out my stress levels down to a more normal level....

Quick Reply

Latest