Could you do A level physics without A level maths?

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to do a level physics but I don't like maths enough to pursue it as a full a level. How much harder would it be to do the physics a level without doing the maths a level at the same time?
james813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
I want to do a level physics but I don't like maths enough to pursue it as a full a level. How much harder would it be to do the physics a level without doing the maths a level at the same time?
Not much harder, as long as you are fairly good at maths anyway and learn a few simple concepts like logs.
aadil10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
I would highly highly recommend doing Maths too. About 50% of Physics is calculations. It just makes life a lot easier to be honest. There are people I know who didn't take Maths, but they found Physics a lot trickier. Just personal experience though, only you know your mathematical ability.
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not about learning A-level Maths content but it's about your math ability and how much you're practicing.

Most of the physics paper is maths so without practicing your maths, you will struggle.
OwlOfFire
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would only do physics with maths, there is a huge amount of maths involved in physics. All the people in my physics class did A-level maths except one person, this individual really struggled and her lack of maths knowledge let her down in the exams. My advice is that without maths don't do physics as you will struggle
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's pretty much no point doing physics without maths either as every degree that requires physics also requires maths.
jayokay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did AS Physics without Maths and got a U. But it's up to you. I'd say if you got like an A*/8-9 in GCSE Maths you'd be okay tbh. I'd recommend going over Maths lots over the summer to prepare yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads