Is it worth getting Grade B Apple products from CEX?

Watch
Playmaker786
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to get an A9 processor iOS device + a macbookbook as I am interested in software development (I am self taught but have intermediate knowledge of HTML5, CS3, JS, Java, Ruby, Ruby on Rails and C#). I know how to create Android and UWP apps but want to explore iOS development.

I currently have a laptop is fading away and am in need of a new one tbh.

I was originally thinking of getting a macbook from CEX + an ipod touch however ARKit is for A9 processor devices and above (A9(x), A10(x) and newer devices). I personally dont want to get an iphone till the new one is out but want to be prepared in advance for new AR services iOS11 provides.

So yeah, is it wise to get a grade B laptop and iphone from CEX?
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well if you only need the mac for developing and you're not too worried about its condition then sure. You could also consider a mac mini.
Playmaker786
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
Well if you only need the mac for developing and you're not too worried about its condition then sure. You could also consider a mac mini.
I have considered the mini but the like a waste tbh as u can't take them anywhere. The question for me is air vs pro as I think pro looks better but the grade b i5 options are the only ones available on my budget whereas the air is grade a.

similarly what a9 device should I go for as I really have no intension of getting a new ios device till this years models are out but a9 processor is the minimum requirement for ARKit
DJ98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tpx1)
I have considered the mini but the like a waste tbh as u can't take them anywhere. The question for me is air vs pro as I think pro looks better but the grade b i5 options are the only ones available on my budget whereas the air is grade a.

similarly what a9 device should I go for as I really have no intension of getting a new ios device till this years models are out but a9 processor is the minimum requirement for ARKit
The mini hasn't been updated for a while so it's best to not get one, but if you did, the older top end model is actually faster than the newest one, due to having a quad core i7 over the newer one's dual core. B grade can vary a lot, my friend got a C grade and it was in really good condition apart from scratches on the sides and bottom, whereas my old B grade Pro had a dent on the lid that was pretty visible.
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have bought many devices from CeX ranging from entire systems to CPUs. I can vouch that I have never personally had any tech related issues. I think they run something like AIDA before they sell them to ensure the components are not worn, and the grading system seems to be really good. A B grade would fall under the "product in good condition with all essential accessories" category. That being said, a friend of mine bought a system with a 2600k that had been running at 5Ghz for a couple of months @1.4v, so some things are sold pretty worn in relation to components.
DJ98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Piña colada)
I have bought many devices from CeX ranging from entire systems to CPUs. I can vouch that I have never personally had any tech related issues. I think they run something like AIDA before they sell them to ensure the components are not worn, and the grading system seems to be really good. A B grade would fall under the "product in good condition with all essential accessories" category. That being said, a friend of mine bought a system with a 2600k that had been running at 5Ghz for a couple of months @1.4v, so some things are sold pretty worn in relation to components.
It's worth noting that it depends on the store it was taken into, and who's on testing that day too. I've had a few stuff that's faulty over the years, but you can always just take it back to a store and be fine.
username3130442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't recommend CEX, they can be very overpriced on certain categories, but if you see a good deal, i don't see why not, try other second hand sites and even just new sites, because second hand macbooks can be very very very slow, depending on the use of the system.
username3456172
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
https://uk.webuy.com/grading/

If you look at the URL above you can see the grading and the 24 month warranty terms.

If you personally see the worth in buying a used macbook, just go for it.

1)Run AIDA/PRIME/Memtest/OCCT/ and check everything is functioning fine and within thermal capabilities

2)Wipe the OS and reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

3)If the B quality has any unpleasing aesthetic scratches just get it skinned by D-Brand.

Honestly from personal experience, I have never had any issues buying Windows PCs from CeX, the value of the used market for Windows PCs is insane. In regards to Apple products (I only really know hardware for macs) the price difference from new and used is around £200. Only you can determine if the £200 is enough of an incentive to buy a used Macbook.

All I can say from a hardware perspective is that the CPU cant have been tortured because they are all locked CPUs with no overclocking headroom.
DJ98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Piña colada)
*snip*
The difference is often a lot larger than £200 if you get one slightly older though, and there isn't much of a difference in performance between, say a 2013 model with a Haswell CPU and a 2017 model with a Kaby Lake CPU to justify the large difference in price.

The CPU could still have been 'tortured' depending on the usage. The person could have done a lot of rendering and kept it at near 100% usage a lot of the time, and/or kept it at really high temperatures.
username3456172
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DJ98)
The difference is often a lot larger than £200 if you get one slightly older though, and there isn't much of a difference in performance between, say a 2013 model with a Haswell CPU and a 2017 model with a Kaby Lake CPU to justify the large difference in price.

The CPU could still have been 'tortured' depending on the usage. The person could have done a lot of rendering and kept it at near 100% usage a lot of the time, and/or kept it at really high temperatures.

100% usage without running any synthetics is perfectly fine, I personally would class torturing a CPU as running a higher Vcore and clock speed. Considering that macs only have 4 cores, I would say its inevitable that it will happen for anyone, its not going to have worn any lanes out.

As I have previously said, I dont use apple products. There is no definitive way to check and see how much electron migration has taken place on the chip, but thermals can be easily quashed out by running something heavy (P95 ideally).

I was under the impression that Haswell and Kaby are both within a 5% synthetic margin?

I have a chip for each generation and since Haswell there is no difference in rendering/streaming for me.

Tl;dr: Once again, if the price incentive is drawing you in, just run some synthetics and memory testing programs to check thermals.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah cex test there stuff out plus u get a years warrenty free I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3456172
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
Yeah cex test there stuff out plus u get a years warrenty free I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
They recently upped it to 24 months apparently
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads