The Student Room Group

What do normal/cool guys say when they walk up to a random girl in a bar?

Srs what do they say? Do they say she's cute? Do they crack a joke (not possible for me)?

I have never had any role model so I just have to guess lmao.

I kinda suspect anyone who posts on a forum is not completely normal (ofc I am also posting on a forum as we speak)... ... But still.
Reply 1
Do you have any raisins? How about a date then?
Reply 2
confidence! is! key!
don't expect to pull a cracking joke or a hit up line, it doesn't really work. a bit cringey to be honest.

"hey X, how're you doing?" if you know them
"hey, are you here with someone?" (easy to see if they are interested or not / or taken)

i wouldn't say she's cute, as that seems a bit forward for the first time meeting someone and might be a bit awks. complimenting dress, hair and make up is always good. to be honest, i think it's better to compliment something she has put effort into, such as hair and make up, as it will be nicer for her to hear.

it's really hard to say because everything is circumstantial - depends on the situation what is best to say! talking to someone at a nightclub would be different to at an intellectual event :tongue:

seriously, be confident and you'll be fine. and don't worry about rejection - it happens, and better than not trying. the worst thing you can do is to rehearse what you'll say and sound robotic !
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kilner
confidence! is! key!
don't expect to pull a cracking joke or a hit up line, it doesn't really work. a bit cringey to be honest.

"hey X, how're you doing?" if you know them
"hey, are you here with someone?" (easy to see if they are interested or not / or taken)

i wouldn't say she's cute, as that seems a bit forward for the first time meeting someone and might be a bit awks. complimenting dress, hair and make up is always good. to be honest, i think it's better to compliment something she has put effort into, such as hair and make up, as it will be nicer for her to hear.

it's really hard to say because everything is circumstantial - depends on the situation what is best to say! talking to someone at a nightclub would be different to at an intellectual event :tongue:

seriously, be confident and you'll be fine. and don't worry about rejection - it happens, and better than not trying. the worst thing you can do is to rehearse what you'll say and sound robotic !

I just want to know what normal men actually do. Literally none of my friends are normal. More like computer nerds or ex computer nerds. I have no idea what goes on.

Do they say different things if they want a one night stand instead of a girlfriend? I literally don't know what normal men walk up and say. Stephen Bear waves them over and stuff and is very forward and it's fine for him. But he is an example of only one normal man. On Geordie Shore they always skip the bit where they say hi or whatever. I like those sorts of girls btw like the same type those men are into.
Reply 4
Original post by MrSneaky
I just want to know what normal men actually do. Literally none of my friends are normal. More like computer nerds or ex computer nerds. I have no idea what goes on.

Do they say different things if they want a one night stand instead of a girlfriend? I literally don't know what normal men walk up and say. Stephen Bear waves them over and stuff and is very forward and it's fine for him. But he is an example of only one normal man. On Geordie Shore they always skip the bit where they say hi or whatever. I like those sorts of girls btw like the same type those men are into.

i'm from newcastle and can promise you that the geordie shore approach isn't right for anyone else, if you went up to most girls (and you weren't from g shore obvs) then you'd probably get a slap for being that forward.

to be honest, i would recommend not really going with the intention of a one night stand? if it shows through then to be honest you just end up locking like a di*k. i suppose that if you want something more causal, then be more complementary and flattering. if you want something serious, still be complementary but aim to find out more about her rather than simply flatter her - connect on a more personal level.

the computer nerd thing, you gotta play it to your advantage. girls can dig the nerd select but you gotta do it in a sociable way if that makes sense. i.e rather than being isolated with nerdy things, express that you enjoy that as well as other things. assuming it's a relaxed environment and not a club, then a girl would probably enjoy the intellectual discussion rather than braindead guys looking for sex.

final things: 1) groom up well, hair neat and washed, nice shirt but be comfortable, make sure you wash and moisturize face etc.
2) make sure it's a good environment. keep in mind different girls go to different places. if you're looking for a smart funny girl, probably won't be in a night club. also, make sure that you're comfortable in that environment. if you don't like clubs, don't bother trying to find people there.
3) ask about her, don't get too caught up in compliments and yourself.

good luck!
Original post by kilner
groom up well, hair neat and washed, nice shirt but be comfortable, make sure you wash and moisturize face etc.

I agree with all your points, but it's likely the nerds the OP is talking about being friends with are the sort who wear Star Wars T-shirts and don't care what their hair and faces look like. We all know the type, some of them look like they don't know how to use shampoo.
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
I agree with all your points, but it's likely the nerds the OP is talking about being friends with are the sort who wear Star Wars T-shirts and don't care what their hair and faces look like. We all know the type, some of them look like they don't know how to use shampoo.
i do know the type! that's why i wanted to make the point that it's important to wash up and dress nice :P i totally agree, girls and guys alike will view it positively if you just put in effort into how you look.

was speaking with some (female) friends and literally everyone agrees that being naturally hot is great, but it's so much more important to just have a good haircut, wash your face, wear a nice shirt and condition ya hair!!
Reply 7
Original post by kilner
i'm from newcastle and can promise you that the geordie shore approach isn't right for anyone else, if you went up to most girls (and you weren't from g shore obvs) then you'd probably get a slap for being that forward.

to be honest, i would recommend not really going with the intention of a one night stand? if it shows through then to be honest you just end up locking like a di*k. i suppose that if you want something more causal, then be more complementary and flattering. if you want something serious, still be complementary but aim to find out more about her rather than simply flatter her - connect on a more personal level.

the computer nerd thing, you gotta play it to your advantage. girls can dig the nerd select but you gotta do it in a sociable way if that makes sense. i.e rather than being isolated with nerdy things, express that you enjoy that as well as other things. assuming it's a relaxed environment and not a club, then a girl would probably enjoy the intellectual discussion rather than braindead guys looking for sex.

final things: 1) groom up well, hair neat and washed, nice shirt but be comfortable, make sure you wash and moisturize face etc.
2) make sure it's a good environment. keep in mind different girls go to different places. if you're looking for a smart funny girl, probably won't be in a night club. also, make sure that you're comfortable in that environment. if you don't like clubs, don't bother trying to find people there.
3) ask about her, don't get too caught up in compliments and yourself.

good luck!

Okay it's no problem for me to talk I just don't know the first thing to say. I don't know what normal men say when they first walk over. This forces me to awkwardly just go and say "hi" and stand there deadpan waiting for them to respond, because I literally have NO IDEA what a normal man does. They will usually say "hi" back and maybe ask my name or whatever but it's blatantly awkward and obvious they are not used to this (obvious by the way there's always a pause before they start talking back like I've done something totally out of the ordinary and they need time to process it) - obviously normal men do something different, but because I don't know what normal men do I'm stuck with this. I'm tired of it.

It's too loud to overhear what normal men are saying and sometimes they even speak into her ear.

Does anyone here know cool, normal men who talk to strangers in bars and if so what the **** do they say when they first walk over to start the conversation? As soon as that's done I'm fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MrSneaky
Okay it's no problem for me to talk I just don't know the first thing to say. I don't know what normal men say when they first walk over. This forces me to awkwardly just go and say "hi" and stand there deadpan waiting for them to respond, because I literally have NO IDEA what a normal man does. They will usually say "hi" back and maybe ask my name or whatever but it's blatantly awkward and obvious they are not used to this (obvious by the way there's always a pause before they start talking back like I've done something totally out of the ordinary and they need time to process it) - obviously normal men do something different, but because I don't know what normal men do I'm stuck with this. I'm tired of it.

It's too loud to overhear what normal men are saying and sometimes they even speak into her ear.

Does anyone here know cool, normal men who talk to strangers in bars and if so what the **** do they say when they first walk over to start the conversation? As soon as that's done I'm fine.

Maybe this is the problem. You're approaching this like it's a problem with your printer or your phone or you don't know how to do something on Excel - so you go on the internet and look for answers / ask for answers.

This isn't a criticism, but maybe you should try an immersive trial and error. Go and start talking to women down the bar (and I would so strongly recommend the union bar not random bars or you'll get chucked out). You will 100% get blown away a hundred times, and you'll need a massively thick skin - but surely that's the nature of experience, right?
'Sorry for being forward but you're very pretty. Would you like to grab a drink and chat?'

If she is interested she will say 'yes', if not, she will say 'no'.

Extravagant chat up lines can come across as being desperate or cringe. Directness shows confidence.
"Sexy recognises sexy, gurl"
Reply 11
"Sorry, I lost my number. Can I have yours?"
"hello my fellow earthling do u want to procreate together" works every time
"How YOU doin'?"
Reply 14
Original post by Trinculo
Maybe this is the problem. You're approaching this like it's a problem with your printer or your phone or you don't know how to do something on Excel - so you go on the internet and look for answers / ask for answers.

This isn't a criticism, but maybe you should try an immersive trial and error. Go and start talking to women down the bar (and I would so strongly recommend the union bar not random bars or you'll get chucked out). You will 100% get blown away a hundred times, and you'll need a massively thick skin - but surely that's the nature of experience, right?

I have the thinnest skin of all time.
I don't get blown away very often though. Only when someone weird on another forum told me the "normal" way to start conversation is to offer high fives, so I tried doing that a lot and was humiliated many times. Until I realized that actually he's a sperg and that it's very sperg behavior and almost no other man does that. Then he revealed that he got it from some weird book that appears to be for autists by autists. But now I just walk over and say "hi" then deadpan her -> she pauses as she takes in the social faux pas I have obviously committed -> finally she comes to terms with the AUTIST conversation starter and starts talking back to me -> no problems anymore.

There has to be someone normal on this forum who does this and can reveal to me just what guys are saying to start conversation. Especially like when they walk up and say something in her ear and she giggles. Normal men probably know kind of what is happening there, but I literally don't know whether he's whispering funny things in her ear, saying something sexual, complimenting her looks. If I knew even ONE normal man in real life they would be able to let me know... But unfortunately I do not.

You know we are social learners. I have nobody normal around me to learn from though... It's really like the equivalent of going to a formal dinner party and not knowing the correct etiquette, and the only people you have contact with are cavemen so you don't know what you're expected to do. I just don't know what's normal and nobody can tell me.
Hi can I buy you a drink

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
'Excuse me...

...do you know where the toilets are?'

Quick Reply

Latest