Thavee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!

I'm an international student and I have recently completed my LPC at City University London.
I have managed to secure a Training Contract with a firm. However, my student visa (tier 4) is ending in 3 months and I'm not sure which visa category (tier) I should apply to stay in the UK to complete my TC. Can you please advise?

Thanks
Lanes17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I am close to being in a similar position, could you let me know what you did to approach this issue?

Thanks
Lanes17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
It's tier 2 (I think)
Thanks, however, I will have a gap year in between the end of my LPC (2020) and the start of my TC which will be on 2021. I have been informed by the firm that if do not obtain a work visa my offer would be withdrawn and I would have to repay the full course fees and maintenance grant.

Do you know if it is possible at all for law firms to help with making a direct Tier 2 application instead of the usual conversion from Tier 4 to Tier 2?
username4448686
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are not in an enviable position. Your tier 4 visa will lapse, so your firm will have to sponsor and directly apply for a tier 2 visa on your behalf.

The conversion from tier 4 to tier 2 is much simpler than directly applying for a tier 2 visa. If I recall correctly, the latter requires the firm to satisfy the labour market test; the former does not. In other words, the firm must show that no UK/EU national is more suitable for the position. If the Home Office is not satisfied that you are the most suitable candidate considering the availability of UK/EU nationals to fill that role, the visa will be denied (and your TC will presumably be revoked).

I suggest consulting an immigration lawyer for the specifics. With Brexit looming and the focus shifting to skilled immigration, there is a likelihood that the Home Office will be more lenient with visa applications, but I wouldn’t bet money on it.
Last edited by username4448686; 1 year ago
Lanes17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. And I think you're right, in addition to the labour market test I also think the firm would have to pay £1,000 for the first year of work and £500 for every further 6 month period, which is not great. I'll try to defer my LPC but it's a bit crazy seeing as how I had enrolled and the firm presumably paid for the course fees already.
username4448686
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lanes17)
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. And I think you're right, in addition to the labour market test I also think the firm would have to pay £1,000 for the first year of work and £500 for every further 6 month period, which is not great. I'll try to defer my LPC but it's a bit crazy seeing as how I had enrolled and the firm presumably paid for the course fees already.
Yup. If the LPC is non-refundable (I can’t remember when you must revoke your acceptance by), you may be asked to pay back the LPC fees. But that’s better than having the TC withdrawn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (268)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.7%

Watched Threads