Turn on thread page Beta

Why weren't we ever asked if we wanted immigration? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I go to London and feel like crying. When you are there you don't feel like you are in an English city. Immigration has seemed to just kind of happen; we were never asked if we wanted it. Those who protest the loss of their identity and culture are decried as racists. The people who caused it or brought it about are not punished and are completely free from responsibility or reproach. The reason we were never asked is because we would have said no thanks. Even though we live in a so called democracy it exists as an illusion based on a bunch of public school oxbridge educated elites who have nothing to do with the people whom they claim to represent. Now that it has happened it cannot be reversed; we must make friends with the people who have come here merely to better their own lives and are completely free from wrongdoing. However as for the people who brought it about they themselves are a complete disgrace and I for one will never forgive them.

ReputationRep:
    If the public had been allowed their say then no foreigners whatsoever would have been let in. Unfortunately the cultural Marxists took over and now traditional Britain is all but dead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm brown and I'm in town. Deal with it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Sometimes I go to London and feel like crying. When you are there you don't feel like you are in an English city. Immigration has seemed to just kind of happen; we were never asked if we wanted it. Those who protest the loss of their identity and culture are decried as racists. The people who caused it or brought it about are not punished and are completely free from responsibility or reproach. The reason we were never asked is because we would have said no thanks. Even though we live in a so called democracy it exists as an illusion based on a bunch of public school oxbridge educated elites who have nothing to do with the people whom they claim to represent. Now that it has happened it cannot be reversed; we must make friends with the people who have come here merely to better their own lives and are completely free from wrongdoing. However as for the people who brought it about they themselves are a complete disgrace and I for one will never forgive them.
    I see what you mean London is such an economic failure compared to the rest of the country.

Immigration has happened for hundreds of years or would you rather pretend nobody else exists outside England?

ReputationRep:
    Democracy does not require that the public is consulted on every single issue. They elect a government based on their manifesto, and that government then (hopefully) delivers it. If every major, individual decision were left to the layperson rather than the "educated elites", the country as a whole would suffer. I for one, prefer decisions to be made by people who know what they're doing.

You complain about London, but it's our country's biggest contributor to our economic affluence.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is going to be good. Calm before the storm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    If the public had been allowed their say then no foreigners whatsoever would have been let in. Unfortunately the cultural Marxists took over and now traditional Britain is all but dead.
    um pretty sure immigration policy deliberately designed to take all the workers most necessary for economic development out of developing countries into the home economy is a capitalist mechanism, not sure why you're bringing 'cultural Marxism' into this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I see what you mean London is such an economic failure compared to the rest of the country.

Immigration has happened for hundreds of years or would you rather pretend nobody else exists outside England?
    1/ It would still be successful without immigration

2/ The level of immigration in the past two decades is unprecedented in our national history we haven't 'always been a nation of immigrants'.

3/ you haven't actually addressed the original question

ReputationRep:
    I've been down London a few times over the years and if you know where to go which is mostly everywhere there, you would feel an English presence still. Thankfully coloured people are mostly concentrated in particular and few areas, as in London and the entire country. Don't let it bother you, what you cryn for?! lol It's still a very English place just avoid Tower Hamlets and that, you shouldn't want to live there anyway. That's why they're redoing the place, making it look nice, making it costly. Part of me gets it (you want the place to look nice and if you're racist you wouldn't care about pushing other people out), but another part of me thinks if that's the case, they're defeating the purpose. Because all that does is push foreigners to other places in the country where they can afford to live lol. If separatism is your goal then I say keep pricing moderate in certain areas of big cities so they can afford to live there and stay there, and only the ones who can truly afford to live elsewhere should do so.

ReputationRep:
    People voted for governments that increased immigration and reelected them so yeah you kind of were asked. As for London, it is a cosmopolitan city and the vast majority of Londoners are happy to be living in this sort of city with a high population of people from around the world. London is successful because it has attracted talent from across the world.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean. But honestly without immigration all around the world today and in the past (historically) no current cultures would exist. English culture itself is a product of different groups of people immigrating such as the Vikings and Romans. Not to forget that English culture has influenced much of the western world.

I personally believe that culture is forever changing and that immigration cannot be completely controlled.

ReputationRep:
    Checking in for the inevitable ****storm this thread will create

ReputationRep:
    Why weren't countries asked if they wanted to be invaded, colonized, enslaved by your people?

ReputationRep:
    You know them ones when you want someone to just stop existing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Good. Don't come London, we don't need racists like you. Know your history cretin

ReputationRep:
    In before this thread gets another 100 pages.

ReputationRep:
    Dude aren't you ment to be in prison?

ReputationRep:
    I think Immigration shows how attractive the United Kingdom is, what we have to offer as a nation.

People have come here from far away because their own country is inferior to our values.

These values are being taken advantage of more than ever, and personally, I think we need to control this and have a points based system as suggested by UKIP so we get the correct people...

ReputationRep:
    Tell how diverse the Shires of England are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezno)
    Why weren't countries asked if they wanted to be invaded, colonized, enslaved by your people?

The old British Empire argument again

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.