The Student Room Group

Can i do a-level maths??

In my school the required grade to do A-level Maths is an A however after the exams I feel absolutely unassured and I feel like I haven't got an A.
I did further maths gcse as well but that was probably my *****est exam, I literally mean **** I don't think I even got 10 marks on each paper and one of them was out of 205.

They used to do algebra tests for those who got a B in maths who want to do A-level but they've taken that out as well.

what do you think I should do? should I beg? like proper? I would actually do that because I need maths for all the career options I want to follow which are all based around science and slightly medicine.
Reply 1
Original post by TUGBA_AYDIN1
In my school the required grade to do A-level Maths is an A however after the exams I feel absolutely unassured and I feel like I haven't got an A.
I did further maths gcse as well but that was probably my *****est exam, I literally mean **** I don't think I even got 10 marks on each paper and one of them was out of 205.

They used to do algebra tests for those who got a B in maths who want to do A-level but they've taken that out as well.

what do you think I should do? should I beg? like proper? I would actually do that because I need maths for all the career options I want to follow which are all based around science and slightly medicine.

Hi there! If your teachers are aware you are an A grade student who is capable of doing a level maths yes, I would recommend you negotiating...however the competition for maths a level is ridiculously high do some research on the career to see if there are any alternate paths to the same destination you never know what you may discover. May I ask what career do you have in mind?

If you don't get the required grade but are close to the grade boundary and your teachers consider you capable of improvement then it will be worth asking. If your further maths result is as poor as you suggest then this doesn't really support your case to have the aptitude for A level maths. Begging your way onto the course won't help if you get kicked off or achieve a bad grade. Make sure you have thought through why your results don't seem to have met the target and what you would do differently to ensure A level success.

Maths A level is nice to have but is not required for medicine. Good maths skills are helpful in any scientific discipline, A level is almost essential for any physics related career, helpful in chemistry depending on what direction you take but is certainly not essential in biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

Further maths grade boundaries are usually really really low, so you might be okay. But for maths, you'll just have to wait to see what you've got. It's likely they'll let you on to do maths A Level if they know you are capable of doing it. The school teachers know your capability much better than an exam can measure it, so if they believe you can do A Level maths, I'm sure they'll let you.

Quick Reply

Latest