The Student Room Group

Uni courses - biochemistry or biomedical sciences?!?

In the last few weeks I have decided to no longer apply to study medicine at university. I am now slightly unsure about what to do instead. I have been thinking about biochemistry or biomedical sciences. H

However, I slightly feel like biomedical sciences is just the course for failed doctors and that it may not be regarded very highly as a degree? And what do I do after uni with this degree - I don't know if I will want my entire career to be in science and might want to do something in business or finance??

I am interested in biochemistry but am aware that this course at most unis is largely focussed on cells and mechanisms at a very molecular level and am not sure if I want to do a course that only does cells??

Would really appreciate peoples opinions !
Thanks !
How about human biology then? Or something along those lines :smile:
What about Pharmacy? You still have a similar interaction with patients and will work alongside the NHS. You may even be able to complete a foundation course if your A-level grades don't quite reach entry requirements. For example, I study at De Montfort university and the first year of Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science acts as a foundation course so you can then move on to study Pharmacy instead.
Reply 3
Are you going into your final year of school? If that is the case, you have plenty of time to decide, but it's good that you are giving yourself time to decide.

Many people think that Biochemistry is Biology and Chemistry smashed together, when actually is focuses primarily on proteins (enzymes more specifically) and molecular metabolic pathways. So you say you don't like cells/molecules, maybe this isn't the course for you.

Biomed sci could be an option if you like the anatomy and physiology side, or perhaps Biology (the degree I'm studying) - where you get to pick a wide array of modules within the biological sciences (such as molecular biology, genetics, evolution, physiology, ecology etc).

If you are interested in disease, you might want to try looking at immunology and microbiology degrees too, they could be an option ?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending