Is Glasgow University a good choice?

Watch
Bas_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I currently hold an offer from Glasgow University for Accountancy/Economics. I also read previous threads that said "Glasgow University is the worst choice" but that was a 2012/2013 thread. I was just wondering is Glasgow really a bad choice? How bad is it? What are the negatives about it? Or is it better now? Does going to Glasgow Uni hinders any employment chances? Thanks in advance
evalilyXOX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bas_)
Hi, I currently hold an offer from Glasgow University for Accountancy/Economics. I also read previous threads that said "Glasgow University is the worst choice" but that was a 2012/2013 thread. I was just wondering is Glasgow really a bad choice? How bad is it? What are the negatives about it? Or is it better now? Does going to Glasgow Uni hinders any employment chances? Thanks in advance
Hi there I am current Glasgow University student (although not for accountancy/economics).

I think there will always be people that have negative opinions about a university, but I have certainly enjoyed my time here. I cannot speak specifically for how well your course is taught but i would always check the league tables for more information there.

In terms of the university as a whole, it is situated in one of the nicest areas of Glasgow and the campus is very beautiful. The facilities are great and there are lots of interesting societies and clubs to join. We have 2 unions - although my favourite is the GUU and the nightlife is great ! It is only a short tube ride into Glasgow city centre where there are a huge variety of shops, restaurants, pubs, clubs etc.

The university has a very friendly and welcoming environment and strives to make you feel at home here. The teaching on the whole is good but obviously no department is perfect and amazing at any uni (there is always that 1 awful/scary/boring lecturer ).

Glasgow university from what i have heard from employers is well respected and is a Russell Group institution which some people favour.

Hope this helps but if you have any further questions you have always pm me.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I graduated from Glasgow University this year in Psychology. It's definitely a great university with a good reputation, so you can't really go wrong. The only thing that can hinder your employment opportunities is yourself; your experiences, skills, and personal qualities will always trump what university you happened to study at - but you can't really go wrong with Glasgow, as long as you are willing to work hard and take all the opportunities that are presented to you.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Glasgow has a great reputation and academic standing. Also a good % of employed graduates.
DunaskinMillGlasgow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As well as working with lots of Glasgow students now, I did my degree at Glasgow (although not in economics). I loved my time there - it's a great university, and Glasgow's an amazing place to live . The students living in our accommodation almost all seem happy with their experience.

It's a university with a great reputation and a long history, so I don't think it should hinder your employment opportunities at all!

If it helps, I looked up Unistats and 86% of economics graduates from Glasgow were happy with their course, with an average salary 6 months after graduating of £25,000 - so not too bad!
evangekk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello there I have the same question. Is the University of Glasgow a good choice. I have an unconditional offer in MSc Structural Engineering.
Any advice?
Sarahhhhhh_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bas_)
Hi Bas_

My name is Sarah and I have just completed my second year of accounting and finance at the university of Glasgow. I currently work for the university's Ask a Student service.

In my opinion Glasgow University would be an excellent choice for Accounting/Economics as the university is home to the triple accredited Adam Smith Busoness School, a statistic in which only 1% of the worlds business schools hold.

The Accountancy degree is very structured so you get the opportunity to study a range of different of subject areas, all of which grant you expections from professional Accountancy examinations bodies, should you chose this career path. I have found that the course is very interesting and the lecturers are very passionate and engaging in their chosen subject field. The lecturers are always very open to any queries you may have and they frequently have talks from large employers within their lectures to reinforce the idea that what they are teaching is actually used in the workplace.

Also, both Accountancy and economics have their own society, which frequently hold career talks and seminars from a number of internationally recognisable and large companies. These talks allow you to network with current graduates and the ability to gain an insight into the companies and to ask employers any questions. The societies give you the opportunity to learn more about a companies recruitment process as well as giving you the opportunity to meet many new people.

In my opinion, you should certainly consider Glasgow University as an option for accounting/economics not only for their world class teaching but also their emphasis on how to enter a profession with the necessary skills you need to succeed in the workplace.

I hope you find this helpful and if you have any more questions please get in touch.

All the best
Sarah
earthcat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what about the Msc program in mathematics? Is it good?
George OB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Adam Smith Business School is pretty bad
LEM99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recently just started my 2nd year studying Economics at Glasgow and have absolutely hated it. I personally thought the teaching quality was very poor and so did others on my course. Accountancy is more of a set degree system with the extra economics added so it is not likely you will have to pick extra modules but for someone picking solely economics has to pick electives that they have no interest in. Everyone also gets appointed an Adviser of Studies but I found them to be incredibly unhelpful and that when I was meeting with them they did not want to be there. Yes, Glasgow is quite an esteemed University and has good job prospects after leaving but I know a lot of people who have been extremely unhappy at this Uni, especially in the Business school. I have a friend who studied accountancy at Glasgow in first year and then transferred to Strathclyde because she was extremely unhappy. This is not to say that you will have the same experiences at Glasgow but just an insight into a few problems I’ve experienced.
73iso
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LEM99)
I recently just started my 2nd year studying Economics at Glasgow and have absolutely hated it. I personally thought the teaching quality was very poor and so did others on my course. Accountancy is more of a set degree system with the extra economics added so it is not likely you will have to pick extra modules but for someone picking solely economics has to pick electives that they have no interest in. Everyone also gets appointed an Adviser of Studies but I found them to be incredibly unhelpful and that when I was meeting with them they did not want to be there. Yes, Glasgow is quite an esteemed University and has good job prospects after leaving but I know a lot of people who have been extremely unhappy at this Uni, especially in the Business school. I have a friend who studied accountancy at Glasgow in first year and then transferred to Strathclyde because she was extremely unhappy. This is not to say that you will have the same experiences at Glasgow but just an insight into a few problems I’ve experienced.
What don't you like about the teaching?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads