The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaroarKat
I know, a part of me died a little, haha! I hope not :s-smilie: English Language and Linguistics - yours? :smile:

Linguistics and Sociology :smile: Sounds like yours is very relevant so a high 2.1 definitely shouldn't hold you back!
UCL has to be under 3000 characters or alternatively no more than 1 side of A4, no larger than 12pt font. It says in their FAQ's I think. :smile: Applications opened on Monday, I'm sure you saw though!

Since they don't say anything about spacing, would it be alright to do single spacing? Mine is over 3000 characters, but it'll fit in a single-spaced A4 page.
Original post by Sinead95
Linguistics and Sociology :smile: Sounds like yours is very relevant so a high 2.1 definitely shouldn't hold you back!

Ooo that sounds like a good combo, I guess you did lots of sociolinguistics in later years? Have you finished or are you in your final year? :smile: So does yours, and probably everyone else's, so it doesn't chill me out too much, haha!
Since they don't say anything about spacing, would it be alright to do single spacing? Mine is over 3000 characters, but it'll fit in a single-spaced A4 page.

I assume so, I think mine was probably single spaced on one side of A4 and it has passed 'initial assessment' (where I assume they look at it to make sure everything is there and allowed) and is onto proper assessment. :smile:
Reply 44
Is anyone else having problems with the UCL application system? It keeps crashing on me! I can't get past education without this big yellow error page coming up!
Original post by HollyIndiaa
Oh great thank you! I know City is 750 words so I was just making sure! Wow 500 words is nothing! I really struggled with the word limit on City's additional statement - they ask you why you want to be an SLT in 100 words or fewer!

Just wanted to say that for the additional statement party for City, it says approximately X words. It doesn’t specify more or less, so as it says approximately, I’ve gone over by about 50-100 words on all 3 questions lol. Because that word count is more flexible than the definite no more than 750 for the personal statement, I thought I’d write as much as I could (maybe I’m pushing too much.... but it says approximately so I’m expecting they’ll expect we will go over)! Xx
Is anyone else having problems with the UCL application system? It keeps crashing on me! I can't get past education without this big yellow error page coming up!

UCL hasn’t opened yet has it??
Reply 47
Original post by Darcy G
UCL hasn’t opened yet has it??

I didn't think so but I was looking at the wrong page!! Google 'UCL Speech and Language Sciences' and I think it's the second link!
UCL has to be under 3000 characters or alternatively no more than 1 side of A4, no larger than 12pt font. It says in their FAQ's I think. :smile: Applications opened on Monday, I'm sure you saw though!

Has UCL opened? When I go on their website it still says applications are due to open mid October, so I thought they hadn’t opened yet? Seems like everyone else thinks differently...?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/masters/TMSSPESLAN01/application-intake-2018
Reply 49
Original post by Darcy G
Has UCL opened? When I go on their website it still says applications are due to open mid October, so I thought they hadn’t opened yet? Seems like everyone else thinks differently...?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/masters/TMSSPESLAN01/application-intake-2018

Yeah I was looking at that same link until this morning! Scroll to the bottom of this link and it's open. I don't know why they haven't updated both pages!

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught/degrees/speech-language-sciences-msc
Yeah I was looking at that same link until this morning! Scroll to the bottom of this link and it's open. I don't know why they haven't updated both pages!

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught/degrees/speech-language-sciences-msc

Oh god! Thank you, that’s so annoying that I didn’t know. I haven’t even started my application yet, I was hoping I could use my City personal statement which I’m working on for the UCL one but it looks like the UCL personal statement is really specified to the course/modules offered and less about experience? Which is weird. So that’s annoying, pretty much have to do 2 separate ones:frown: also... I’m struggling to make an account on the UCL portal. I keep getting met with a yellow ERROR screen or it says my passwords aren’t correct etc. So many problems. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Reply 51
Original post by Darcy G
Oh god! Thank you, that’s so annoying that I didn’t know. I haven’t even started my application yet, I was hoping I could use my City personal statement which I’m working on for the UCL one but it looks like the UCL personal statement is really specified to the course/modules offered and less about experience? Which is weird. So that’s annoying, pretty much have to do 2 separate ones:frown: also... I’m struggling to make an account on the UCL portal. I keep getting met with a yellow ERROR screen or it says my passwords aren’t correct etc. So many problems. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I know! I was refreshing the other UCL page every day waiting for it to open! Yeah I've been having the same problems with the UCL application system, I basically just persevered with it! I hope it gets fixed soon though!
Hey everyone! I am applying too. I'm going to apply to as many places as possible for the best chance of getting in somewhere.. So far I've applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, Reading; and I'm applying to UCL, City, Essex, and QMU in the next few days/weeks hopefully! It's so stressful having to rewrite work experience and personal statements for each uni!! How are you all getting on so far with applications?

I kept the largely the same statement and just adapted it for Sheffield and Newcastle.
Just thought I would jump in and say Hi! I was in the same position as all of you last year and I am now on the course at UCL so if you have any questions just ask :smile:
Original post by rainbowworld
Just thought I would jump in and say Hi! I was in the same position as all of you last year and I am now on the course at UCL so if you have any questions just ask :smile:

Oooh how are you finding it? I have a few pals on the Sheffield course and they say it's great, but they pretty much have no free time!
Original post by rainbowworld

Oo congrats! Just a few questions if you don't mind...

Where did you do your undergrad, what was your undergrad, and what did you get in it? And how long did it take UCL to get back to you about your application? What was your work experience like/how much?

(Sorry for the bombardment, can you tell I really want to at least get to interview there...? :wink: )
Oo congrats! Just a few questions if you don't mind...

Where did you do your undergrad, what was your undergrad, and what did you get in it? And how long did it take UCL to get back to you about your application? What was your work experience like/how much?

(Sorry for the bombardment, can you tell I really want to at least get to interview there...? :wink: )

Hi, good luck with your application :smile:
I did my undergraduate in social sciences at Bath but there is a complete range! People from all different unis and different subjects, obviously a lot of linguistics and psychology but also lots of quite unrelated degrees! I got a high-ish 2:1 and you have to have a 2:1 but I don't know if they look any further into your grade than your classification. I think a good reference is really important for application process - much more than degree subject/score.

Erm I applied end of October I think or maybe early November. I think they got back to me about interview early in December. So maybe 5-6 weeks?

I worked as a SLTA and that was my main experience but also other bits and bobs. Mainly paediatric. Again there is loads of variety on the course though - people with very little experience or people with experience all in one area etc. I would say only about 1/5 were SLTAs before the course.
I think they cared about understanding of the job and potential to study and potential to make a good therapist more than having years and years of experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by arneldfad
Oooh how are you finding it? I have a few pals on the Sheffield course and they say it's great, but they pretty much have no free time!

Yeah I love it, although I find phonetics ridiculously difficult ( I've never done it before)
But yes - no free time. I work on our study day off (as do lots of people on the course to afford to live!) And that means I normally have to use both days at the weekend and most/all evenings during the week to study which is hard when your brain is already at saturation from the 9-5 lectures! Worth it though and the other students are lovely and the staff are brilliant! :smile:
Thank you for the in depth answer, I appreciate it! The variety they have makes me a little happier, I was worried they would only accept people with Firsts and huge work experience, so that's a nice surprise. Good to know about the 5/6 weeks thing/December - I applied the day it opened, so if they end up responding in December I'll try to put it out of my mind until then! Would have assumed I had been rejected otherwise due to late response. Thank you, hope the course is going well and not too draining... (I see from your other answer it looks pretty full on!).
Ooo that sounds like a good combo, I guess you did lots of sociolinguistics in later years? Have you finished or are you in your final year? :smile: So does yours, and probably everyone else's, so it doesn't chill me out too much, haha!

I didn't actually do that much sociolinguistics! I've finished now, fingers crossed applications go ok! Did you apply last year or is this your first time applying?

Latest

Trending

Trending