The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jas86
Is the City portal playing up for anyone else? It was down earlier but came back online. However, it’s now saying I don’t have an application to view.

It's being very temperamental. My application is showing (no update), but I wouldn't worry too much as they seem to be having a problem with their servers. I'm sure if you look later/tomorrow it will be there.
Original post by Adesola
City are having some sort of live web chat at 4pm for people who have applied to either the BSC or MSC in speech and language therapy.

Would be a good opportunity to ask them any questions about the course/ funding etc.

Ooo... where are they having the web chat??
It’s for the BSC. Not for the MSC. Read it wrong.
Original post by Darcy G
Ooo... where are they having the web chat??

I can send a link if you’d like ?
Original post by Adesola
I can send a link if you’d like ?

If the live chat is for the MSc then yes please, thank you:smile:
Original post by Darcy G
If the live chat is for the MSc then yes please, thank you:smile:

Unfortunately, it’s not for the MSC burn I’m finding some of the information useful.
Original post by Adesola
Unfortunately, it’s not for the MSC burn I’m finding some of the information useful.

Oh okay, yes please then I’m sure I’ll find it useful too:smile:
Reply 587
After all that, I’ve just received an unconditional offer. See you in September!
Original post by jas86
After all that, I’ve just received an unconditional offer. See you in September!

Congratulations!!!!! See you then:smile:
Reply 589
Original post by jas86

Congratulations! See you in September.
Just in case anyone (like me) was sceptical on now being able to apply for student finance with all the correct stuff in place - I just tried, and it works!

The website recognises that we get the new amounts etc and both tuition fee and maintenance loans. Just make sure when applying you choose 'undergraduate' not 'postgraduate' - they list what they include below their titles in the boxes, and undergraduate includes our healthcare-y courses. It has all worked for me, applied and now will wait and see! Have had previous nightmares with SFE so hopefully it all goes smoothly this time. :P

(Don't have to know the confirmed fees to apply, just take the max loan and they'll adjust if it's lower and let you know if it's not enough!).
Original post by CaroarKat
Just in case anyone (like me) was sceptical on now being able to apply for student finance with all the correct stuff in place - I just tried, and it works!

The website recognises that we get the new amounts etc and both tuition fee and maintenance loans. Just make sure when applying you choose 'undergraduate' not 'postgraduate' - they list what they include below their titles in the boxes, and undergraduate includes our healthcare-y courses. It has all worked for me, applied and now will wait and see! Have had previous nightmares with SFE so hopefully it all goes smoothly this time. :P

(Don't have to know the confirmed fees to apply, just take the max loan and they'll adjust if it's lower and let you know if it's not enough!).

have you just looked at the student finance calculator or actually applied? I’m keen to apply asap but don’t want to apply for undergrad when it’s postgrad... has a university recommended this? I think I’m going to keep sitting tight and act when I get official information. can’t believe it’s supposed to have come into effect a few days ago and still no communication!
Original post by primarina
have you just looked at the student finance calculator or actually applied? I’m keen to apply asap but don’t want to apply for undergrad when it’s postgrad... has a university recommended this? I think I’m going to keep sitting tight and act when I get official information. can’t believe it’s supposed to have come into effect a few days ago and still no communication!

I actually applied. Under the 'undergraduate' section title when applying (you choose between a box for undergrad and a box for postgrad, both boxes list what they cover) it has 'Postgraduate Healthcare Courses' and a couple of other Master's level degrees too. And then it asks later if it's dentistry/medicine, and it doesn't auto boot you out when you say no, and later when you put the course title in, it matches it up and says you are eligible for the tuition and the maintenance loans, up to x y z, exactly what UCL said in their email earlier.

Someone quoted the UCL email earlier for their exact wording, so it's come from a uni and definitely works as I've now just applied :smile:

Sorry I probably made it sound confusing, you apply for a loan technically under the 'undergraduate' heading, but it's most definitely for your postgrad course, as it gives you opportunity to give course title (e.g. MSc Speech and Language Sciences). It then asked me which year of my degree I was applying for finance for, first or second, so clearly knew what was up. :smile:

Thank you for letting us know! Very eager to get this sorted too. But how come you selected undergraduate when it’s postgraduate?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Darcy G
Thank you for letting us know! Very eager to get this sorted too. But how come you selected undergraduate when it’s postgasuate?

See above comment, it's under 'undergraduate' but that includes the new style post grad courses. :smile:

Try applying now (it's like the first steps so you can stop whenever/cancel it), you'll see what I mean. It's hard to word sensibly but I have definitely applied for a loan for my postgrad course, not an undergrad one.
I actually applied. Under the 'undergraduate' section title when applying (you choose between a box for undergrad and a box for postgrad, both boxes list what they cover) it has 'Postgraduate Healthcare Courses' and a couple of other Master's level degrees too. And then it asks later if it's dentistry/medicine, and it doesn't auto boot you out when you say no, and later when you put the course title in, it matches it up and says you are eligible for the tuition and the maintenance loans, up to x y z, exactly what UCL said in their email earlier.

Someone quoted the UCL email earlier for their exact wording, so it's come from a uni and definitely works as I've now just applied :smile:

Sorry I probably made it sound confusing, you apply for a loan technically under the 'undergraduate' heading, but it's most definitely for your postgrad course, as it gives you opportunity to give course title (e.g. MSc Speech and Language Sciences). It then asked me which year of my degree I was applying for finance for, first or second, so clearly knew what was up. :smile:

Ahh I'm sooo happy this is all sorted! I nearly jumped for joy when I got the email from UCL this afternoon. I'm applying ASAP, thank you so much for the heads up about which box to check etc, I'll follow what you've done!
Just as proof that I have applied for the right thing - picture of the top bit of the summary. :smile: It goes on below to say I've applied for maintenance loan too.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 19.26.55.png

I would try and get a picture of the boxes I'm talking about, but I really can't be bothered trying to 'start a new application' in case it messes anything up! :P
Original post by slg1391
Ahh I'm sooo happy this is all sorted! I nearly jumped for joy when I got the email from UCL this afternoon. I'm applying ASAP, thank you so much for the heads up about which box to check etc, I'll follow what you've done!

Me too! I was so relieved! Yeah hopefully you see what I mean, I worded my first post badly and didn't clarify so I've caused unnecessary confusion >.< If you can get a screen shot of the boxes I'm talking about, they should be obvious, it might be useful to show others here, wish I'd thought of that before powering on with it in excitement!
Me too! I was so relieved! Yeah hopefully you see what I mean, I worded my first post badly and didn't clarify so I've caused unnecessary confusion >.< If you can get a screen shot of the boxes I'm talking about, they should be obvious, it might be useful to show others here, wish I'd thought of that before powering on with it in excitement!

This may be a stupid question... but is it only UCL people that can apply or can City people also apply (because we’ve not heard anything from them RE finance yet)? Sorry if that’s a silly question!!
Original post by Darcy G
This may be a stupid question... but is it only UCL people that can apply or can City people also apply (because we’ve not heard anything from them RE finance yet)? Sorry if that’s a silly question!!

I would imagine everyone, give it a whirl and see? :smile: I really really doubt they would have it set up for only one university, it has to be a standard confirmed thing (which it is now they've released and confirmed details) for it to make it to this stage. But don't quote me on that...!

Latest