Want more information about this university?

Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield Q&A

Watch
gomuninja830
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just finished my first year doing pharmacy at the Huddersfield. Any prospective students can feel free to ask me anything regarding the course or Huddersfield in general.
University of Huddersfield
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks gomuninja830, this is great! If we spot any queries from students about pharmacy, we'll be sure to put them in contact with you!

Best wishes,
Claire, UoH
darsimarsi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gomuninja830)
I just finished my first year doing pharmacy at the Huddersfield. Any prospective students can feel free to ask me anything regarding the course or Huddersfield in general.
Hello, i have been offered a place at Huddersfield and i wanted to ask you would you recommend it? Are you satisfied with the overall course? Are the lecturers good at explaining stuff? How are non-UK students treated? Do you like the city ?
Where did you apply and why chose Huddersfield?
It would be very helpful if u answer my questions. Thank you
gomuninja830
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by darsimarsi)
Hello, i have been offered a place at Huddersfield and i wanted to ask you would you recommend it? Are you satisfied with the overall course? Are the lecturers good at explaining stuff? How are non-UK students treated? Do you like the city ?
Where did you apply and why chose Huddersfield?
It would be very helpful if u answer my questions. Thank you
The overall course is quite good but since this is a pharmacy degree you have to be prepared to work hard as the course covers a lot of different aspects of pharmacy. Lecturers wise it depends on who it is, some are very good and keeps you engaged but others are not but I think this is true at all universities, it’s just the luck of the draw. Non-UK students are treated same as any student but they may have more assistance in terms of extra help from services from the university if they require it. Huddersfield is a town so it’s small compared to cities personally, I like it because it’s not as busy as some other cities yet there’s still a lot of things to do plus Leeds and Manchester are only a train ride away so it’s convenient. I applied to Bradford, Durham, Wolves and Lincoln as well the reason I picked Huddersfield is because it’s relatively close to home as personally I didn’t want to move too far away and I had family which studied here as well.

There’s a lot of factors when deciding on a university and is probably one of the biggest decision of your life, so really think about it and take your time don’t be rushed in to it. What I would say is that Pharmacy is no mean a easy course and we are working to become healthcare professionals one day so we do have to work hard. Most of the staff and lecturers at Huddersfield are ready and happy to help if you have any problems. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
darsimarsi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The overall course is quite good but since this is a pharmacy degree you have to be prepared to work hard as the course covers a lot of different aspects of pharmacy. Lecturers wise it depends on who it is, some are very good and keeps you engaged but others are not but I think this is true at all universities, it’s just the luck of the draw. Non-UK students are treated same as any student but they may have more assistance in terms of extra help from services from the university if they require it. Huddersfield is a town so it’s small compared to cities personally, I like it because it’s not as busy as some other cities yet there’s still a lot of things to do plus Leeds and Manchester are only a train ride away so it’s convenient. I applied to Bradford, Durham, Wolves and Lincoln as well the reason I picked Huddersfield is because it’s relatively close to home as personally I didn’t want to move too far away and I had family which studied here as well.

There’s a lot of factors when deciding on a university and is probably one of the biggest decision of your life, so really think about it and take your time don’t be rushed in to it. What I would say is that Pharmacy is no mean a easy course and we are working to become healthcare professionals one day so we do have to work hard. Most of the staff and lecturers at Huddersfield are ready and happy to help if you have any problems. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Thank u so much for the information!! I will ask if i have more questions
darsimarsi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hello, i have some questions regarding part-time jobs. Will it be easy for me to find a part-time job? Are there enough work placements available? Does it make a difference that i am a foreigner even though i speak fluent English? And will the university assist me with finding a part-time job?
Thank u very much!
gomuninja830
Rep:
?
(Original post by darsimarsi)
Hello, i have some questions regarding part-time jobs. Will it be easy for me to find a part-time job? Are there enough work placements available? Does it make a difference that i am a foreigner even though i speak fluent English? And will the university assist me with finding a part-time job?
Thank u very much!
It depends what part-time job you want but I don’t think it’ll be difficult to find one if you ask around in Huddersfield. However, if it’s a part-time job at a pharmacy it’ll be slightly more difficult but I do know some people that have. Lecturers and personal tutor may help you find a job but this depends who it is and sometimes they email pharmacy students about a vacancies for weekends or summer placements available but it may not necessarily be in Huddersfield so I would just ask around. Getting a part time job is fine, I work over the weekend but balancing out work and university is very important. Foreigner or not it honestly doesn’t make a difference. Also for pharmacy we’re given four days of work placement every year as part of our course and an assignment will be based on your experience, these placements are not paid and are just for our own benefit to experience a real working pharmacy.
darsimarsi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends what part-time job you want but I don’t think it’ll be difficult to find one if you ask around in Huddersfield. However, if it’s a part-time job at a pharmacy it’ll be slightly more difficult but I do know some people that have. Lecturers and personal tutor may help you find a job but this depends who it is and sometimes they email pharmacy students about a vacancies for weekends or summer placements available but it may not necessarily be in Huddersfield so I would just ask around. Getting a part time job is fine, I work over the weekend but balancing out work and university is very important. Foreigner or not it honestly doesn’t make a difference. Also for pharmacy we’re given four days of work placement every year as part of our course and an assignment will be based on your experience, these placements are not paid and are just for our own benefit to experience a real working pharmacy.
Thank u very much!! This was really helpful.
Zara.99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by University of Huddersfield)
Thanks gomuninja830, this is great! If we spot any queries from students about pharmacy, we'll be sure to put them in contact with you!

Best wishes,
Claire, UoH
Hi,I just wanted to ask how some students are getting along with the course especially that have a mix of BTEC and A-level.Some May have done Applied science .just wanted to ask how they are getting along with the course? How hard did u find the first year of pharmacy?
l.m.a.oo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i am looking to take on the pharmacy course and i was wondering what did you take for your a levels? i know biology and chemistry is a must but im not sure for the 3rd option .

and also how hard it the course? is it manageable ? thank you
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zara.99)
Hi,I just wanted to ask how some students are getting along with the course especially that have a mix of BTEC and A-level.Some May have done Applied science .just wanted to ask how they are getting along with the course? How hard did u find the first year of pharmacy?
Hi gomuninja830 -are you still available to answer Pharmacy related questions?

Thanks,
Claire, UoH
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by l.m.a.oo)
i am looking to take on the pharmacy course and i was wondering what did you take for your a levels? i know biology and chemistry is a must but im not sure for the 3rd option .

@gomuninja830 and another one!

Thanks,
Claire, UoH
Samira riaz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello
I studied pharmaceutical chemistry foundation year in MMU with grade AAB and I have IELST 6 I want to apply pharmacy in Huddersfield , I have GCSE maths grade A as well .
do you think is there any chance to apply it through the clearing ?
Many thanks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello Samira,

We have some information about clearing on our website which you might find useful or you could give our team a call to chat through your options. They're really helpful and you can ask them anything you want

You can find out a bit more about the process here - https://www.hud.ac.uk/clearing/#!#results

I hope this helps and best of luck with your application!

Kind regards,
Julie, UoH
gomuninja830
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zara.99)
Hello sorry for the late reply I have not been on student room for a while. Personally I came to university through A-Levels so I’m not too sure how BTEC students will find it. I’m guessing they may find it slightly bit more difficult depending on what BTEC they done but it shouldn’t be a massive gap. First year is all about getting use to the university and how different it is to college or high school. It’s definitely a learning curve but it’s nothing to worry about too much as long as you do enough revision and attend lectures etc. you should be fine.
gomuninja830
Rep:
?
(Original post by l.m.a.oo)

Hello sorry for the late reply I have not been on student room for a while. I did biology, chemistry and maths which definitely set up a strong foundation to study pharmacy. I used my knowledge from all 3 subject during my course, some more than others, maths is not necessary essential but it’s a good subject to pick which relates to the course. However, at the end of the day it depends on which subject you’re most confident in to achieve those A-Level grades.

First year is not necessarily hard it’s just getting use to the difference in teaching between university and college. Pharmacy wise especially in Huddersfield has quite a lot of contact times e.g. lectures, tutorials and practicals and we’re in most days of the week, it is manageable but don’t think it’s a walk in the park either. If you put enough hours in revision and attend lectures everything should be fine don’t worry about it too much.
gomuninja830
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Huddersfield)
Hi gomuninja830 -are you still available to answer Pharmacy related questions?

Thanks,
Claire, UoH
Sorry I haven’t been on for a while but I’ll make myself more available during the next couple of months to answer any UoH or Pharmacy related question.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry I haven’t been on for a while but I’ll make myself more available during the next couple of months to answer any UoH or Pharmacy related question.
Great to have you back gomuninja830 - thanks for all the responses!

Claire, UoH
Samira riaz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello
Finally I get a place in pharmacy in UoH , I need some information regarding placement . In the first year how many days is per week and where are they ? How can I travel to the placement ? Can I apply travel grant from student finance ?
Many thanks
Sami
student20200
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'd just like to know how the pharmacy timetable looks like as I want to know what I will be taking on, like how much free-time you get a day and what a week consists of?

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
63.02%
I don't have everything I need (71)
36.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed