Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What's it like to study medicine and what advice would you give to med applicants? Also, how did you go about the whole application process? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahlaladolly)
    What's it like to study medicine and what advice would you give to med applicants? Also, how did you go about the whole application process? Thanks
    That's such a good question and I am interested to hear what people say as I am also hoping to apply for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    That's such a good question and I am interested to hear what people say as I am also hoping to apply for medicine
    Thank you I'm hoping we get replies, as I'm really interested in applying too

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you are applying to? I applied for graduate entry medicine. Research each university and their requirements, get plenty of work experience, read up on some interview books.

I am due to start this September but was able to secure all my offers. I think the biggest strength of my application was that I was able to self reflect on all my work experiences (ability for introspection is very important during interview) and I had a great understanding on why I wanted to medicine and the realities of medicine. You need to show that you are mature and understand that a medical profession is not easy, and there will be very tough periods.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

You can read all about the whole process on our Step-by-Step Guide to Medicine.

To hear from current medical students on what it's like to study medicine, you can read a range of our medical student case studies - and we also have a range of case studies for almost every medical school in the UK, which you can visit here. These include the best parts of studying medicine plus advice to potential applicants!

You might also like to look at our blogs too.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    ... what advice would you give to med applicants? Also, how did you go about the whole application process?
    Take a look at this wiki, it's super useful.

(Original post by Osiris Wintereisse)
    -
    I remember you from the Exeter thread - out of curiosity, did you end up firming them or some other uni?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you are applying to? I applied for graduate entry medicine. Research each university and their requirements, get plenty of work experience, read up on some interview books.

I am due to start this September but was able to secure all my offers. I think the biggest strength of my application was that I was able to self reflect on all my work experiences (ability for introspection is very important during interview) and I had a great understanding on why I wanted to medicine and the realities of medicine. You need to show that you are mature and understand that a medical profession is not easy, and there will be very tough periods.
    Hey, I'm applying for Undergraduate next year and I think I'm set. I have my work experience this month, which I think will be an eye opener. Did you attend any open days and thank you for replying. Also, did you sit any entrance exams?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much I'll be sure to check it out
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi there!

You can read all about the whole process on our Step-by-Step Guide to Medicine.

To hear from current medical students on what it's like to study medicine, you can read a range of our medical student case studies - and we also have a range of case studies for almost every medical school in the UK, which you can visit here. These include the best parts of studying medicine plus advice to potential applicants!

You might also like to look at our blogs too.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    (Original post by StationToStation)

I remember you from the Exeter thread - out of curiosity, did you end up firming them or some other uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm applying for Undergraduate next year and I think I'm set. I have my work experience this month, which I think will be an eye opener. Did you attend any open days and thank you for replying. Also, did you sit any entrance exams?
    I did the GAMSAT and I did attend all the open days just to get a good vibe of all the potential places.

I would recommend that you keep a journal during your work experience and try and self reflect as much as possible - this really makes you shine during interviews. Most students rattle off about what they saw and experienced, but to be able to truly reflect on the experiences and personal shortcomings is a hallmark of a great medical professional.

I was told that a lot of medical students end up staying in the same area after graduation so it's worth placing some weight on the area that you will be studying at.

Best of luck with everything!

ReputationRep:

I ended up firming Exeter although it was my third choice at the beginning, I realised liked the area the most out of the other unis.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up firming Exeter although it was my third choice at the beginning, I realised liked the area the most out of the other unis.
    Ah ok. It does seem like such a fantastic med school and Devon is super lovely. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. It does seem like such a fantastic med school and Devon is super lovely. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    you are off to oxford right? Best of luck to you as well. I am sure we will cross paths at some point or another!

ReputationRep:
    you are off to oxford right? Best of luck to you as well. I am sure we will cross paths at some point or another!
    Lol I wish, they rejected me post-interview! Maybe some day for grad studies - in September I'm heading to King's.

Quite possibly! All the best

ReputationRep:
    Lol I wish, they rejected me post-interview! Maybe some day for grad studies - in September I'm heading to King's.

Quite possibly! All the best
    London is much more exciting anyway haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!
    I did the GAMSAT and I did attend all the open days just to get a good vibe of all the potential places.

I would recommend that you keep a journal during your work experience and try and self reflect as much as possible - this really makes you shine during interviews. Most students rattle off about what they saw and experienced, but to be able to truly reflect on the experiences and personal shortcomings is a hallmark of a great medical professional.

I was told that a lot of medical students end up staying in the same area after graduation so it's worth placing some weight on the area that you will be studying at.

Best of luck with everything!

ReputationRep:

Medicine is great, you'll lose your hair but it's quite rewarding.

In terms of applying, make sure you apply to your strengths firstly. See how many A*s you have at GCSE, your UKCAT score and BMAT (if applicable) and apply to where your strengths (for example, if you have great GCSE's) would maximise your chance of getting an interview. Work experience (the length doesn't matter) helps to add bulk to your personal statement, along with any E.Cs you may have done.

As mentioned above the wiki is pretty useful, also have a read around latest University requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. When do you suggest doing the UKCAT and BMAT?
    And also did you find open days helpful?

(Original post by BlindingLight)

In terms of applying, make sure you apply to your strengths firstly. See how many A*s you have at GCSE, your UKCAT score and BMAT (if applicable) and apply to where your strengths (for example, if you have great GCSE's) would maximise your chance of getting an interview. Work experience (the length doesn't matter) helps to add bulk to your personal statement, along with any E.Cs you may have done.

As mentioned above the wiki is pretty useful, also have a read around latest University requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlindingLight)

Have you completed the full course?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. When do you suggest doing the UKCAT and BMAT?
    And also did you find open days helpful?

UKCAT can be done anytime from July to September (but double check, I did mine 7 years ago in August). Doesn't take longer than 3 weeks to prepare. The BMAT itself has a set date with everyone sitting it at the same time.

I have never gone to an open day..

(Original post by twentyone_exams)
    Have you completed the full course?
    I've passed my finals and currently in final year.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.