The Student Room Group

is doing two facilitating a levels good enough to get into Russel Group universities?

Hi! I was wondering whether doing history, french and film studies would make it harder for me to get into good universities. Does film studies look bad and put me at a disadvantage? The other combination I am considering is history, politics and french but I would prefer to do film studies.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paula.back
Hi! I was wondering whether doing history, french and film studies would make it harder for me to get into good universities. Does film studies look bad and put me at a disadvantage? The other combination I am considering is history, politics and french but I would prefer to do film studies.
Thanks

It should be sufficient for most, but they all have different policies, so its best to check. Sounds like a kop out, but its true. The tougher the entry requirements then the more likely they are to see it as soft, but they give an indication on their websites.

A bit of research will give you a better idea.
Reply 2
Thanks

Look at uni websites to see requirements.

But for good unis i.e. high ranking/russell group unis you will be at somewhat of a disadvantage
Reply 3
Thanks

Do 3 A-levels you think you will enjoy and do well at. Your combination is fine (depending on which specific course you intend to apply to...).

Original post by asgard22
But for good unis i.e. high ranking/russell group unis you will be at somewhat of a disadvantage

Nope. Oxbridge, for example, will be fine with those subjects - depending on the course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury

Nope. Oxbridge, for example, will be fine with those subjects - depending on the course.

If you want to stand a chance against the competition then no, they won't cut it. Not for oxbridge law/economics.
Reply 5
If you want to stand a chance against the competition then no, they won't cut it. Not for oxbridge law/economics.

It's absolutely fine for law. Obviously not for economics because no maths, not because of film studies.
Reply 6
It's absolutely fine for law. Obviously not for economics because no maths, not because of film studies.

You're selling dreams really. Almost taking the mick.
Yes, those would suffice for many courses, and you would have to research which ones. It's mostly about the grade.
Reply 8

Let's ask shall we:

@BrasenoseAdm @Peterhouse Admissions could a candidate offering History, French and Film Studies at A-level be considered competitive for Law? Or, say, for History?
Thanks

Let's ask shall we:

@BrasenoseAdm @Peterhouse Admissions could a candidate offering History, French and Film Studies at A-level be considered competitive for Law? Or, say, for History?

Hi there, we've been summoned!

Yes, those subjects could certainly support a successful application to Law or History or indeed History with a Modern Language, ASNC, MML (a great combination) or indeed most of our arts and humanities courses. You'd have to ask other RG universities about their stance. If you think there's a chance you might be interested in History and Politics at Cambridge (over History), then Politics might be a better option, but it isn't essential.

Remember All candidates are considered individually on a case-by-case basis and their entire application is read through in detail several times by several people before any decision is made.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

Yes, those subjects could certainly support a successful application to Law or History or indeed History with a Modern Language, ASNC, MML (a great combination) or indeed most of our arts and humanities courses. You'd have to ask other RG universities about their stance. If you think there's a chance you might be interested in History and Politics at Cambridge (over History), then Politics might be a better option, but it isn't essential. H

Remember All candidates are considered individually on a case-by-case basis and their entire application is read through in detail several times by several people before any decision is made.

Thank you :smile:

BTW - is this you?

How much of the "facilitating subjects" stuff is actually true? I thought that it was disproven that a lot of RG unis wanted only/mostly facilitating subjects, or something of the sort.
Thanks

Honestly the 'RG' name has lost all value, you would be much better off trying to get into a top 5 uni that would make more sense than trying to get into a RG uni. For example look at the targeted unis (in general) oxbridge, warwick, bath, ucl, bristol etc.. from High Flyers then you would notice that St andrews and bath are in the top 10 while most of the RG are much lower down. There are 24 unis in the RG but only about 10-12 are actively targeted by employers.
Reply 13
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
How much of the "facilitating subjects" stuff is actually true? I thought that it was disproven that a lot of RG unis wanted only/mostly facilitating subjects, or something of the sort.

"Facilitating" just means they are the most commonly required or preferred subjects for most courses. They, literally, facilitate those courses. It doesn't mean "hard" or "respected", or whatever.

But subjects still need to be relevant to a specific course, so for example, having three humanities facilitating subjects will not help you if you are applying for sciences. (Although in some cases 3 sciences can be ok for humanities courses - eg Law at some universities.)

The best thing is to check specific course entry requirements before chosing your A-levels, but the problem is if you are in Y11 you might not yet have any clue about what you want to study at university (or even if you really want to go to university at all). In which case picking 1 or 2 facilitating subjects that you will enjoy should help keep options open later.
(edited 6 years ago)
Let's ask shall we:

In a single thread you've just demonstrated why you are my favourite TSR member.

Boom.
Reply 15
You should be fine. I had offers from Manchester, Warwick, QMUL and Queen's with 2 facilitating subjects
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
In a single thread you've just demonstrated why you are my favourite TSR member.

Boom.

:hat2:
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

Yes, those subjects could certainly support a successful application to Law or History or indeed History with a Modern Language, ASNC, MML (a great combination) or indeed most of our arts and humanities courses. You'd have to ask other RG universities about their stance. If you think there's a chance you might be interested in History and Politics at Cambridge (over History), then Politics might be a better option, but it isn't essential. H

Hola Peterhouse!
We agree. Course requirements for Jurisprudence at Oxford are here:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence?wssl=1
French would actually be highly advantageous for Law with Law Studies in Europe (the year abroad version of the course)
Reply 18

Thanks to Peterhouse and Brasenose I think you deserve this...

:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:
You don't need facilitating subjects to get offers from Russell Group universities. I imagine Oxbridge might be more picky, and some very competitive courses might be, but in general they just want you to get good grades. Do what you would enjoy more! As long as you've got the subjects the uni course requires then you're good to go

Quick Reply

Latest