Original post by Meany Pie
Have you got a coherent argument?

:facepalm2:
>complain about abortion
>complain about free birth control
>complain about having to wear a condom
>complain about not getting laid
>complain about single mothers

Men will complain in literally every scenario.
legalise abortion, drugs etc everywhere x
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
>complain about abortion

Woh, don't tar us all with the self righteous conservative brush! 😜

And I miss the word literally having any meaning.
Original post by the bear
you could just as well say that abstinence from shoplifting is unrealistic. it is something that kids will do anyway, so the schools should teach them how to shoplift safely.

Shop lifting and drug use are not the same. Making reference to the fact shop lifting is unacceptable has no bearing on the morality of drug dependence.

Try tackling the actual debate rather than making a false equivalence.
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
>complain about abortion

No I want gear legalized, women are always banging on about their body in abortion arguments but most people are opposed to the idea of legalizing coke so I can pop in the chemist to get some!
Original post by alienvoid
legalise abortion, drugs etc everywhere x

Ye women can kill as many kids as they want if I can go buy cheap coke. **** it :biggrin:
Original post by Conservationofmass
Ye women can kill as many kids as they want if I can go buy cheap coke. **** it :biggrin:

I can understand why a person that believes an embryo is a child gets so incensed about abortion. Everyone would be on the same page as you if we were talking about the murder of actual babies.

So why not just create or join a debate on that topic rather than trying to come at the issue sideways with a fairly transparent attempt to obscure the real point you want to make?

abortion is not murder because the foetus is not alive, not a human, and certainly not an individual. abortion is a right, not an evil act. and in the vast majority of cases it is not the woman's choice to get an abortion, it is necessary because they might not be healthy enough to give birth and survive (would you rather them die in childbirth?), or she has been pregnant not out of her own choice (rape, accidental conception etc). no matter what it says in the bible, no matter what someone once told you, abortion is a women's right, and women's rights are human rights, and that is an objective fact. google it.
additionally drugs are not necessarily good or bad, it depends on how you use them (whether you take too much, do something excessively dangerous etc). regardless of their effect they should be legal because it would encourage regulation and safety, so that not as many people die from taking something dodgy because it hasnt been checked for safety or might be contaminated to make black market production cheaper. drug addiction should be seen as a health issue, not a crime. if it was not a crime people would not be afraid to seek help over it, whereas because it is a crime people suffer in silence in fear or arrest, rather than getting the help they need. education about usage in schools would also help.
:smile:
abortion is not murder because the foetus is not alive, not a human, and certainly not an individual. abortion is a right, not an evil act. and in the vast majority of cases it is not the woman's choice to get an abortion, it is necessary because they might not be healthy enough to give birth and survive (would you rather them die in childbirth?), or she has been pregnant not out of her own choice (rape, accidental conception etc). no matter what it says in the bible, no matter what someone once told you, abortion is a women's right, and women's rights are human rights, and that is an objective fact. google it.
additionally drugs are not necessarily good or bad, it depends on how you use them (whether you take too much, do something excessively dangerous etc). regardless of their effect they should be legal because it would encourage regulation and safety, so that not as many people die from taking something dodgy because it hasnt been checked for safety or might be contaminated to make black market production cheaper. drug addiction should be seen as a health issue, not a crime. if it was not a crime people would not be afraid to seek help over it, whereas because it is a crime people suffer in silence in fear or arrest, rather than getting the help they need. education about usage in schools would also help.
:smile:

It's alive and it would grow into what you consider a human, it's a human, up to 24 weeks remember, in other countries no limit.
It's alive and it would grow into what you consider a human, it's a human, up to 24 weeks remember, in other countries no limit.

It's a very contentious issue.

I wouldn't try to argue that an embryo isn't alive. It contains a complete set of human DNA and is capable of growing. It's very much alive.

My rationale for not considering it as fully human life and being comfortable with abortion up to a certain stage in pregnancy is that in the undeveloped state there are none of the traits and characteristics present that set humans apart from any other simple cellular based life. There isn't the complex nervous system that is integral to conscious thought.

For me as an atheist without the belief in a soul or spirit, until there are complex neurological systems in place I can't have the same compassion and empathy towards a developing embryo that I would a developed child.

Now I don't know what stage of development I am comfortable until and it's hard to really draw that line in the sand. There is definitely a point at which I would switch to your side that it's human life and shouldn't be aborted.

The 24 weeks point that we have in this country leaves me uncomfortable, I have a niece that was born at 23 1/2 weeks who is now a beautiful 12-year-old. If she hadn't cried when she was born they wouldn't have ventilated her and she could still have been legally aborted up until several days after she was born had the pregnancy been normal. I'm very much on your side at that late stage of pregnancy.

But within the first few weeks where we are talking about a simple collection of cells replicating, I don't view that as sentient, conscious, human life.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
It's a very contentious issue.

I wouldn't try to argue that an embryo isn't alive. It contains a complete set of human DNA and is capable of growing. It's very much alive.

My rationale for not considering it as fully human life and being comfortable with abortion up to a certain stage in pregnancy is that in the undeveloped state there are none of the traits and characteristics present that set humans apart from any other simple cellular based life. There isn't the complex nervous system that is integral to conscious thought.

For me as an atheist without the belief in a soul or spirit, until there are complex neurological systems in place I can't have the same compassion and empathy towards a developing embryo that I would a developed child.

Now I don't know what stage of development I am comfortable until and it's hard to really draw that line in the sand. There is definitely a point at which I would switch to your side that it's human life and shouldn't be aborted.

The 24 weeks point that we have in this country leaves me uncomfortable, I have a niece that was born at 23 1/2 weeks who is now a beautiful 12-year-old. If she hadn't cried when she was born they wouldn't have ventilated her and she could still have been legally aborted up until several days after she was born had the pregnancy been normal. I'm very much on your side at that late stage of pregnancy.

But within the first few weeks where we are talking about a simple collection of cells replicating, I don't view that as sentient, conscious, human life.

Well destroying my body or nose is no where near as bad, it's my choice, the baby has no choice. And babies are innocent. Humans are ***** anyway, so why should some whore be able to kill kids but then general society is up in arms against coke sniffers ?
Well destroying my body or nose is no where near as bad, it's my choice, the baby has no choice. And babies are innocent. Humans are ***** anyway, so why should some whore be able to kill kids but then general society is up in arms against coke sniffers ?

I agreed from the very first response I made you should legally be able to put cocaine up your nose. I'd strongly advise against it though given how riled up on the issue you are. Cocaine is the last ingredient you want in the mix. Cannabis would probably be a wiser move.

And I agree that beyond a certain point of fetal development that I'm not clinically qualified enough to decide that in my mind it does become wrong and akin to killing a baby. I don't know what that point is, and possibly due to a bias I have because of my niece I don't think it should be as late as 24 weeks. Is your position that it's wrong at any point? Even the 'morning after' pill?

I think you will probably find that people who are conservative enough to be "up in arms" about drug use are likely in a similar position to you on abortion.

it is not alive because for an organism to be alive it needs to carry out the 7 basic life processes by itself unless these are inhibited later in life e.g if you can't grow for whatever reason. a foetus is not alive until it reaches a specific point which is in fact only a few weeks before birth (i.e the age at which it could survive if born as a premature baby). and by that point if you were going to get an abortion you would have done already, nobody waits until the weeks before giving birth and then decides to abort it. in which case they are probably living somewhere with little access to abortion medicine, even more reason why it should be legal, free and available; so if a woman wants an abortion she can get it as soon as possible. a woman needing an abortion is in a desperate situation and would probably not appreciate sexists on the internet debating her reproductive rights to satisfy their warped morality.
legalise abortion and make it free and acceptable everywhere. it is a human right.
Original post by 999tigger
It is your body, but drugs end up having effects on society at large including addictions, costs to NHS, crime rates etc. Those arent wanted.
Get yourself elected and change the law.

Abortion and it's subsequent effects are free for the NHS to treat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is not alive because for an organism to be alive it needs to carry out the 7 basic life processes by itself unless these are inhibited later in life e.g if you can't grow for whatever reason. a foetus is not alive until it reaches a specific point which is in fact only a few weeks before birth (i.e the age at which it could survive if born as a premature baby). and by that point if you were going to get an abortion you would have done already, nobody waits until the weeks before giving birth and then decides to abort it. in which case they are probably living somewhere with little access to abortion medicine, even more reason why it should be legal, free and available; so if a woman wants an abortion she can get it as soon as possible. a woman needing an abortion is in a desperate situation and would probably not appreciate sexists on the internet debating her reproductive rights to satisfy their warped morality.
legalise abortion and make it free and acceptable everywhere. it is a human right.

It's a baby. End off. Think of all them children being denied a right to a life.
Also, my argument mainly being, If I am somehow immoral or shouldn't be legally allowed to buy drugs, why should a woman be able to kill a child but it's somehow unacceptable for me to do drugs. The crux of the argument is, if it's my body, then I should be entitled to do whatever I want with it, if a woman can kill her kid.
It's a baby. End off. Think of all them children being denied a right to a life.
Also, my argument mainly being, If I am somehow immoral or shouldn't be legally allowed to buy drugs, why should a woman be able to kill a child but it's somehow unacceptable for me to do drugs. The crux of the argument is, if it's my body, then I should be entitled to do whatever I want with it, if a woman can kill her kid.

If it was 'end of' as you put it people wouldn't be discussing it here and abortion wouldn't be legal. It's very much not the end of it making the claim that it's a baby and that's it's the same as killing a baby.

You haven't yet made a rational argument for why a fetus should be considered human life the same as a child during the early stage of development.

And several people have agreed you should be able if you were an adult who could be deemed sound of mind to do what you want to your own body. They just don't agree with you calling calling abortion 'baby killing'.

it is not a baby. it is a partly formed organism that does not think, move or have an identity/name/personality/anything that makes it human.
if your point is about bodily autonomy then you would respect bodily autonomy in all circumstances, and that means abortion AND drugs. disagree with abortion all you like (even though you're clearly incredibly uneducated on the topic) but in support of bodily autonomy, respect that it needs to remain legal. human rights and autonomy are more important than personal 'morals' (you clearly have morals regarding a half-formed foetus but not regarding the woman suffering with it).
you have a right to have an opinion but don't put it in the way of others' rights. especially if you're in defence of the bodily autonomy to take drugs. drugs and abortion should both be legal as i already said, as should all expressions of personal freedom, health, and choice.
please educate yourself further on this from a scientific, not moral perspective.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
If it was 'end of' as you put it people wouldn't be discussing it here and abortion wouldn't be legal. It's very much not the end of it making the claim that it's a baby and that's it's the same as killing a baby.

You haven't yet made a rational argument for why a fetus should be considered human life the same as a child during the early stage of development.

And several people have agreed you should be able if you were an adult who could be deemed sound of mind to do what you want to your own body. They just don't agree with you calling calling abortion 'baby killing'.

thank you!
it is not a baby. it is a partly formed organism that does not think, move or have an identity/name/personality/anything that makes it human.
if your point is about bodily autonomy then you would respect bodily autonomy in all circumstances, and that means abortion AND drugs. disagree with abortion all you like (even though you're clearly incredibly uneducated on the topic) but in support of bodily autonomy, respect that it needs to remain legal. human rights and autonomy are more important than personal 'morals' (you clearly have morals regarding a half-formed foetus but not regarding the woman suffering with it).
you have a right to have an opinion but don't put it in the way of others' rights. especially if you're in defence of the bodily autonomy to take drugs. drugs and abortion should both be legal as i already said, as should all expressions of personal freedom, health, and choice.
please educate yourself further on this from a scientific, not moral perspective.

When you say it's not a baby what sort of foetus are you talking about here? One at two weeks gestation or one at 32 weeks gestation? I'd be inclined to agree with you if it's the former maybe not so much if it's the latter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending