roles of a cantor
Mirele
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TCHIMA)
roles of a cantor
The roles of hazn/cantor vary and have varied. Their general role is to guide and lead musical worship - singing prayers, religious songs etc. Their role is also of a role model : they are to dress well, sing well, have good Torah and prayer knowledge, lead exemplary lives and be popular or liked.

Their primary purpose is musical. They sing and in some synagogues with choirs they lead the choir. They decide musical arrangements for events etc too. Due to their religious knowledge and standing they also usually take on other roles, for example they might lead music, song or prayer groups with the children, in some liberal synagogues might have a choir, and may also be certified to work as a mohel, inspector or even provide counselling and support. As a known figure in the religious community they can serve as both a communal (and musical) source of strength and support but can also serve on a smaller or individual scale, assisting families through marriage, birth and funerals and through helping teach and encourage children to participate in cultural and religious traditions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.43%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
54.89%
No (73)
39.67%

Watched Threads