The Student Room Group

Ligands

Hi guys I've been adding ligands of different concentrations to different transition metal ions, forming transition metal complexes. I've then measured the absorbance of these solutions and plot them against concentration. I've ended up with positive linear correlations for the majority of the complexes. Could anyone please try and explain why this is please. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Greater concentration of transition metal complexes= greater absorbance of light?
Reply 2
Original post by Munts
Hi guys I've been adding ligands of different concentrations to different transition metal ions, forming transition metal complexes. I've then measured the absorbance of these solutions and plot them against concentration. I've ended up with positive linear correlations for the majority of the complexes. Could anyone please try and explain why this is please. Any help is greatly appreciated!

What filter did you use?
Reply 3
I used different filters depending on the colour of the complex produced. For example with Copper (II) thiocyanate, the solution was green and so i used the filter blue as the solutions were too saturated for red light.
Reply 4
Original post by Munts
I used different filters depending on the colour of the complex produced. For example with Copper (II) thiocyanate, the solution was green and so i used the filter blue as the solutions were too saturated for red light.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxGiqaBEPs

Quick Reply

Latest