The Student Room Group

Chances of giving someone genital warts?

Hi,

I'm bisexual and for years I've had partners who have been mostly men. Currently, I'm with a female who has not had much sexual experience and I'm probably going to go into a monogamous relationship with her.

I'm STD free but I did have a case of genital warts about 5 years ago. It was a very gross experience but I had them 'frozen' off and I haven't had them since.

I have a few Qs:

1) What are the chances of me giving this STD to my female partner? (I'm assuming she doesn't have it)
2) I'm assuming she had the HPV vaccine when she a kid? So, she's vaccinated from warts?
3) Isn't there a vaccine that I can, Gardasil 9 on the NHS to protect her?

Thanks everyone! F'in warts, eh!
Original post by Anonymous
1) What are the chances of me giving this STD to my female partner? (I'm assuming she doesn't have it)

Something to ask a sexual health clinic, but your immune system should have cleared your HPV infection by now.

2) I'm assuming she had the HPV vaccine when she a kid? So, she's vaccinated from warts?

Ask her.

Depending on when she had it, if she did, she would be protected against two or four strains of HPV depending on the vaccine. The pair covered by both are linked to the majority of cervical cancer. Gardasil also does the pair most linked to genital warts, but has only been used as part of the mass vaccination programme since 2012, so anyone who was vaccinated between 2008 and 2012 would have had the 'help protect against cervical cancer only' one.

3) Isn't there a vaccine that I can, Gardasil 9 on the NHS to protect her?

That one's newer and I'm not aware of any benefit as far as genital warts go. It may not be available easily on the NHS either.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Something to ask a sexual health clinic, but your immune system should have cleared your HPV infection by now.

Ask her.

Depending on when she had it, if she did, she would be protected against two or four strains of HPV depending on the vaccine. The pair covered by both are linked to the majority of cervical cancer. Gardasil also does the pair most linked to genital warts, but has only been used as part of the mass vaccination programme since 2012, so anyone who was vaccinated between 2008 and 2012 would have had the 'help protect against cervical cancer only' one.

That one's newer and I'm not aware of any benefit as far as genital warts go. It may not be available easily on the NHS either.

Thanks for your advice. Is there a HPV test for men by any chance?
Thanks for your advice. Is there a HPV test for men by any chance?

No, only women. There is a link between HPV and cervical cancer in women, there is no known significant risk in men with HPV hence no vaccine is available. You should be in the clear considering that most HPV strains clear themselves within two years and that your warts were removed (warts are more of an eye sore than anything). Should be gtg.
Reply 4
How old is she? I think Gardasil was only introduced in 2012, so I think girls who are currently 18-19 maybe have had that particular vaccine. You should consider being upfront about it though, while it is stated in research/medical websites that if you've had no wart recurrence for around 18-24 months your body should have "cleared" it. I believe there is still a possibility to give it to someone, though it's very unlikely and chances are small.
Reply 5
Original post by Anon255
How old is she? I think Gardasil was only introduced in 2012, so I think girls who are currently 18-19 maybe have had that particular vaccine. You should consider being upfront about it though, while it is stated in research/medical websites that if you've had no wart recurrence for around 18-24 months your body should have "cleared" it. I believe there is still a possibility to give it to someone, though it's very unlikely and chances are small.

Thank you so much! It's definitely been over 24 months. I've made an appointment to my local STD-clinic but NHS cuts means I won't been seen for a week or two. I've noticed a small growth on my inner thigh (adjacent to my ball sack haha), but I'm almost sure that's a skin tag rather than a wart, just feeling a bit anxious all of a sudden :redface:.
No, only women. There is a link between HPV and cervical cancer in women, there is no known significant risk in men with HPV hence no vaccine is available.

Erm, no and no.
normally my advice to a medical question is: "if in doubt, see the doctor"
Reply 8
Original post by unprinted
Erm, no and no.

I've noticed you replying to various threads here, specifically HPV threads as those are the ones I've mainly read. Just wondering if you have any idea on what age girls who have had the Gardasil vaccine would be now?

I kinda guessed 18-19 in my previous post due to a girl who is 19 telling me she had the Gardasil vaccine in high school (UK), but any idea anyway?
Not being eligible for at least two reasons, I'm not sure, but I think you're right.

Quick Reply

Latest