Can't put weight on :(

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I eat so much in a day. I mean like o have 4 big meals with snacks in between but I'm still underweight. I think I might have an overactive thyroid. I have a blood test tomorrow so that'll confirm that I do. I'm scared guys I think I have it because I have most of the symptoms. Any words of encouragements ?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I eat so much in a day. I mean like o have 4 big meals with snacks in between but I'm still underweight. I think I might have an overactive thyroid. I have a blood test tomorrow so that'll confirm that I do. I'm scared guys I think I have it because I have most of the symptoms. Any words of encouragements ?
I know it can be a really scary thing knowing you might have a health condition, but remember if you do have it, you're already living with it. You're not suddenly going to change after finding out.
So really only positives can come from this. If you do find out it's an overactive thyroid issue you can find out how to manage it and how to improve your weight etc.

You'll probably hear people (including me) moaning a fair amount about how difficult the condition is, but that's from the condition not the treatment. You're finding out now if it's what you have which means you'll start treatment soon after if you do. Once you're on treatment you're unlikely to feel worse at any point so this is a good thing.
(Thyroid conditions can be something that change over time, but you will have your levels tested on a regular basis so it's caught early and shouldn't give you much bother.)

And most of the time thyroid issues are a pretty simple fix- tablets. It's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but you get used to it. I have to take like 7 tablets each day in morning and night for various things, but it's routine now so it's not much of a bother. And I used to be terrible at taking tablets too- couldn't even take a tiny little antihistamine tablet! Now I can take all the ones I need in one go. So yeah, you get used to it.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your blood test and feel free to pop into the thyroid forum anytime. We won't bite!
tamil fever
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
same.I can't seem to gain weight and when someone calls me skinny am like "wtf am I supposed to do?"
flabi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sorry that you're going through this, but diagnosing a condition is only ever a positive thing because it can then be treated appropriately.

Funnily enough, I also have a blood test tomorrow, so when that happens I'll be sending you positive thoughts!

As for putting on weight, milkshakes can be a really big help; make them yourself and dump loads of ice cream and cream in them
Sweetpeasw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
omg i'm the same... I eat like a horse but my weight hasn't changed in like 4 years, and I get ppl asking if i'm annorexic guess its just high metabolism
Abbiejadex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some people do naturally find it hard to put weight on I know people who eat so much but still struggle. Good luck for your blood test and if it is not a medical condition Im sure the doctor could offer some advice. Maybe try drinking high calorie smoothies with peanut butter etc and squats/weights to build muscle. Good luck at least youll be a step closer to finding out tomorrow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.51%
I'm not sure (26)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.26%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (276)
47.67%

Watched Threads