The Student Room Group

Hospital: Mental health. BBC2 now!

Anyone else watching? How do you think they're portraying it- is it an accurate representation of mental health care, and is it interesting seeing it from the other side?

Warning: discussion and occasional images of self harm and suicide
(edited 6 years ago)
I'll watch this on iplayer, sounds interestin :holmes:
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I'll watch this on iplayer, sounds interestin :holmes:

It's well done :smile: I've seen better but seen a lot worse. Focussing mostly on dementia at the moment as there's more family involvement I think but still shows it well. And just how bad the whole situation is really
I watched it and honestly, it breaks my heart that people who desperately need benefits are getting them cut or taken away and have to resort to suicide/SH in order to ~prove~ to others how they can't cope without it :frown:
Original post by bones-mccoy
I watched it and honestly, it breaks my heart that people who desperately need benefits are getting them cut or taken away and have to resort to suicide/SH in order to ~prove~ to others how they can't cope without it :frown:

This, so much. And the families and lack of social care too. I don't know how the benefits system could be improved for knowing people need it but it has to, it's literally killing people. And social care it's just funding and places.. there really needs to be investment in that and mental health, that surely has to be the priority at this point imo.
I am watching this now.Looks really interesting.Will give you my full opinion when I am done.
Fully watched it.It is even sadder than the cancer episode:frown:.
It is frustrating almost every government makes some pledge on mental health,but actions speak louder than words.Its ridiculous the number of beds for psychiatric patients has been reduced:mad::angry:.
There is also the problem of stretched social services,and we can clearly see the impact of that in this episode.The vascular dementia guy should never have been in the hospital.
I like how they did not edit out the self harm marks,it is pretty horrific but I would prefer to see it unedited,so I can truly see what these healthcare professionals see:yes:.
It is damning people are self harming to get the attention of social services due to the desperation of their situation.
I felt sad watching the Carl case ,dementia is pretty complicated,and we still know so little about it.One can not help but wonder if the doctor felt helpless in the situation.

I can only imagine as the population ages,and we get more dementia cases,the toll it will take on the economy and number of carers we will need.Given how already stretched and under resourced the social care in this country is and with Brexit going to have an affect as well,we could be reaching breaking point.
I have seen other documentaries on mental health that I feel shows more about the innings of a mental health hospital and I do feel they focused heavily on Dementia.
I don't think Dementia is regarded as a mental illness but rather a neurodegenerative disease,so a physical illness.We did not see any of the classic Schizophrenia,Bipolar Disorder,anxiety disorders,eating disorders,etc. you normally would expect to see.
But I like the fact everything shown was raw and not blocked out as it would in other programmes,really does show how life is for someone working in such an environment,so great documentary overall.
Original post by bobby147
I have seen other documentaries on mental health that I feel shows more about the innings of a mental health hospital and I do feel they focused heavily on Dementia.
I don't think Dementia is regarded as a mental illness but rather a neurodegenerative disease,so a physical illness.We did not see any of the classic Schizophrenia,Bipolar Disorder,anxiety disorders,eating disorders,etc. you normally would expect to see.
But I like the fact everything shown was raw and not blocked out as it would in other programmes,really does show how life is for someone working in such an environment,so great documentary overall.

didnt see this programme and dont want to, feel miserable enough anyway but i agree about the dementia thing
never thought of dementia as a mental illness tbh, idk why it just seems more physical and people dont tend to go around telling people that their dementia doesnt exist
doesnt really matter either way as long as people are being treated but still an interesting thought
Original post by bobby147
Fully watched it.It is even sadder than the cancer episode:frown:.
It is frustrating almost every government makes some pledge on mental health,but actions speak louder than words.Its ridiculous the number of beds for psychiatric patients has been reduced:mad::angry:.
There is also the problem of stretched social services,and we can clearly see the impact of that in this episode.The vascular dementia guy should never have been in the hospital.
I like how they did not edit out the self harm marks,it is pretty horrific but I would prefer to see it unedited,so I can truly see what these healthcare professionals see:yes:.
It is damning people are self harming to get the attention of social services due to the desperation of their situation.
I felt sad watching the Carl case ,dementia is pretty complicated,and we still know so little about it.One can not help but wonder if the doctor felt helpless in the situation.

I can only imagine as the population ages,and we get more dementia cases,the toll it will take on the economy and number of carers we will need.Given how already stretched and under resourced the social care in this country is and with Brexit going to have an affect as well,we could be reaching breaking point.

Such a late reply sorry but agree with all of this. Both mental health and social services are in crisis and the effects are catastrophic, on both the people in need and everyone around them. Something really needs to be done and quickly- I know the money's not really there but it's only going to get worse as you say. I love the NHS, I've grown up seeing both sides of it and may well end up working in it but the huge pressure it's under from politics and all sorts of other factors is starting to show.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest