What's the lowest possible BMI you could have and still survive?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
AdriannaJ135
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Mine is currently 13.6/7
I weigh 77 pound and am 5'3
I am 15
owlet18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is quite a worrying question to be asking. You should seek help if you're at a life threatening BMI. What age are you?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There really isn't an answer to that. You could die tomorrow with your current BMI and there's no way to tell what your body will survive. Do you have a medical team? You really need some help.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AdriannaJ135)
Mine is currently 13.8
I think you've possibly calculated that wrongly...
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is currently 13.8
In terms of absolute poverty, below 16 is considered being deprived of food. Just consider that for a minute.

BMI is a rubbish measurement anyway - it drastically inflates the score of big, strong athletes (put in the numbers for an Olympian and chances are they'll come out as overweight because the formula doesn't allow for muscle mass) and can underestimate the score of a short, old person. Body fat % is probably a better measurement. But 13.8 isn't normal by any means, unless you're a very small child. Healthy for a young adult is usually considered 18-25.

Please double-check your calculations because if your BMI is indeed 13.8, you need to call your GP immediately. Your life could be in danger, and only a qualified doctor will be in a position to determine the best course of action.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cbreef)
You're 15 years old. It's not that bad. You're not going to drop dead anytime soon.
I'm not too sure of that. If I had a BMI of 13.8, I'd be about 41kg (my height is convieniently close to sqrt(3) metres). I couldn't possibly imagine weighing that little - I think I'd be too weak to walk.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're 15 years old. It's not that bad. You're not going to drop dead anytime soon.
I'm gonna assume from OPs question and BMI that they probably have an eating disorder. So telling them it's 'not that bad' is really not good advice... someone once told me I could probably 'live to 80' with my BMI after I voiced concerns. I promptly dropped another 15lbs.

(Original post by Reality Check)
I think you've possibly calculated that wrongly...
See above. Pretty sure OP have an eating disorder.
Bananas20012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
mines currently 13.9 i have ana though. im in recovery though and tbh i think other people look best with a bmi of 18-19
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is currently 13.8
Moved to Health
lulno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
BMI is a rubbish measurement anyway
No it's not it just requires you to also have a little common sense when you use it.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is currently 13.8

You must look like a walking Skeleton

go visit your GP ASAP and get yourself checked in somewhere where they can help you get better and provide round the clock support.

seriously, it sounds like you are on deaths door.......
cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
I'm gonna assume from OPs question and BMI that they probably have an eating disorder. So telling them it's 'not that bad' is really not good advice... someone once told me I could probably 'live to 80' with my BMI after I voiced concerns. I promptly dropped another 15lbs.

See above. Pretty sure OP have an eating disorder.
(Original post by ANM775)
You must look like a walking Skeleton

go visit your GP ASAP and get yourself checked in somewhere where they can help you get better and provide round the clock support.

seriously, it sounds like you are on deaths door.......
OP posted a picture previously...
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There shouldn't be essentially proana threads on this site. The title at least needs a trigger warning.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OP posted a picture previously...

thanks, I see it now........

Spoiler:
Show

cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM775)
thanks, I see it now........

Spoiler:
Show

My guess is she's probably overestimating her height or something.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My guess is she's probably overestimating her height or something.
Why? She's wearing clothes in that pic so you can't really tell.
cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Why? She's wearing clothes in that pic so you can't really tell.
You can to a degree.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can to a degree.
Name:  eZthr2w.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  198.7 KB
This is what bmi 14-15 looks like on some people so hers could be correct. It kinda depends on your bone structure, not everyone looks the same at a certain weight
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is currently 13.6/7
I weigh 77 pound and am 5'3
I am 15
Adding your measurements into the NHS BMI checker puts you right at the far end of underweight. BMI is not the most accurate measurement, but a result like that warrants a trip to your GP. They can talk to you about why your weight is so low, what that can mean in terms of your health and how you can improve it.

Short term affects of low weight can include low energy, feeling weak, poor focus, susceptibility to injury and illness, issues with periods (if female obviously), emotional issues, poor sleep, coldness.

How low your BMI can be and you still "survive" is a bit of a tough question. It depends on what you mean by survive. You could live with a very low BMI, but have a very uncomfortable life. You could also die of complications. It all depends on the individual.

Long term health implications of low weight at a young age can include weakened heart, bones and muscles, intestinal damage, mental health problems. Some health issues or complications from low weight could also cause death.

That is not a full list and it's not all a guarantee, but low weight is something that you should be careful about. None of us here are going to be able to give you proper advice since we don't know enough about you and most of us aren't medically trained. Your best option is to go have a chat with your GP and work out what's best for you.

Please also mention if you feel like you may be trying to keep your weight low. Anorexia and other eating disorders can sneak up on you and get a lot worse before you notice. It's best to address any little concerns early so you can stop it turning into a big issue.

There is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about so just go talk to your GP and sort things out. The most important thing is that you are physically and mentally well and the best way to make sure you are healthy and well is to talk to a doctor. Hope that helps. Good luck
Jena83
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Im 6'1 37 female and my weight is 118.5 as of today and I wasnt trying to lose weight .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (18)
13.74%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.66%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.27%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads