Parents with Disabilities - Dissertation Watch

Abbiejadex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am deciding on a topic for my SW dissertation and at the moment I am swaying towards writing about parenthood for those with a disability.

I am starting by trying to get some ideas together around the topic but to help my thought process I was wondering if anybody has any interesting view points/understanding/experience which can help my thought process.

Do parents with disabilities recieve enough support?
Do they have equal opportunities?
Safeguarding/ethical issues?

It is such a big piece of work I am worried I am not thinking about the important issues regarding the topic.

Thanks! X
Branches
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I would start by thinking about the start of parenthood which is pregnancy. There is a lot of negativity around disabled people having kids and some people claim they shouldn't etc. What effect does that have on them? Why do others believe this?
Then there's the actual giving birth in which health professionals sometimes make the instant assumption that they will need a c section - you could question the health issues/benefits.
Then if they get support how do they feel/how does it affect them? Do they feel they are not as good as others because they cannot look after their child alone?
Abbiejadex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply yeah that makes sense and definitely helped my thought process. There is just so much to consider! But I am going to look at conception to intervention and hopefully cover these types of issues throughout thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads