Studying in England: general questions Watch

TessfromAustria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi
I'm Tess, 21 years old and originally from Austria but I study in Germany. I'll be spending a year abroad studying in England from September onwards.
There are still some things I'm curious about..

First question: I am considered a mature student, right? That just feels so weird. I wonder if there are many (non-international) students, who start their first year as a "mature student". Because it surely is like that here in Germany (most people start at 19 or 20, but there are many students at 25, too).

Second question: How was your experience with your flatmates? I've been reading about this a lot on forums lately and I've also been watching some uni vlogs where people's flatmates never talked to them or even stole their food.
I'm a bit scared now. I get along well with my flatmates here at home, we do a lot together. Is that not realistic?

Third question: What would be the maximum of societies you would join? There are so many I am interested in, and I would really like to join 4-5. Is that too much? It probably depends on the kinds of societies though. It's just that my home uni doesn't have anything like it and I love the concept.

Fourth question: Are you generally allowed to play guitar in your rooms? I would love to bring mine..

Finally.. Do you have any advice regarding making friends? I'm still counting on my flatmates to be honest And the societies of course..

Thanks in advance!
Tess
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TessfromAustria)
Hi
I'm Tess, 21 years old and originally from Austria but I study in Germany. I'll be spending a year abroad studying in England from September onwards.
There are still some things I'm curious about..

First question: I am considered a mature student, right? That just feels so weird. I wonder if there are many (non-international) students, who start their first year as a "mature student". Because it surely is like that here in Germany (most people start at 19 or 20, but there are many students at 25, too).

Second question: How was your experience with your flatmates? I've been reading about this a lot on forums lately and I've also been watching some uni vlogs where people's flatmates never talked to them or even stole their food.
I'm a bit scared now. I get along well with my flatmates here at home, we do a lot together. Is that not realistic?

Third question: What would be the maximum of societies you would join? There are so many I am interested in, and I would really like to join 4-5. Is that too much? It probably depends on the kinds of societies though. It's just that my home uni doesn't have anything like it and I love the concept.

Fourth question: Are you generally allowed to play guitar in your rooms? I would love to bring mine..

Finally.. Do you have any advice regarding making friends? I'm still counting on my flatmates to be honest And the societies of course..

Thanks in advance!
Tess
1: No, you will not be considered as a mature student. In the UK, or England, a mature student is someone who starts uni from their first year at the age of 21 or over.

2: I'm not an international or European exchange student; but everyone's experience is different. You don't have to be an exchange student for a flatmate to steal food. It happens to the best of us. Some get amazing flatmates, others get horrible flatmates. It's simply a flip of a coin situation.

3: You've answered your own question. Depends on the society and how you work around societies and your uni life. It's manageable to join 4-5 if you have impeccable time management skills.

4: Flatmates and societies are the two main ways of meeting new people and becoming friends with them. But, also don't forget your coursemates. Just be friendly and just be you and you will find some friends eventually!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads