Orrycatt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and applying for BSc Physiotherapy. I've been invited for an interview at Teesside, and the information they provided included links to the Health Questionnaire I'll need to fill out if they offer me a place.

I'm somewhat concerned, as on this, and other unis' equivalent forms that I've since googled, it states that applicants should provide proof of BCG vaccination (for TB) or make arrangements for/be prepared to get one (usually via the uni in question's health screening appointment).

I'm a little worried about this, because as I'm HIV+ (on medication, undetectable), as far as I'm aware, I shouldn't get live vaccinations. More than being worried about my health, I'm worried that this would prevent me from getting a place on a course.

Does anyone have any advice on whether being unable to get the vaccination would prevent me from studying physiotherapy? Or, if this is a case in which the vaccination is recommended anyway?
username1785849
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most people get these as a child, so ask your GP?

Also, speak with occupational health at the university once you get accepted. They will sort everything out for you and answer your questions (re: studying/vaccinations). You do not need to liaise directly with anyone else and disclose any health information.
physiogradmed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I am immunosuppressed and have just completed my physiotherapy degree. There is currently a global shortage of BCG vaccinations so unless you are at high risk/working in a high risk area, you will not be able to be vaccinated. I have just had my occupational health appointment for my first physio job and they are also unable to provide a BCG vaccination for me. I honestly not worry too much, and avoid patients with drug resistant and pulmonary TB. I, personally, have treated people with occular TB and spinal TB with permission from the infectious diseases team at the hospital I was on placement at. Definitely disclose your health to occupational health and talk to your consultant about whether there is anything you shouldn't do specifically before you go out on your first placement.

Good luck with getting into uni! Try not to worry about the BCG too much
ksully
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Orrycatt)
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and applying for BSc Physiotherapy. I've been invited for an interview at Teesside, and the information they provided included links to the Health Questionnaire I'll need to fill out if they offer me a place.

I'm somewhat concerned, as on this, and other unis' equivalent forms that I've since googled, it states that applicants should provide proof of BCG vaccination (for TB) or make arrangements for/be prepared to get one (usually via the uni in question's health screening appointment).

I'm a little worried about this, because as I'm HIV+ (on medication, undetectable), as far as I'm aware, I shouldn't get live vaccinations. More than being worried about my health, I'm worried that this would prevent me from getting a place on a course.

Does anyone have any advice on whether being unable to get the vaccination would prevent me from studying physiotherapy? Or, if this is a case in which the vaccination is recommended anyway?

Hi, I know this is a really old post. But I was just wondering what happened with your TB vaccine? I have Myasthenia Gravis so I am also immunosupressed and I am applying to study speech and language therapy in September. Were you able to start the course without having the vaccine? Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads