Thinking about self-teaching GCSE Economics... Watch

james02jjk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm currently in Year10 so have just under a year left until I take my GCSEs. I do triple science, maths, further maths, english lit and lang, computing, french, geography and history. At A-Level I plan on doing Maths, Economics, Politics and either French or History. I was considering self teaching myself GCSE economics and paying my school to let me sit the exam. Not only because I want to do it at A-Level and eventually Uni but because it really interests me. Also, it must show Uni's that its a subject I'm passionate about? Anyway, what are your opinions? Can I do it? Would the work load be too much? Has anyone had any experience self teaching economics or any GCSE for that matter? Thanks! Any thoughts and opinions welcome and appreciated.
LeonDH
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it interests you I think you'll find economics fairly straight forward. I did the OCR economics GCSE this summer (what exam board would you be doing it on?) and I think I've done enough to get an A. Not sure how much content you'll have to get through in just one year but you may be okay,

In fact, our A-level choices are identical (assuming you pick History over French) =D
james02jjk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by LeonDH)
If it interests you I think you'll find economics fairly straight forward. I did the OCR economics GCSE this summer (what exam board would you be doing it on?) and I think I've done enough to get an A. Not sure how much content you'll have to get through in just one year but you may be okay,

In fact, our A-level choices are identical (assuming you pick History over French) =D
Not really sure what exam board I'd use yet; The idea of self teaching economics only just really came to me. Would you recommend OCR for economics? What do you want to do at Uni? I'm torn between politics and history and politics and economics.
LeonDH
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hhorse01)
Not really sure what exam board I'd use yet; The idea of self teaching economics only just really came to me. Would you recommend OCR for economics? What do you want to do at Uni? I'm torn between politics and history and politics and economics.
I liked the OCR course - although I am not sure if it is changing or not for next year. I know my economics teacher prefers the AQA one though.

As for uni, I am not sure yet - but something along the politics/history/economics lines. Will do some research into courses over the summer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?