The Student Room Group

Thinking about self-teaching GCSE Economics...

Hi, I'm currently in Year10 so have just under a year left until I take my GCSEs. I do triple science, maths, further maths, english lit and lang, computing, french, geography and history. At A-Level I plan on doing Maths, Economics, Politics and either French or History. I was considering self teaching myself GCSE economics and paying my school to let me sit the exam. Not only because I want to do it at A-Level and eventually Uni but because it really interests me. Also, it must show Uni's that its a subject I'm passionate about? Anyway, what are your opinions? Can I do it? Would the work load be too much? Has anyone had any experience self teaching economics or any GCSE for that matter? Thanks! Any thoughts and opinions welcome and appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
If it interests you I think you'll find economics fairly straight forward. I did the OCR economics GCSE this summer (what exam board would you be doing it on?) and I think I've done enough to get an A. Not sure how much content you'll have to get through in just one year but you may be okay,

In fact, our A-level choices are identical (assuming you pick History over French) =D
Reply 2
Original post by LeonDH
If it interests you I think you'll find economics fairly straight forward. I did the OCR economics GCSE this summer (what exam board would you be doing it on?) and I think I've done enough to get an A. Not sure how much content you'll have to get through in just one year but you may be okay,

In fact, our A-level choices are identical (assuming you pick History over French) =D

Not really sure what exam board I'd use yet; The idea of self teaching economics only just really came to me. Would you recommend OCR for economics? What do you want to do at Uni? I'm torn between politics and history and politics and economics.
Reply 3
Original post by hhorse01
Not really sure what exam board I'd use yet; The idea of self teaching economics only just really came to me. Would you recommend OCR for economics? What do you want to do at Uni? I'm torn between politics and history and politics and economics.

I liked the OCR course - although I am not sure if it is changing or not for next year. I know my economics teacher prefers the AQA one though.

As for uni, I am not sure yet - but something along the politics/history/economics lines. Will do some research into courses over the summer.

Quick Reply