The Student Room Group

Boyfriend SERIOUSLY upset me on my 21st birthday :(

I've been with him for 5 years, and I have returned from studying abroad this semester, since I've returned he has been quite off with me and argumentative. I thought we had sorted this out, and I assumed it was because of the strain of the distance on our relationship.

Anyway, he came to my 21st birthday meal (nice, posh restaurant) with my family and we got on fine. His parents bought me a nice gift, and all was well. Then, when he gave me mine, he had just got me a card (with the wrong age on it, 18, not 21), a cheap bottle of wine and some flowers. He works part time, so money isn't an issue for him but I cannot help but feel like he has been really stingy and thoughtless with these gifts, especially the card.

All night, I have been upset and cried a few times. I feel really unappreciated. I haven't spoken to him since the meal and my family are also disappointed in his behaviour.

I'm just not sure what to do next.. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

boiiiii.
He sounds like a piece of work. Do you think he has something going on his life that's making him behave like a right tit?
Reply 2
He crashed his car a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure if this has affected him badly, however this wasn't my fault. I'm really not sure what to do about this..
Reply 3
He came to my house a few hours later, when he saw I was fuming, with the correct aged card, however my dad told him that I did not want to see him.
have you confronted him about it? I suggest talking to him about what might be bugging him.
Reply 5
I honestly cannot be bothered to speak to him right now as I am so angry. He has been trying to message me all night but I have ignored him.
Okay. Maybe talk to him after you've calmed down?
This is some Shaun of the Dead **** right here :rofl:
Reply 8
I'm not sure if I want to be with him if he would do something like this to me. It wasn't the gifts so much but it was just the thoughtlessness.
Reply 9
Original post by somemightsay888
This is some Shaun of the Dead **** right here :rofl:

It's not funny..It was really hurtful
Someone please help me :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
He crashed his car a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure if this has affected him badly, however this wasn't my fault. I'm really not sure what to do about this..

I mean **** if his a petrol head like me his world is upside down right now ;( but if his just a normal driver and he wasn't hurt then that accident shouldn't effect him
Original post by stack__
I mean **** if his a petrol head like me his world is upside down right now ;( but if his just a normal driver and he wasn't hurt then that accident shouldn't effect him

His car is okay now though, it was his fault for crashing it by going into the car in front of him.
His car is okay now though, it was his fault for crashing it by going into the car in front of him.

Then it's not that I would only do something that he done if my gf pissed me off or something happened in my life that I just don't care about anything in that moment or if I want to break up with her but don't know how to so ...
I'm not sure if I want to be with him if he would do something like this to me. It wasn't the gifts so much but it was just the thoughtlessness.

Someone please help me :frown:

In all honesty, you're certainly over reacting and coming across as a little b*tchy. I find it a little hard to believe you've been together for five years if you're questioning whether you should be with him over a few gifts.
Then it's not that I would only do something that he done if my gf pissed me off or something happened in my life that I just don't care about anything in that moment or if I want to break up with her but don't know how to so ...

But, he shouldn't have came to my meal if he wants to end it. We went shopping at the weekend and got on fine too. It's not so much the gifts though, to get me the wrong age card was just really hurtful.
In all honesty, you're certainly over reacting and coming across as a little b*tchy. I find it a little hard to believe you've been together for five years if you're questioning whether you should be with him over a few gifts.

But, he literally bought the gifts straight before my meal from Asda and no thought was put into them. He didn't even get me the correct aged card and thought it was funny. He probably spent £10 on me, if that..
Maybe he wanted to be like "oh you're 21? But you look so young!". You know, in that way that women like to be told how they don't look their age?
Original post by Sabertooth
Maybe he wanted to be like "oh you're 21? But you look so young!". You know, in that way that women like to be told how they don't look their age?

No, he even said that he didn't check the card correctly and just picked any.
But, he literally bought the gifts straight before my meal from Asda and no thought was put into them. He didn't even get me the correct aged card and thought it was funny. He probably spent £10 on me, if that..

Yeah, thanks for reinforcing my point: I'd run for the bushes if you were my girlfriend.

I could have sympathised with you if you didn't have to take it so immaturely: a small civilised conversation with him about you feel hurt v/s running away, fuming, getting your dad to throw him out of the house when he came to (presumably) apologise and bring a better card, question whether you want to be with him, after (supposedly) five years of being with him, then make a whiny thread on TSR about it.

Latest