The Student Room Group

SFE

Hi guys
I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue. I applied for sfe last year (year 2016/17), I applied for maximum amount of maintenance loan as my mum is single & is the only income in our household with 3 university students. Mine & my brother's entitlement was miscalculated, sfe believed my mum to be not be single therefore our entitlement was lower than what we expected. We asked to be reassessed & they asked us to send in evidence of my mum's single parent council tax discount letter or a letter of declaration from solicitors to say my mum was single & never married, we tried to get that sorted but the council had us going around in circles. In the end we paid for a socilitor to help us with getting a letter of declaration and sent it to SFE.

Now I'm wondering how long it will take them to process this 'new' evidence at this time of the year and also if we will get any backdated payments?
Also we are just wanting this sorted before we do our applications for 2017/18 as we don't want the same thing to happen again. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by TashaT20
Hi guys
I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue. I applied for sfe last year (year 2016/17), I applied for maximum amount of maintenance loan as my mum is single & is the only income in our household with 3 university students. Mine & my brother's entitlement was miscalculated, sfe believed my mum to be not be single therefore our entitlement was lower than what we expected. We asked to be reassessed & they asked us to send in evidence of my mum's single parent council tax discount letter or a letter of declaration from solicitors to say my mum was single & never married, we tried to get that sorted but the council had us going around in circles. In the end we paid for a socilitor to help us with getting a letter of declaration and sent it to SFE.

Now I'm wondering how long it will take them to process this 'new' evidence at this time of the year and also if we will get any backdated payments?
Also we are just wanting this sorted before we do our applications for 2017/18 as we don't want the same thing to happen again. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi TashaT20,

Currently this type of evidence is taking 18 working days to process from the date it was received. If there are any payments not scheduled or missed due to not having this evidence then they do get backdated once assessed.

You can still apply for 17/18 while this is being processed.

Warm regards.
Reply 2
Original post by Gerard SFE
Hi TashaT20,

Currently this type of evidence is taking 18 working days to process from the date it was received. If there are any payments not scheduled or missed due to not having this evidence then they do get backdated once assessed.

You can still apply for 17/18 while this is being processed.

Warm regards.

Thank you very much for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending