International student looking for some perspectives Watch

Camy Rosen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello! I am a student who plans on studying in the UK for an undergraduate degree. I have no family or friends who study or live in the UK so I am going in blind to this entire experience. I am a very passionate and spirited student and was curious how well that would blend in with the school. I was looking for some perspectives on certain areas of the college life in the UK and at Aberdeen Uni and was curious if anyone could answer or respond to how many they can. Thank you!

Things I'm curious about:
1) School spirit at all types of events
2) Social aspects, such as how well I will make friends especially being an international student
3) Academics and school rankings (maybe what US school is the equivalent)
4) Flexibility to IB scores and acceptances
5) Criminology program
6) The town and night life
Fergarino
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1) 'School spirit' isn't really a thing in Scotland or the UK. It's not like America where the whole uni/college turns out to support the team at games etc. which can be seen as a positive or negative depending on what you like.
2) Aberdeen is one of the most international unis in Scotland with a very large percentage originating outside the country so you shouldn't feel too alienated. Also, us Scots are pretty welcoming so don't worry.
3) There are loads of unis in the UK and quite a few different ranking boards. The Complete Uni Guide puts them at 40/130 overall but varies depending on your subject. Some rankings put them higher and others lower. They're pretty middle of the road, perhaps above average.
4) Not sure, but they're not too strict (with entry requirements) from my own experience.
5)No clue
6) The town may at first look pretty grey, which it is, because of all the granite buildings. However, there's plenty of amenities and a decent beach. Aberdeen is not known for it's good weather though and it can get pretty windy. The Old Town, where the uni is based is actually very pleasant with cobbled streets, old fishing cottages etc. The nightlife is fine. Definitely not as good as Edinburgh or Glasgow but way above everything else in the country. A few clubs, lots of pubs/bars. Expect to drink a lot, if that's your thing as that's like standard at uni.
AsIf...
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know if Aberdeen actually ask for an applicants GPA or could I just hand in my SAT subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    Medicine Only Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Jun '20
  • University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Aug '20
  • University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise