International student looking for some perspectives Watch
Things I'm curious about:
1) School spirit at all types of events
2) Social aspects, such as how well I will make friends especially being an international student
3) Academics and school rankings (maybe what US school is the equivalent)
4) Flexibility to IB scores and acceptances
5) Criminology program
6) The town and night life
2) Aberdeen is one of the most international unis in Scotland with a very large percentage originating outside the country so you shouldn't feel too alienated. Also, us Scots are pretty welcoming so don't worry.
3) There are loads of unis in the UK and quite a few different ranking boards. The Complete Uni Guide puts them at 40/130 overall but varies depending on your subject. Some rankings put them higher and others lower. They're pretty middle of the road, perhaps above average.
4) Not sure, but they're not too strict (with entry requirements) from my own experience.
6) The town may at first look pretty grey, which it is, because of all the granite buildings. However, there's plenty of amenities and a decent beach. Aberdeen is not known for it's good weather though and it can get pretty windy. The Old Town, where the uni is based is actually very pleasant with cobbled streets, old fishing cottages etc. The nightlife is fine. Definitely not as good as Edinburgh or Glasgow but way above everything else in the country. A few clubs, lots of pubs/bars. Expect to drink a lot, if that's your thing as that's like standard at uni.