The Student Room Group

Got Offer from 3 Universities but don't know which one to choose.

I got offers from 3 universities for automotive engineering. I don't know which university I should take as my firm and insurance choice. These are the universities:
University Of Sussex-3Bs
Coventry University-1A 2Bs
Brunel University-3Bs
I am looking for a university with good graduate prospect, student satisfaction and also how good the teaching is for the course I have applied for.
Reply 1
Check out the league tables and see which one ranks the highest for each of your criteria.

Also, have you visited each of the unis?
Reply 2
Original post by flabi
Check out the league tables and see which one ranks the highest for each of your criteria.

Also, have you visited each of the unis?

I am an international student so I can't visit these universities. I have checked the league tables. The ranks are pretty close. Can't just look at ranks alone right? I checked other stuff outside the league tables like the survey and all. It seemed to pretty close even in those. I am still confused. Personally which university would you prefer from these 3?
Original post by suwakeesh
I am an international student so I can't visit these universities. I have checked the league tables. The ranks are pretty close. Can't just look at ranks alone right? I checked other stuff outside the league tables like the survey and all. It seemed to pretty close even in those. I am still confused. Personally which university would you prefer from these 3?

The University of Sussex generally has a better reputation out of the three universities you have listed. However, you need to find out which of the three courses are better suited towards your needs/interests, as ultimately that will be more important. Also you have to think about location and budgeting, for example, Brunel University is in London - would you be able to afford to live there? There's a lot to think about so take your time.

I would advise to look at the course content, any student satisfaction surveys for your specific course, and the location of each university (would you enjoy living there?)
Where do you want to live for the next 3 -4 years?

The same course title doesn't mean the course modules will be the same. Have you had a look at the course content?
If the courses are pretty similar, the ranking are pretty similar and they'll all get you where you wanna go I guess it's about where you get the best vibe from both with the campus and the wider city. Have you looked at the cities online? What do people say about them? Maybe see if there are tours or student blogs on youtube about the uni. Are they campus or are they built into the city. Do they have good nightlife/sports/whatever you're into etc.

Personally I'd say Sussex, just because I really like Brighton, but that's a personal preference. It's really cool and chilled down there, great nightlife, good music scene, lots of alternative stuff going on (markets, food places, cafes/bars etc) and you're by the sea. Brunel is by London, so if you want to live in/near London that's a good bet. I don't know anything about Coventry as it's sort of in the middle of nowhere :tongue: I think it's quite pretty there though??
Reply 6
I got offers from 3 universities for automotive engineering. I don't know which university I should take as my firm and insurance choice. These are the universities:
University Of Sussex-3Bs
Coventry University-1A 2Bs
Brunel University-3Bs
I am looking for a university with good graduate prospect, student satisfaction and also how good the teaching is for the course I have applied for.

If cost is an issue UoSussex is in Brighton which is almost as expensive to live in as London. But is a pretty funky seaside town so you may consider it to be worth the cost :smile:

(TSR is based in Brighton :smile: )
Reply 7

Tbh I'm not sure which I would prefer because I haven't looked at these unis specifically, but definitely research the cities that they are in and see if you like the sound of them. Also consider the size of the engineering departments in each (I would prefer a larger physics department for myself, but I have a friend who wants to be in a small department), and research the unis themselves. Are they spread over a city or are they campus? Is the campus mainly buildings or full of green space? And which of the above do you prefer?

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by flabi
Tbh I'm not sure which I would prefer because I haven't looked at these unis specifically, but definitely research the cities that they are in and see if you like the sound of them. Also consider the size of the engineering departments in each (I would prefer a larger physics department for myself, but I have a friend who wants to be in a small department), and research the unis themselves. Are they spread over a city or are they campus? Is the campus mainly buildings or full of green space? And which of the above do you prefer?

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks alot for your help. I will definitely look into it. Again thanks for your kind support😀
Reply 9
[QUOTE="AmeliaLost;72588102"]If the courses are pretty similar, the ranking are pretty similar and they'll all get you where you wanna go I guess it's about where you get the best vibe from both with the campus and the wider city. Have you looked at the cities online? What do people say about them? Maybe see if there are tours or student blogs on youtube about the uni. Are they campus or are they built into the city. Do they have good nightlife/sports/whatever you're into etc.

Personally I'd say Sussex, just because I really like Brighton, but that's a personal preference. It's really cool and chilled down there, great nightlife, good music scene, lots of alternative stuff going on (markets, food places, cafes/bars etc) and you're by the sea. Brunel is by London, so if you want to live in/near London that's a good bet. I don't know anything about Coventry as it's sort of in the middle of nowhere :tongue: I think it's q
Original post by Doonesbury
If cost is an issue UoSussex is in Brighton which is almost as expensive to live in as London. But is a pretty funky seaside town so you may consider it to be worth the cost :smile:

(TSR is based in Brighton :smile: )

the cost of living is important for me. I need a place where the cost of living is reasonable.
Reply 10
thank you all for your kind support.😁
Reply 11
the cost of living is important for me. I need a place where the cost of living is reasonable.

Check the universities own cost of living pages for *some* guidance.

Sussex
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-scholarships/living-costs-budget

Brunel
https://www.brunel.ac.uk/international/living-in-the-UK/living-costs

Coventry
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/international-students-hub/new-students/coming-to-the-uk/living-costs-in-the-uk/
Reply 13
thanks alot for your help. I will definitely look into it. Again thanks for your kind support😀

No problem, I wish you all the best :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by flabi
No problem, I wish you all the best :smile:

thanks 😁

Quick Reply

Latest