How many GCSE's should you be taking? Watch

TheV1llain27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently take 10 GCSE's is this the average amount or does it not matter how many you actually take. I thought about this because a lot of my friends are taking 9 GCSE's. What does this all mean? I f you want to do A-Levels how many do you need? Am I fine with 10 GCSE's?
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved from News and current affairs to GCSEs!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saras2710)
I currently take 10 GCSE's is this the average amount or does it not matter how many you actually take. I thought about this because a lot of my friends are taking 9 GCSE's. What does this all mean? I f you want to do A-Levels how many do you need? Am I fine with 10 GCSE's?
You are fine with that many.

Min number is 2 including Maths and English to get on an Access course.

The sixth form may have its won entry requirements sometimes asking for a B in the subject you wish to study. Check the entry requirements.

Better number is 5 including the above for a certain level of jobs and some uni courses.

Then if you have 7+ you are getting towards a full complement and they wont care. Emphasis is really on A levels.

It wont matter whether someone has nine or ten.
Daydreamer3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took 9 gcse's and only those who did further maths in my school took 10. In our school those who didnt do triple science took maybe 10 or 11 because they had to do less work I think but idk.
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've seen people with between 7-12 GCSEs on TSR. It really depends on the school, but you should be fine with 10 GCSEs. I took 9, got offered to do further maths too which would've taken it up to 10, and even tried sociology for a while which would've taken it up to 12. At GCSEs you should be fine with this many because the subjects don't really have a lot of difficult content. When you start them, it might be a good idea to rank them in order of hardest to easiest so you can work out how to prioritise your revision
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to do A-levels, you will need 5. However, the average grade system penalizes those who take fewer than 8 (I think if you get fewer than 8 GCSEs, your total grade points are still divided by 8) - some courses require a certain minimum average grade. You will also need certain GCSEs for certain subjects - for example, either Physics or Double Science for a Physics A-level. The less common subjects tend to only require 5 or more A*-C including English and Maths since they wouldn't expect people to have done the subject at GCSE.

10 is plenty. I'm going to end up with 13, but I'm a rare case :P. Most people at my school are on 9 or 10, just like at your school. Also, do you do Triple Science? If so, that might explain why you're doing 10 and others are doing 9.
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
9-11 is the average I would say, I know a few who did 8 and some that did 13 or 14, but overall it doesn't matter how many you take but what grades you get in the ones you do take. You won't be judged for doing 10, as it's dependent on school. You need 5 to study a levels, but most people do 9,10 or 11.
TheV1llain27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks Everyone!
Jodora F
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I moved school son year 11 and I went from doing 9 subjects to 7
I
Alwaked
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello
I want to ask about Btec. I have done applied science level 2 diploma and I get D*D*D*. I would like to know does the university accept Btec. As I want to study pharmacy at the university also I am studying axcess to HE science will that be accepted to study pharmacy.
Last edited by Alwaked; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (161)
60.98%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.17%
No- I want it (74)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (18)